Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 02:46 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,958 times

Advertisements

I'm curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 05:32 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Each person responds differently to antidepressants. Once I found the ones that worked for me and had no side effects, I felt nothing but improvement in mood status and depression level.

They virtually saved my life. It took a long time to get the proper ones with least side effects but now I've been stable on them for many years.

Are you having what might be depression, OP? We talk about it openly here on cd, nothing to be ashamed about...perhaps you can start by discussing with your family MD. Or have you a counselor??

Old 12-31-2018, 05:35 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
does it work?
yes.
How did you feel before/after?
before: depressed. after: not depressed.

however....
the effect diminishes
after constant doses.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:52 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
does it work?
yes.
How did you feel before/after?
before: depressed. after: not depressed.

however....
the effect diminishes
after constant doses.

Really? Mine has not diminished though I've heard some say that.
Maybe time to switch to a different med..?

Old 12-31-2018, 07:32 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Google the efficacy.

Anti-depressants don't work as advertised for most people.

There are scholarly articles you can read that say this.

You are smart for asking.

There are many bad side effects.

The people who promote drug use as a fix might not be the best to take advice from.

There are many, many ways to deal with depression that don't involve toxic substances. If interested, google "natural remedies for depression" (or "anxiety") - lots of good info out there. This forum is not the best for scholarly advice or natural remedies.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:11 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
OP you have to realize that personal accounts using AD meds can only be anecdotal; C-D forum members can relate how they worked for them, but no one can make a blanket statement whether they are useful or not unless they provide impartial proof for those statements. To be credible that would need to be backed up with scientific study and peer reviewed data analysis. AFAIK no members here are doing clinical research on efficacy of AD medications nor are they psychopharmacologists. There is no law that says you can't stop using some AD if it doesn't help you. There will always be people here who adamantly claim ADs are ineffective or unnecessary. That is an opinion or at best a personal experience. They affect individuals differently. I can tell you they have been effective for me over quite a few years, but that is all I can claim. I had the most common side effect of weight gain but other than that nothing serious enough to discontinue them. So much better than the alternative.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-02-2019 at 02:36 AM..

Old 01-04-2019, 04:57 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
They have different effects and are good for different things. For me, Prozac helps lift the depression cloud, but makes me quite irritable. It does nothing for my social anxiety. Zoloft alleviates my social anxiety, but doesn't help my depression much. Sometimes an AD can be prescribed with other classes of meds.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:06 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
There are a ton of scholarly articles out there that indicate antidepressants don't work, and further, that they have negative side effects. Think also of the long-term side-effects!

Here's one article:

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ey-so-popular/

Old 01-04-2019, 08:10 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I have tried a few, some for up to a year.

The one that had the most impact on me, Effexor, just made me feel kinda groggy and lethargic.

Kinda disappointing was my experience with ADs.........maybe I will try a different one someday.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:13 AM

69 posts, read 32,215 times
Since I went on anti-depressants decades ago, I've tried about half the ones that exist. It is hard not to ignore the warnings that they may actually increase the risk of suicide for some people, like working in reverse. For me, they don't really work, but withdrawal could be fatal. Getting into the state medical cannabis program is my only hope. It would be vaping oil, not smoking.

I told my therapist about 20 years ago that I discovered that if I smoke some cannabis and it makes me numb, my anxiety and depression goes away. He responded "I think you may have a neurological disorder".
As best as I know, they don't have an effective pill for neurological disorders. A psychiatrist who quit prescribing pills (see madinamerica.com) said very long-term use may take many years off a person's life.

That has me very worried. Best wishes to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health