Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 09:23 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have a "Twitter" friend I've gotten acquainted with - both play video games and such. We talk on the phone now too. I'm in California, he's in Florida. He's in his late 20s and just the last few weeks he's been hit with a deep depression. Never has had it before. He's off to the VA hospital for a few days (longer?) for evaluation, counseling and medication adjustments to try to get it under control.

He called today and told me he felt so sad, alone and empty that last Thursday he contemplated suicide. Being former military he has a gun and fortunately had the foresight to give it to a trusted person until this passes.

I was just wondering what can I say to a person with severe depression? Today I just listened without trying to offer up "fixes" or whatever. I told him he could call me day or night if he ever needed to. He kept thanking me for talking with him. I'm really worried about him. He has family and friends in his town (including an ex and young son), but apparently likes to talk with me about it. I guess being we've never met face to face its just easier to unload a bit on me than worry his parents.

I just wonder what I should do if he ever calls here talking about suicide again. I know what town he lives in, but not his address. Would I call the police if I ever got a bad feeling from a phone call? I do have his parent's address - he had me mail something to them once since he's not home during the day. I guess I could give that to the police. I don't mind - I just don't want to make a mistake. I've never had a friend talk to me about things like this. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 09:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Give him the Suicide Crisis phone number - beyond that, just encourage him to seek help immediately.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:22 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Hello everyone. I have a "Twitter" friend I've gotten acquainted with - both play video games and such. We talk on the phone now too. I'm in California, he's in Florida. He's in his late 20s and just the last few weeks he's been hit with a deep depression. Never has had it before. He's off to the VA hospital for a few days (longer?) for evaluation, counseling and medication adjustments to try to get it under control.

He called today and told me he felt so sad, alone and empty that last Thursday he contemplated suicide. Being former military he has a gun and fortunately had the foresight to give it to a trusted person until this passes.

I was just wondering what can I say to a person with severe depression? Today I just listened without trying to offer up "fixes" or whatever. I told him he could call me day or night if he ever needed to. He kept thanking me for talking with him. I'm really worried about him. He has family and friends in his town (including an ex and young son), but apparently likes to talk with me about it. I guess being we've never met face to face its just easier to unload a bit on me than worry his parents.

I just wonder what I should do if he ever calls here talking about suicide again. I know what town he lives in, but not his address. Would I call the police if I ever got a bad feeling from a phone call? I do have his parent's address - he had me mail something to them once since he's not home during the day. I guess I could give that to the police. I don't mind - I just don't want to make a mistake. I've never had a friend talk to me about things like this. Thanks for any advice you can give.
I worked in the Florida State Government as a consultant for almost a decade. They have a website for this type of situation.
Suicide Prevention | Florida Department of Health

Suicide prevention is key. Depression can be a symptom of PTSD - not just for combat but also for national guardsmen who were first responders at a national disaster like a hurricane or earthquake.

Suicide has a ripple effect. The tragedies with Parkland are examples. There are others. I watched an excellent video by a Veteran who met others from his former unit in Iraq after a friend had committed suicide. At the end of the film, they break down at his grave while consuming hard liquor. It was very sad.
Army veteran takes up cause to stop veteran suicides | Local | newsbug.info

The scary thing is that I have been using my database background to search for the unit, film, characters of that documentary, but the google searches are numerous for cases of suicide among veterans with PTSD - which is really concerning. The search results are too large despite my attempts to use my data mining skills and machine learning knowledge to "narrow it down".

Old 03-26-2019, 02:29 PM

I will keep that link handy. Hopefully we'll never need it. I think he's in the VA hospital today - haven't heard from him and he's quiet on social media. He said it would be at least a couple days for the evaluation. Maybe they can steer him in the direction of support groups too. Thank you very much for responding!

Old 03-26-2019, 03:41 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
You're a good friend, OP. Listening is one of the things you can do to help....encourage therapy, support group, MD help etc.

Should he mention with
certainty suicide, contact the police in his area for a wellness check or suggest he call his parents or go to the ER. Do tell him you're going to call someone....perhaps you should write his parents for his address.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:03 PM

854 posts, read 520,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Give him the Suicide Crisis phone number - beyond that, just encourage him to seek help immediately.
Sigh

Old 03-26-2019, 04:13 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Also watch out for signs if his mood is very positive or overly happy. If he starts cleaning house, giving things away, getting things in order. I know from personal experience that sometimes when you think someone is doing really good, it's actually when they've turned a corner, made a plan, and feel a sense of relief that they will soon be done with the pain. You might notice in news stories about suicide that you'll hear friends and family say things like they thought they were getting better, or they had just bought a self help book or booked a vacation or started a new diet... positive life changing things. It's hard for someone who hasn't experienced suicidal thoughts or severe depression to understand. I know someone who got a pedicure the morning of her suicide.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:15 PM

39 posts, read 20,350 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I have a "Twitter" friend I've gotten acquainted with - both play video games and such. We talk on the phone now too. I'm in California, he's in Florida.

You need to decide for yourself if you want to be a geographically remote social worker/case manager
to a virtual stranger who sees you as a toilet in which to offload their negative emotions. You are way
over on the other side of the continent and being placed in an untenable situation to take onboard
a major guilt-trip if you 'make a mistake'.

Leave it to the professionals and be firm in your own boundaries when it comes to who you
permit to transition from online aquaintance to your real world space. You are not required to
subscribe to this person's issues.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkali View Post
You need to decide for yourself if you want to be a geographically remote social worker/case manager
to a virtual stranger who sees you as a toilet in which to offload their negative emotions. You are way
over on the other side of the continent and being placed in an untenable situation to take onboard
a major guilt-trip if you 'make a mistake'.

Leave it to the professionals and be firm in your own boundaries when it comes to who you
permit to transition from online aquaintance to your real world space. You are not required to
subscribe to this person's issues.

I understand that and I'm not some gullible teenager. I've probably voice chatted with him more lately playing video games than I do most people I know right here, not to mention the phone calls. I consider him a friend (and visa versa) not a "virtual stranger". The whole comment about being a toilet for negative emotions was just rude. This is the first time he's every been anything up upbeat and happy in the months I've known him. If you had a serious issue wouldn't you want to have someone you could confide in?

Old 03-27-2019, 04:46 PM

39 posts, read 20,350 times
Quote:
I understand that and I'm not some gullible teenager.
So you're a gullible adult then? Can you confirm that the address he gave you really is his parent's address?

Quote:
I've probably voice chatted with him more lately playing video games than I do most people I know right here, not to mention the phone calls. I consider him a friend (and visa versa) not a "virtual stranger". The whole comment about being a toilet for negative emotions was just rude. This is the first time he's every been anything up upbeat and happy in the months I've known him. If you had a serious issue wouldn't you want to have someone you could confide in?
This is about your issue with a person who you only connect with while playing video games.

If you spend a significant time online in those communities, I gather you would sense if
you're being 'catfished'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health