Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 01:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

Thinking about this subject since a member brought it up on another post. I think it was 2005 so about 14 yrs ago I ended up with an attack, I had no idea what it was...feared heart attack. But it was not and ER sent me home with Lorazepam and I took that drug for some time and then found info on Memory Loss issues with these benzos. Back then I don't believe I was as heavy into Magnesium as I am now nor Inositol which I found to work for me maybe 10 yrs ago or less.

I stopped the Lorazepam when I heard about the memory and stick with primarily higher magnesium and inositol.

Natural Alternatives To Xanax, Ativan, And Anti-Anxiety Drugs - Reset.me

So many are taking these benzos and finding with later years, losing memory functions. Sure makes me wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 06:58 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I've been on Lorazepam since 2002. While I have reduced my dose from 3 mg. a day to 1 1/2 mg before bed, it is very hard to wean off of. I have also found that my memory is not as sharp as it used to be. I take magnesium but inositol did not work for me. I can't remember why (no pun intended) but I think it gave me anxiety or depression.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:01 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Interesting article, thanks for posting it. After reading it I did some research on Magnesium (brand specific) and learned a lot, and after ordering a new supply (Life Extension, highest rated by Labdoor.com) I am getting back on it after running out of it. Also interested in trying Kava.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:14 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
I just had my annual wellness check, and my doctor said to stop taking both Inositol and magnesium, which I'd been using for insomnia. Neither seemed to be helping that much anyway. I still take California poppy extract at bedtime. It has a mild sedative effect.

Some people find that CBD (cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive component of the cannabis plant) is good for anxiety, though I haven't experienced this effect personally. If it's legal where you live, indica strains of cannabis can also be sedating. You have to be careful with the dosage, though, as too much THC (tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive component of the plant) can cause anxiety, paranoia and heart palpitations.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I have friend who has been on Lexapro for more than 15 yrs—since her husband passed away- for anxiety
She had some health scares this year that lead to fears she might have pancreatic cancer and then lung cancer—she had what was supposed to be an “easy” laparoscopic surgery to remove what biopsy said was non-cancer granularoma that a surgeon thought was still “suspicious” only to have it turn out to be a benign granularoma
And she had more diffuse surgery than anticipated
So she has lot of stress and health anxiety (her daughter’s own anxiety didn’t help)
Her PCP who encouraged her to have the surgery put her on Xanax in addition to her continuing Lexapro to help cope with her anxiety and sleeplessness and heightened emotions (lot of crying)...
She was taking 1 AM and ! PM—for about 3 mo—now she is taking just 1in the AM

I am concerned that she will find it very difficult to stop the Xanax
But I am also concerned after reading about its relationship to dementia

I take Xanax sporadically for anxiety attacks—but nothing as regular as a daily dose and usually only half a 10mg tab...
But I am going to talk to my doctor about using something else
Neither of my parents had dementia—and I had hoped to avoid it

Old 04-13-2019, 07:15 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I just had my annual wellness check, and my doctor said to stop taking both Inositol and magnesium, which I'd been using for insomnia. Neither seemed to be helping that much anyway. I still take California poppy extract at bedtime. It has a mild sedative effect.

Some people find that CBD (cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive component of the cannabis plant) is good for anxiety, though I haven't experienced this effect personally. If it's legal where you live, indica strains of cannabis can also be sedating. You have to be careful with the dosage, though, as too much THC (tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive component of the plant) can cause anxiety, paranoia and heart palpitations.
Maybe the two were doing more than you realized. Why did your doc say to get off. Is the doc a regular allopathic doc? I have a new post in Alt Med about the incredible night's sleep I had last night.

I still take mag and inositol and just took 500mg mag a few minutes ago. I take it thru the day.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:56 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Maybe the two were doing more than you realized. Why did your doc say to get off. Is the doc a regular allopathic doc? I have a new post in Alt Med about the incredible night's sleep I had last night.

I still take mag and inositol and just took 500mg mag a few minutes ago. I take it thru the day.
He's a conventional allopathic doctor. The reason he gave for stopping the magnesium and inositol, he said, is they are not necessary. He believes that most people get all the B vitamins we need in our diet. He also said he had recently learned some new information about B vitamins which influenced his decision, but he didn't elaborate.

Personally I feel there is no harm in taking extra B vitamins as they are water-soluble and any excess gets excreted in your urine. However, these two substances weren't giving me any noticeable benefits, so I didn't mind quitting. I still use cannabis, which is the most relaxing of all the things I've tried, and my doctor is all in favor of it.

I will check out your latest post, jaminhealth.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:42 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
SOME alternatives that I have found helpful:

* Aromatherapy]
* Flower Essences
* Regular massage
* Good sleep
* B vitamins, magnesium, D3
* Low dosage CBD/THC mint (called Breez)
* Deep breathing 4/7/8 breathing
* Yoga
* Walking or other exercise (regular)
* Beautiful surroundings - good Feng Shui, flowers, etc.
* Dogs
* Friends
* Good therapist, but not "talk therapy" - More art/Jungian style
* Reading up on neuroplasticity and applying principles, re: thoughts
* CBT techniques (or therapy)
* Healthy, organic diet
* Acts of service - volunteering
* Gratitude list
* Painting
* Music
* Collage
* Appreciating beauty
* Good Feng Shui in home
* Love of self and practice of self-love
* Meditation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health