Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 07:33 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I'm sorry. Everyone is responsible for their own lives and their own happiness.

I have people around me (addicts) who threaten suicide CONSTANTLY. I have sent a couple to rehab. I have done everything I can do. It is up to them to decide whether to live or die.

I am not going to be guilted into "you should have done more."

NO! YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE MORE TO DEAL WITH YOUR MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES (OR WHATEVER IT IS THAT IS DRIVING YOU TO THIS POINT).

Every human has pain and trauma. Some cannot handle it and seek to escape "the easy way."

I believe in karma and don't believe they will get the relief they are seeking.

Bunch of cowards these days (not talking about the kids - the kids are in bad shape because U.S. society SUCKS - and no one really cares that life is difficult for many kids). But bottom line: It is still their lives and their karma.
Yeah everyone is responsible, and I have little to no sympathy for the drug abusers. You reap what you sow.
Substance abuse is one thing. But what about those who just had streak of bad luck, and loved ones won't help? I'm talking about those not using drugs/alcohol nor have any history of same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 08:16 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Yeah everyone is responsible, and I have little to no sympathy for the drug abusers. You reap what you sow.
Substance abuse is one thing. But what about those who just had streak of bad luck, and loved ones won't help? I'm talking about those not using drugs/alcohol nor have any history of same?
Just deal with it. Get help for processing your emotions and find ways to deal with stress and disappointment and coping . . . life is not easy. Expecting to be, is a set-up for failure.

No one owes you anything - family or not.

Find a support group. There is lots of help if you want it.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:25 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
It’s cliché, but I distinctly remember acting friendly, social, and cheery at a celebration while planning a suicide attempt the entire time (which I never ended up carrying out, and I’m not suicidal anymore)
They say people are actually cheerful as they try to end their life but maybe it's just a put on.

I've never felt suicidal. I can't imagine feeling despair where there is no hope and I hope I never feel it. To me suicide is at the point where nothing in this world will make it better, not all the money or fame or power or whatever you've always wanted, that's why I think it's a form of mental illness, though some people are prone to it and I've heard it can be hereditary.

I only know one person who's ever done it and it was not a friend it was a distant family member thru marriage.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:15 PM

3,954 posts, read 2,572,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Ok so what if I just stuck my head in an oven or parked in a enclosed garage with the engine running? The semi driver will be left alone.

Rick, I feel you. I have been alone most of my adult life, having no clue what to do to get better or to make it through the troubles I faced- job wise, friends to bounce ideas off, anyone to lean on with my depression. Not to overdue it, to overwhelm anyone- just knowing someone hears me would help but no one is available. And have felt the stigma of depression when people were cruel in regards to my depression.

It hurts so much! I am still facing all of it and still don't know how it will EVER work out.

And yes, I have been suicidal- saying to myself over and over- I don't want to be! But I cannot, will not hurt myself. The pain I feel from my life might seem low compared to dying at my own will, hurting me more. Maybe it wouldn't? I am not willing to take that chance.

I hold on. I take care of ME instead others- my mom calls and I am in a bad place? I don't answer. I remind myself I am doing the best I can. I get out of the house if I feel up to it. Or I don't if I can't face the world (anyone I would see when out!). I cancel doctors appts in those times, they are my only outlet too! Which is hard but if it's too much, it is.

I've been through this for over 20 years!! I didn't know why I felt so bad for half of that time. I finally understood where the pain was coming from, so I think I should be able to get beyond it already!

But getting through depression, rough times, emotional pain, frustrations we face-- is not always linear! A happens, so now B happens and that brings on C! (Besides life is not an algebra problem no matter what your math teacher may have said. )

That gives me hope actually. You don't have certain things in place to make things happen. Change in our life can come at any moment. You are not broken just because people have rejected you or not been open to you. Open your eyes and heart to life around you. You never know when something good will happen!

Telling myself this as much as saying it to you- and I am saying it to each and every one listening. =)

Last edited by Wild Flower; 10-21-2019 at 09:34 PM..

Old 10-22-2019, 04:22 PM

3,954 posts, read 2,572,591 times
Well- I am embarrassed. Guess my post was a thread killer. Embarrassed I shared too much. Guess it doesn't matter much.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:10 PM

815 posts, read 980,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Well- I am embarrassed. Guess my post was a thread killer. Embarrassed I shared too much. Guess it doesn't matter much.
I found your post very inspiring. I appreciate your sharing.
Thank you.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:20 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Thread returned after moderator review. Please remember that you may discuss a topic and disagree with another poster but personal attacks are not permitted.

Also if you are having suicidal thoughts, turning to the internet to discuss them might do more harm than good. A licensed therapist or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) is a better alternative.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 10-24-2019, 11:02 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
And I apologize for my last post. I did in fact talk to someone and have gotten help and support.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:04 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I'm a Gen X'er, but I get your point. People make no effort at friendships anymore. Its so frustrating and sad. Its hard to stay optimistic when I've done all this work on myself and still in the same situation, especially at my age. I'm trying.
One thing that can help you immensly is volunteering at an animal shelter to walk dogs, play with cats, etc if you like animals. Or volunteer at a homeless shelter, or as a Big Brother/Big Sister, or at a nursing home. At a nursing home there are so many people that would love to have someone come talk to them and listen to their stories or have someone read their local (to them from "home") news articles. Volunteering gives you a purpose, and makes you know that you are making a difference. You get back much more than you give.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:40 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
One thing that can help you immensly is volunteering at an animal shelter to walk dogs, play with cats, etc if you like animals. Or volunteer at a homeless shelter, or as a Big Brother/Big Sister, or at a nursing home. At a nursing home there are so many people that would love to have someone come talk to them and listen to their stories or have someone read their local (to them from "home") news articles. Volunteering gives you a purpose, and makes you know that you are making a difference. You get back much more than you give.
Yep, in the process of doing that. I did the Big Brother thing years ago, and I don't believe I made much of a difference. I also felt ill equipped at the time. I had just gone through a divorce and starting my now 10 year mourning period of not having kids. Volunteering there didn't help, and maybe I did it for the wrong reasons. I was also depressed at the time. Nursing home is also a good idea, just not sure I'd want to given I think about my own mortality daily since turning 50. That said, I get along really well with the elderly and always have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health