Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 10:51 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
They say people are actually cheerful as they try to end their life but maybe it's just a put on.
It is a put on. Many people say that they never saw it coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 05:22 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Loneliness increases the likelihood of disease and dying younger. So my question is, why would I wait until I get cancer or something. Why not get ahead of it? I don't know. When hope is gone, what are you supposed to do?
What worked for me was setting a goal. Last year, right before Christmas, I was hospitalized for almost two weeks with a serious suicide attempt and subsequent stay at a "treatment center". I had already signed up for my first 5K race to occur in early February. Unfortunately, my attempt caused me rhabdomyolysis in my left leg so I had to change my goal from winning to just completing the race. Sunday I signed up for the same race and this time my goal is to come in the top five for my age group. It got me out of the funk that I have been in for weeks.

Atlguy do you have friends where you live?

Old 11-19-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
They say people are actually cheerful as they try to end their life but maybe it's just a put on.

I've never felt suicidal. I can't imagine feeling despair where there is no hope and I hope I never feel it. To me suicide is at the point where nothing in this world will make it better, not all the money or fame or power or whatever you've always wanted, that's why I think it's a form of mental illness, though some people are prone to it and I've heard it can be hereditary.

I only know one person who's ever done it and it was not a friend it was a distant family member thru marriage.
The bolded is exactly true. When I'm having a bad depressive episode I always feel like if someone told me I won the lottery it wouldn't help a bit. That's a true sign that it is not just situational.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:21 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
What worked for me was setting a goal. Last year, right before Christmas, I was hospitalized for almost two weeks with a serious suicide attempt and subsequent stay at a "treatment center". I had already signed up for my first 5K race to occur in early February. Unfortunately, my attempt caused me rhabdomyolysis in my left leg so I had to change my goal from winning to just completing the race. Sunday I signed up for the same race and this time my goal is to come in the top five for my age group. It got me out of the funk that I have been in for weeks.

Atlguy do you have friends where you live?
I have a few friends, not many since this isn't my hometown. It's just sad. I do have something to look forward to now though, so I'm doing ok.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:58 AM

Glad to hear that. :-)

Old 11-19-2019, 01:55 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:

I've never felt suicidal. I can't imagine feeling despair where there is no hope and I hope I never feel it. To me suicide is at the point where nothing in this world will make it better, not all the money or fame or power or whatever you've always wanted, that's why I think it's a form of mental illness, though some people are prone to it and I've heard it can be hereditary.

I only know one person who's ever done it and it was not a friend it was a distant family member thru marriage.
I think sometimes people are at ease once they've made a decision to end their life, how ever sad that decision may seem to an onlooker. I guess it makes sense if someone is looking for an end to pain, and they believe they've found one, to feel like a burden has been lifted.

When we talk about suicide, I always feel the need to add that I hope people seek help when they feel like harming themselves. I'm not judging those feelings or even the choice should someone make it, but I'd feel remiss if I didn't suggest that their might be another answer.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:22 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
There was an ex-cop turned lawyer who committed suicide because he had some incurable disease and didn't want to be a burden on his family. He went to a cemetery and blew his brains out. It was considerate of him to do it there. I think suicidal people are brave, the ones who actually do it. We all die. These folks get to choose when and how.

Me, I am too much of a coward to do it. All the options are messy and painful.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-19-2019 at 07:49 PM..

Old 11-21-2019, 02:01 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Yeah everyone is responsible, and I have little to no sympathy for the drug abusers. You reap what you sow.
Substance abuse is one thing. But what about those who just had streak of bad luck, and loved ones won't help? I'm talking about those not using drugs/alcohol nor have any history of same?

I have first-hand experience with this. No one cares much for a person who has no drug or alcohol abuse issues. No one wants to help someone with a streak of bad luck because it means the person is either careless, clueless, or some other reason making them unable to figure things out, such as a personality disorder.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Yep, in the process of doing that. I did the Big Brother thing years ago, and I don't believe I made much of a difference. I also felt ill equipped at the time. I had just gone through a divorce and starting my now 10 year mourning period of not having kids. Volunteering there didn't help, and maybe I did it for the wrong reasons. I was also depressed at the time. Nursing home is also a good idea, just not sure I'd want to given I think about my own mortality daily since turning 50. That said, I get along really well with the elderly and always have.
You sound like a great guy, at least from the things I read that you have posted. Don't get discouraged.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Ok so what if I just stuck my head in an oven or parked in a enclosed garage with the engine running? The semi driver will be left alone.
That doesn't work anymore. They changed the exhaust fumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health