Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 08:49 PM

204 posts, read 144,622 times

Advertisements

I'm dealing with a very downing recent event in my life and very depressed as aftermath goes on..I'll eventually get past this but I need time alone as much as lossible....I almost d ont want to come out of the house or socialize at this moment.....and to going to work is not a good option...have no energy nor interest.....I have good insurance and benefits from job....I'm off now with annual leave for a week....but I want more time approved by a mental therapist or so as I'm not sure when I'll go back. I have enough sick time to take a month off.......who would I need to go and see first....I live in Marietta area of atlanta......thanx for suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 11:28 PM

158 posts, read 144,096 times
You can request getting FMLA time off from your job. Your counselor can complete the paperwork. I am a therapist and I have filled out the paperwork for many of my clients. You can request several weeks time off if needed. You won’t get paid for it but you can use your sick and annual leave while you’re out. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:39 PM

204 posts, read 144,622 times
Default Time off from depression

I go see a behavior health counselor tomorrow 3pm....not so sure of her services but was soonest I could find......I have over 200 something sick hrs from work and 300 something hrs of annual......it was tuff selecting counselor as most are booked to November.....I don't have primary counselor if that matters or not.....

Old 10-22-2019, 05:55 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,713,576 times
OP: Sounds like your issue is "situational" and will eventually pass. When I went thru a major situation in my life yrs ago, getting out to work and doing things were the best medicine for me. To sit and dwell on things FOR ME was not an answer. Since you have so many sick hours head for a sunny beach and get some good Vit D....sounds like a good plan to me. Speaking of Vit D how are your levels. When I found how deficient I was in 2006, found my Vit D tank was SO LOW.

Sun is a great healer and as you said "you'll get past this"...isolating oneself is not healthy. Think things out in the SUN.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:11 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,787,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: Sounds like your issue is "situational" and will eventually pass. When I went thru a major situation in my life yrs ago, getting out to work and doing things were the best medicine for me. To sit and dwell on things FOR ME was not an answer. Since you have so many sick hours head for a sunny beach and get some good Vit D....sounds like a good plan to me. Speaking of Vit D how are your levels. When I found how deficient I was in 2006, found my Vit D tank was SO LOW.

Sun is a great healer and as you said "you'll get past this"...isolating oneself is not healthy. Think things out in the SUN.
I agree with this advice. I was deeply depressed in 2008-2010 as I was unemployed and went through a divorce. Staying home in isolation made it worse, almost to the point of suicide. So yes, if you do take time away from work get out of the house even if its just long walks.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:20 AM

13,179 posts, read 7,263,954 times
You can get FLMA paperwork from your HR department that will save your job for 12 working weeks any MD can sign off on those. Some employers offer short term disability which will pay your salary during that time I found they require more paper work and more of your medical records as well as a treatment plan. Generally at least my experience with my own employer is they seem to accept FLMA fairly easily since they are not required to pay you. I would speak to your HR department about it. Most employers don't want to tangle with FLMA lawsuit so they just accept a one line type explanation from your doctor why you need the time off. Probably quicker just see your regular MD so you can get that filled out then make an appointment with someone else lot of times general Practitioner also prescribe one of the light depression meds like prozac if you want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health