Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 06:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Breathing exercises, mindfulness exercises, etc. can be useful, if the episode is caught before escalating into full blown panic attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 06:29 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I second the Dr. Claire Weekes book (and audio recordings). She helped me so much.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:54 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
Panic attacks are not the same as anxiety. In a panic attack your heart beats like a drum and you have an overwhelming need to escape. I developed panic attacks about 6 months after 911. I drove into a housing development where all the houses looked the same and the streets were a maze and my heart started beating like a drum and I felt claustrophobic and had to get out of there. If I was in an elevator I felt claustrophobic. If I was in a store or restaurant where I couldn't see the exit I would start to panic. What I did was to avoid putting myself in those places that brought on the panic. I took the stairs not the elevator. I sat at a table where I could see the door in restaurants. I didn't shop in giant maze like stores like Target. The one thing I couldn't avoid was the subway to go and come from work. I imagined what I would do if trapped in a subway car. I loaded my briefcase with survival/escape tools, a large wrench, hammer and screw drivers and flashlights, energy bars, and water. I also had a cassette recorder with self hypnosis relaxation tapes. Of course I never needed to use the escape/survival kit and eventually I started taking elevators again but they made me secure enough to take the subway.

When I experienced panic attacks for no reason at home I would just sit in an easy chair, hold on to the arm rests and ride the attack out. It might take 20 minutes or so but I held on like I was on a roller coaster ride. Eventually they stopped as I gained confidence in my ability to ride them out.

The panic attack incidents lasted a year or so. I still sit near the door in restaurants. But the attacks have never returned.

There are some good youtube videos on dealing with panic attacks. Essentially they get you to acknowledge the threat is in your head but not real, that you can control them in time, and by facing them rather than fearing them or using drugs to mask them you can get rid of them.

When I first got panic attacks I was prescribed tranquilizers and were popping them like candy. In a short time I realized they weren't working so I sought out and found out better ways to deal. You don't have to deal with everything. You can avoid things that make you uncomfortable until they no longer do. But if something is important, like taking the subway to work, you have to deal with it.

Last edited by bobspez; 10-28-2019 at 07:05 PM..

Old 10-30-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Panic attacks are not the same as anxiety.

Panic attacks are, however, part and parcel of several anxiety dosorders, and panic disorder is classified under anxiety disorders, diagnostically.

What you describe sounds akin to a trauma response.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:42 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
True. Like a PTSD episode. However, on face value, panic is not the same as anxiousness. It's much more severe and episodes are short lived. People live and function with anxiety. Panic is temporarily crippling. Anxiety is long term like depression. Panic is temporary but can be triggered or reoccur episodically. It would not be possible to live in a continuous state of panic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Panic attacks are, however, part and parcel of several anxiety dosorders, and panic disorder is classified under anxiety disorders, diagnostically.

What you describe sounds akin to a trauma response.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:32 PM

21 posts, read 12,197 times
Anxiety and depression have become common these days. One can do meditation to improve their mental health. He can also change a bit of his lifestyle like having healthy food habits and avoiding foods that elevates these problems, exercising, joining forums where people with like habits are trying to improve them. These things does help improve a person's mental health.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:08 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
True. Like a PTSD episode. However, on face value, panic is not the same as anxiousness. It's much more severe and episodes are short lived. People live and function with anxiety. Panic is temporarily crippling. Anxiety is long term like depression. Panic is temporary but can be triggered or reoccur episodically. It would not be possible to live in a continuous state of panic.
Panic attacks are not the same for everyone. I started to have them a year ago, mainly at night, and usually feel chest pressure and a racing heartbeat. I have not had any flight response as I am typically asleep and awake with them. I try to do yoga, exercise, and have found it is worse in winter, so I have gotten a therapy lamp as well.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:56 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
I've been having panic attacks since 1991.

In the beginning they would have chest pounding and would last for a few minutes to well over an hour. If by chance it was over an hour I would be wasted the next day. Oh, I forgot to mention, I would always have them when I was sleeping. They would be so bad that you could actually see my chest pounding and making my shirt move.

Some years ago and I don't know why I thought of this, I got on all fours and put my head down to get some blood flowing. For reasons unknown and to this day, the attack would be gone within 1-2 seconds.

I still have them today, but I'm able to manage them better to where I can control them with my breathing. Once in a while they will continue even after my routine, but no way as intense as they used to be.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
True. Like a PTSD episode. However, on face value, panic is not the same as anxiousness. It's much more severe and episodes are short lived.
Of course.

Quote:
People live and function with anxiety. Panic is temporarily crippling. Anxiety is long term like depression.
Ehhh, people also very much fail to function with both anxiety and depression.

Quote:
Panic is temporary but can be triggered or reoccur episodically. It would not be possible to live in a continuous state of panic.
Correct, but panic attacks also do not have one universal presentation.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny53 View Post
Anxiety and depression have become common these days.
They've long been common.

Formal diagnosis and treatment of them are what's become increasingly common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health