Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2019, 01:37 PM

52 posts, read 29,360 times

Advertisements

It's just this. I function as good or better than most, in most ways, intellectually.

But because of the experiences I lack I can't relate to them. I can't relate when they talk about their wife or kids. I can't relate to love songs on the radio which seem rather pedestrian. Although I have had some very brief romantic experiences when I was very young.

Maybe I should just look forward to when I'm on my own and not in this group home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 01:39 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
How’s it going in the group home?

Old 10-24-2019, 01:45 PM

Well enough. I don't like the city it's in that much.

A lot of people here seem a bit nasty.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:57 PM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Do you want a wife and kids, or do you think that you should have wife and kids because it's "Normal". I think when I was younger I thought most people were the same meaning typical grow up do all the typical stuff, get married have kids watch them grow up get old and die.

I have found millions of people who don't follow all that some like living a single life doing the things they love. I once met a guy he had a sail boat lived on it he had no interest in "normal". Some go to school become PHD's spend their lives in labs find science to be their love not people.

Not Judging anyone who wants a family and typical life watching your child be born then growing into an adult. I never did any of that sometimes I wonder what be like.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Do you want a wife and kids, or do you think that you should have wife and kids because it's "Normal". I think when I was younger I thought most people were the same meaning typical grow up do all the typical stuff, get married have kids watch them grow up get old and die.

I have found millions of people who don't follow all that some like living a single life doing the things they love. I once met a guy he had a sail boat lived on it he had no interest in "normal". Some go to school become PHD's spend their lives in labs find science to be their love not people.

Not Judging anyone who wants a family and typical life watching your child be born then growing into an adult. I never did any of that sometimes I wonder what be like.
The second thing for sure. It just seems like if you are single here and have admitted it you're going to get picked on. The city I mean.

It's not so easy for me to find a mate with stigma and I really gave up some time ago.
Kind of like "What have I really even been getting out of these attempts? Have they had a positive or negative affect?"

The answer to the first is a clear "nothing good."
To the second a clear negative.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:35 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
What on earth does "normal" even mean?

When people don't feel "normal" they seek out people like them.

Find your people, they are out there. There are programs for folks in group homes and in the community who have similar experiences to you and there are social activities and support groups etc.

Contact your local Alliance for the Mentally Ill and connect yourself or ask your social worker to help you do it. It will be hugely beneficial when you graduate from that Group Home.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post

Find your people, they are out there. There are programs for folks in group homes and in the community who have similar experiences to you and there are social activities and support groups etc.

Contact your local Alliance for the Mentally Ill and connect yourself or ask your social worker to help you do it. It will be hugely beneficial when you graduate from that Group Home.
I don't think we have one. Not within an hours drive.
I know I'm getting out eventually and it won't be here. I can think of 4-5 locations.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:42 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr222 View Post
I don't think we have one. Not within an hours drive.
I know I'm getting out eventually and it won't be here. I can think of 4-5 locations.
Keep in mind that many people are only “normal” until you get to know them better. I mean, I *LOVE* making fun of love songs on the radio and just roll my eyes at them. Hopefully once you get out of the group home, you will meet more interesting people.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:57 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post

I don't know the age of the OP but I am nearly 60 and have not once found "my people" not even when going through NAMI and other programs for the mentally ill. What I have found are mostly support groups for addictions or domestic violence. I sure haven't found anything in my area for someone with an extreme personality disorder combined with several other serious and debilitating illnesses.

The only thing I could do was get a very low hours, low wage job that doesn't require much communication with other people.

I have also lived in a group home once and hated it. I ended up having to live with an older lady for a short while (hated that as well) until I could get a place on my own. At least the group home thing has worked out for you.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:49 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I sure haven't found anything in my area for someone with an extreme personality disorder combined with several other serious and debilitating illnesses.

The only thing I could do was get a very low hours, low wage job that doesn't require much communication with other people.
The most significant and defining feature of most personality disorders is difficulties with interpersonal relationships.
This might explain your dissatisfaction living with others and having jobs that require little interaction with others.

So glad you were able to secure a place of your own and a job that is tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health