Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2019, 12:11 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,942,564 times

Advertisements

Babies of women who took acetaminophen—a common painkiller marketed in the U.S. under the brand name Tylenol—near the end of pregnancy had a higher likelihood of being diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders or with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), according to a study published Wednesday in JAMA Psychiatry.
https://www.newsweek.com/tylenol-pre...-study-1468948
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 02:20 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,094,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
Babies of women who took acetaminophen—a common painkiller marketed in the U.S. under the brand name Tylenol—near the end of pregnancy had a higher likelihood of being diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders or with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), according to a study published Wednesday in JAMA Psychiatry.
https://www.newsweek.com/tylenol-pre...-study-1468948
As the authors note, causation is not proven.

Is it the acetaminophen or is it the reason the moms used the acetaminophen?

Old 11-11-2019, 08:15 AM

50,489 posts, read 36,145,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
As the authors note, causation is not proven.

Is it the acetaminophen or is it the reason the moms used the acetaminophen?
I guarantee you that variable was accounted for in the study. It’s Johns Hopkins and JAMA. It wouldn’t have been published if it wasn’t constructed to account for all variables.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:57 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,625,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I guarantee you that variable was accounted for in the study. It’s Johns Hopkins and JAMA. It wouldn’t have been published if it wasn’t constructed to account for all variables.
The cited article even says that more research needs to be completed to determine whether it is correlation or causation.

Tylenol/acetaminophen is the the only OTC painkiller that is available for women throughout the pregnancy. If women are having issues such as a fever/illness, high levels of pain, or other issues that require them to take lots of acetaminophen over the pregnancy, it might not be surprising that the child has autism, ADHD, or some other disability.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:52 PM

50,489 posts, read 36,145,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The cited article even says that more research needs to be completed to determine whether it is correlation or causation.

Tylenol/acetaminophen is the the only OTC painkiller that is available for women throughout the pregnancy. If women are having issues such as a fever/illness, high levels of pain, or other issues that require them to take lots of acetaminophen over the pregnancy, it might not be surprising that the child has autism, ADHD, or some other disability.
There is a correlation, not yet clear causation. It would be highly unusual for one study to definitively state causation. Again, any study published in JAMA would have to be designed to account for that variable. You some have to read the study itself to know how they did, but I guarantee it was accounted for. A story about the study is not going to have that kind of detail. Again if I were pregnant I would avoid Tylenol during my last trimester.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:20 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,655,017 times
They gotta keep those researchers working for their paychecks, so now it's Tylenol. They'll never know exactly and could be so many combinations of things..I have my own theory.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:09 PM

13,036 posts, read 7,160,756 times
The malpractice attorneys must be foaming at the mouth after reading this. If it turns out to be the cause it would bankrupt these companies. What I don't get is Tylenol has been around since I was young kid 1960-70's if it was the cause why the sudden rise last 20 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health