Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 07:58 AM

525 posts, read 333,016 times

Advertisements

But I still do it and have been doing it since I was 25. I am 35 now. I went to therapists for this in the past who specialize in eating disorders. They told me I will have this for the rest of my life. I can't go to therapy anymore due to a medical condition. I was binge eating yesterday after finding out I have to buy a new car since the engine of this one isn't working as it should. Anything can cause me to binge eat whether it's a positive or negative feeling or out of boredom. I don't want to binge eat anymore. How do I stop? Today I will write this as my first day of eating normal. I can last longer by writing everything I eat. I try to eat only 3 meals a day and no snacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 12:51 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,189,869 times
I wish I could eat only 3 meals a day and no snacks.
I'm not sure if you mean by binge eating you're also purging afterwards.
Unless you're extremely overweight, or you're purging your meals, I'm not sure how binging is a bad thing.
It doesn't seem any worse than drinking alcohol when stressed...or smoking..or a whole list of other bad habits we humans seem to fall into when we're stressed or angry, or bored or having negative feelings etc

Old 12-22-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I wish I could eat only 3 meals a day and no snacks.
I'm not sure if you mean by binge eating you're also purging afterwards.
Unless you're extremely overweight, or you're purging your meals, I'm not sure how binging is a bad thing.
It doesn't seem any worse than drinking alcohol when stressed...or smoking..or a whole list of other bad habits we humans seem to fall into when we're stressed or angry, or bored or having negative feelings etc

I am 143lbs. I weight less than I did in high school. That's because I am vegan now. If I want my stomach to be flat then I have to weight no more than 130 lbs. At this weight my stomach looks bloated. But I never been overweight or chubby. I am 5'7.5 and I am 35 years old male. 130lbs is just my body type. I know it's normal because that's when my stomach is flat but it can be even flatter. At 135 lbs my stomach still looks bloated but less.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:47 PM

22,844 posts, read 18,124,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
But I still do it and have been doing it since I was 25. I am 35 now. I went to therapists for this in the past who specialize in eating disorders. They told me I will have this for the rest of my life. I can't go to therapy anymore due to a medical condition. I was binge eating yesterday after finding out I have to buy a new car since the engine of this one isn't working as it should. Anything can cause me to binge eat whether it's a positive or negative feeling or out of boredom. I don't want to binge eat anymore. How do I stop? Today I will write this as my first day of eating normal. I can last longer by writing everything I eat. I try to eat only 3 meals a day and no snacks.
You said you've been to therapists before...so what did you learn from them about why you binge? The underlying reason for your eating disorder wouldn't change just because you don't go to appointments any longer. They can suggest all they want but it is still up to you to act upon the advice.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You said you've been to therapists before...so what did you learn from them about why you binge? The underlying reason for your eating disorder wouldn't change just because you don't go to appointments any longer. They can suggest all they want but it is still up to you to act upon the advice.

It's the reasons that I already stated. I learned to binge eat based on emotions even if they are positive, negative, or neutral. I am not going to waste my money on doctors anymore or physical therapists or psychiatrists, etc... Out of all of them therapists are the worst. At least doctors and physical therapists do something physically to treat conditions. These other therapists are worse than magicians and clowns. At least the magicians and clowns will entertain me. These therapists are useless. I have been in therapy for more than just binge eating. There has never been one therapist who was able to be successful in helping me for any of my mental disorders-- social anxiety, dissociative disorder, and binge eating disorder. It was all a waste of time and money. One of them actually made things worse with her stupid advice I listened to and made things harder for me in my life which was related to childhood sex abuse.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:11 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,411,210 times
Are you on medication?

Old 12-22-2019, 09:12 PM

173 posts, read 109,940 times
Default Dr Jordan B Peterson

Quote:
It's the reasons that I already stated. I learned to binge eat based on emotions even if they are positive, negative, or neutral. I am not going to waste my money on doctors anymore or physical therapists or psychiatrists, etc... Out of all of them therapists are the worst. At least doctors and physical therapists do something physically to treat conditions. These other therapists are worse than magicians and clowns. At least the magicians and clowns will entertain me. These therapists are useless. I have been in therapy for more than just binge eating. There has never been one therapist who was able to be successful in helping me for any of my mental disorders-- social anxiety, dissociative disorder, and binge eating disorder. It was all a waste of time and money. One of them actually made things worse with her stupid advice I listened to and made things harder for me in my life which was related to childhood sex abuse.
I put the name in title. It is guy I heard of from my son who'd seen his female housemate watched him a lot.
I am not saying he will be helpful to you. I have no rights to impose my thoughts on you, but if you have time and strong will try watching some of his posts. He has everything: fb page, youtube channel, website. You may find his lectures beyond stupid, but a lot of people are celebrating his help. Try at no cost first since he has some books he wrote, that may help or may not.
Definitely a cheap waste of your time, if you somehow exchange watching him for binge eating. Or buy some celery and cut it in pieces to nibble on it while watching him.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:14 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
By definition eating when you don’t want to is a compulsion

Old 12-23-2019, 02:15 PM

22,844 posts, read 18,124,688 times
Quote:
Well, if everyone else who might know anything about compulsive behavior is incompetent and you don't like what they tell you, I guess your only option is to change your behavior yourself.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:20 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,411,210 times
Quote:
How about a facility for trauma? I have a friend with bipolar and that is all that ever gets any attention. At some point it was realized that childhood sexual abuse needed attention, so she went to a program and it really helped her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health