Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 08:21 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,707 times

Advertisements

Relationship problems, loneliness, financial problems (living situation tries into this), drug addiction, and/or mental health issues...

I don't think money or capitalism plays to much of a role though. As IMHO, poor people who aren't on drugs or have mental health issues are generally okay if they have loving family, friends, and romantic partner who they can talk to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 04:26 PM

341 posts, read 292,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
For me, the biggest reason I've been depressed is staying single and loneliness. This has been a big deal for me for much of the past 5 years or so.
I can relate. I don't care about the relationship as much as just not having many friends. It's hard to make friends when everyone's idea of friendship these days is a reading a FB post on what that person had for lunch.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:33 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
I can relate. I don't care about the relationship as much as just not having many friends. It's hard to make friends when everyone's idea of friendship these days is a reading a FB post on what that person had for lunch.
Exactly. People are so flaky on sticking with plans also. Its so strange to me.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:45 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,565,776 times
Quote:
For me, the biggest reason I've been depressed is staying single and loneliness. This has been a big deal for me for much of the past 5 years or so.
this is key, Human connection is so important for a healthy mind, and is so lacking in many peoples lives today

Old 01-28-2020, 07:37 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
this is key, Human connection is so important for a healthy mind, and is so lacking in many peoples lives today
Yes. Surprisingly, there's so many loners on this board who can't see it or say they don't care. I don't really buy it. Its sort of comforting to know its not just me, and that this is a real issue in our society today.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:46 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,565,776 times
Quote:
Yes. Surprisingly, there's so many loners on this board who can't see it or say they don't care. I don't really buy it. Its sort of comforting to know its not just me, and that this is a real issue in our society today.
whilst I am no means an expert I suspect some folk kid themselves that their digital connection is enough, it is not for me, there was a time when I thought it was.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:23 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I work for a company that handles life & disability insurance. You would be surprised how many people are depressed and suffer with almost crippling anxiety. I'm talking about doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, etc. The world is a very different place than it was 50 years ago, some of it good, a lot of it bad. Jobs are more stressful, working moms especially are under a lot of stress to contribute to the family income. Even if she wants to stay home and raise the children, it's almost impossible to do now with the cost of living.

Years ago a family could get by on just the father's salary (I'm not being sexist- this is how it was prior to the 70's). Now unless someone in the family has a 6 figure job both parents need to work and that is very stressful when you have kids. Then you have the typical worries of a parent. No wonder so many people are stressed out and dealing with serious anxiety.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:22 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
There are two types of depression: genetically determined and situational. No reason to think the gene pool has changed, so genetic depression is probably a constant.

Situational depression occurs whenever we don't live up to our own expectations....It's our collective expectations that have changed. We're constantly seeing ads about how we should be built, how we should do make-up, what car to drive, what can of soda will have us dancing en mass in the streets...Pretty hard to live up to it, ergo.. more situational depression....

Also, we're now entering a phase of socio-economic/ standard of living stability. for our first two centuries, things were basically getting better for each new generation. Now there's no reasonable expectation that the kids should have it better than the parents, but somehow we still do expect it and fewer people achieve it.
I love that you make the same distinction as I do but, excuse me, you're wrong in your narrow definition of situational. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with blaming ourselves for not living up to our expectations. It just means that it's dependent on the immediate situation. Like the death of a loved one. Or the loss of a job. Or, as the article says, a distressing political situation.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:38 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Many suffer from loneliness, money stress, and burnout in the workplace. People are constantly pressured to compete and succeed.
More people seek professional counseling due to awareness and availability, but many struggle to admit their depression to others, especially at workplace due to possible stigma.
Depression is related to long working hours, stagnant wages, alcohol and drug abuse.
Many people don't have acquaintances, friends, close friends, or best friends and are dependent on social media and virtual friendships which can contribute to depression and low self-esteem. They seek advice from internet strangers rather than from professionals.

Many people from a young age aren't really being allowed to be exposed to the idea that they can survive stress and learn the ability to feel resilient and be resilient to everyday stressors.
Generally, a lot of people feel depressed because they don't perform well in life. They can't deal with rejections and criticism, don't know how to compromise, how to value what they already have and are always looking for something new - the green grass somewhere else. Then get disappointed when they don't get what they want or feel entitled to.

Depression is also linked to the increased time spent on social media and electronic communication, along with a decrease in sleep and rising social anxiety. Also, media constantly bombarding with negativities is promoting feelings of helplessness and hopelessness.
I think this sums up the United States for a lot of people.

Not all, or perhaps even most, but for a sizeable percentage of the population.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:56 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
Get a job as a farmer or rancher. End of depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health