Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2020, 11:20 AM

472 posts, read 348,118 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Do you find that elevation (high altitude) effects your overall mental health and well being. Or is it just a myth? I live in Colorado and some people say that the elevation can be a factor. Anyone with thoughts? Did you move to a lower altitude and feel better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 12:31 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
There are so many other things that factor into "well being" it would be pretty difficult to say. Everything from the reason you moved there, to the climate AT that altitude, the personal health situation you brought along with you (emotional, mental, physical), the lifestyle you follow once you're there, how significant the change in altitude that actually resulted, etc. High altitude goes along with lower oxygen, air pressure, and lower humidity. Some people adjust well to the difference physiologically and others don't. Depending on the regional climate, maybe there would be a lot more clear sunny weather there, and that tends to improve many people's frame of mind.

If you happened to move to a high altitude because you finally got to pursue your lifelong dream of professional heliskiiing I'd imagine your sense of well being would be quite improved. OTOH, if you had to move to your bankrupt family ranch outside a remote high altitude town because you couldn't afford to live anywhere else, might have the opposite effect. Has nothing to do with the altitude itself.

People can claim all they want. We are usually pretty good at convincing ourselves of something if its something we really really want to believe.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-08-2020 at 12:43 PM..

Old 03-11-2020, 07:08 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
Hello all,
Do you find that elevation (high altitude) effects your overall mental health and well being. Or is it just a myth? I live in Colorado and some people say that the elevation can be a factor. Anyone with thoughts? Did you move to a lower altitude and feel better?
I moved from sea level to Santa Fe, which is higher than Denver, and had no problems, but a friend of mine who just arrived from sea level, said she was having some kind of symptoms. Santa Fe has an oxygen bar downtown, for people who are affected by the altitude. You might Google around, to see if there's something like that near you, to see if it helps.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:57 PM

867 posts, read 723,174 times
Mutiple studies have demonstrated a link between altitude and depression:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0309170654.htm

Old 03-17-2020, 09:11 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I moved to Denver from jersey a decade ago. My mental health has greatly improved. But I think that was due to the distance from my mother

Old 04-04-2020, 03:58 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
Mutiple studies have demonstrated a link between altitude and depression:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0309170654.htm
Those are correlates.
So many people leap off the bridges over the cape cod canal they installed fences.
I don't think canals cause depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health