U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 08:46 AM

2,128 posts, read 1,043,790 times

Advertisements

University of Cambridge has an explanation for the irrational hoarding of toilet paper and hand sanitizers

How chronic stress changes the brain --- and what you can do to reverse the damage
Stress can also interfere with our balance between rational thinking and emotions. For example, the stressful news about the global spread of the novel Coronavirus has caused people to hoard hand sanitisers, tissues and toilet paper. Shops are becoming empty of these supplies, despite reassurance by the government that there is plenty of stock available.

This is because stress may force the brain to switch to a “habit system”. Under stress, brain areas such as the putamen, a round structure at the base of the forebrain, show greater activation. Such activation has been associated with hoarding behaviour. In addition, in stressful situations, the ventromedial prefrontal cortex, which plays a role in emotional cognition – such as evaluation of social affiliations and learning about fear – may enhance irrational fears. Eventually, these fears essentially override the brain’s usual ability for cold, rational decision-making.

https://theconversation.com/how-chro...-damage-133194
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 01:24 PM

18,566 posts, read 13,937,120 times
Thanks, that was interesting. Too soon to rep for your effort.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:31 PM

962 posts, read 325,187 times
My neighbor bought mountains of toilet paper. Not me, as I have the usual stock.

But I do have guns, ammo, and two large German Shepherds.

In other words, my neighbor's TP in really my TP, if things get bad enough.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:15 PM

14,045 posts, read 7,778,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
My neighbor bought mountains of toilet paper. Not me, as I have the usual stock.

Teehee.

Reminds me of my neighbor's bomb shelter when I was a young kid. The guy bragged about that thing and told us in no uncertain terms we were not welcome to join him in there when the big one dropped. The guy was a little pencil pushing whiner with a big attitude and no bite, and if my dad and uncles wanted that shelter for us it would have taken them under thirty seconds to secure it.

I don't know why anyone would let others in their vicinity know if they are prepping or stocking. Those people are too naïve to survive in a real event.

Don't care about the brain's habit system, the people hoarding packs and packs of TP because of this virus are selfish jerks.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:27 PM

4,050 posts, read 1,862,059 times
But why toilet paper? What makes a person say to themselves OMG, it's Armageddon, the end times, I have to have ALL the toilet paper?

Old 03-13-2020, 11:01 PM

1,398 posts, read 746,440 times
lol to end of times and hoarding tp. That just made me chuckle.

Anyway, imagine being sick, having to stay home, and having no tp or tissues. Paper towels are hard on those surfaces. Hand sanitizer is for when one has to go out.

I don't think it's panic. I don't think it's stress. I don't think it's irrational.

It's preparing.

Just like prior to a test, one studies.
Prior to a pandemic, one prepares also.

It's smart.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:50 PM

3,496 posts, read 5,465,100 times
It may be that many people are familiar with this list:

Tips from Sarajevo - 100 items that disappear first.

https://flutrackers.com/forum/search...sarajevo%22%7D

One line reads: After a while even gold can lose it's luster. But there is no luxury in war quite like toilet paper. Its surplus value is greater than gold.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:38 AM

2,468 posts, read 618,604 times
I don't quite understand the TP thing at all. In the worst case scenario, you run out. Then you will just have to take a shower after using the bathroom or use rags (cut up old t-shirts, bedsheets or towels).

I worry more about not having enough food, in the event I am in quarantine, so I have enough to eat for several weeks. I also am making sure I have enough cat food for my cat.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:02 AM

7,268 posts, read 8,725,642 times
Back in the days of H1N1 (2008-9) we didn't have as much social media as we do today. With this Covid-19, it's in your face, everywhere, 24/7. That's part of the problem. In fact, that may BE the problem. Can't blame the ordinary guy or gal for being nervous.

The news has stories of lockdowns, quarantines (voluntary or forced), schools closing, restaurants and theaters closing, sporting events canceled, and travel bans. Estimates are for anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months. Women especially, get upset at the thought of no TP for that duration, as they use far more of it than we guys do.

So yeah, I agree with the poster above who said it's just preparedness. No deep psychological issues to explore here. Move right along....

Old 03-14-2020, 07:47 AM

20,909 posts, read 23,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post

I love guys like you who think that because you have a gun you can just come take what you want when you run out. He may have some lead to throw your way when you show up to take what’s his. I know I would have a few lead answers in response. Your dogs may soon be his dogs or in his meat freezer. Maybe he will come visit you first.

If society breaks down that far when you’re killing a friend or a neighbor to get their stuff there is no country or laws. You run out of TP and you go visit your neighbor and the pandemic passes you’re going to jail or prison eventually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or