Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 09:27 AM

922 posts, read 791,884 times

Advertisements

I know that you are scared and very lonely. It is sometimes hard to be all alone, and you feel like the silence and emptiness around you is too much to handle. You have gotten some very good suggestions here. Keeping busy and learning to be with yourself will help you to see the world around you in different ways.

Think of it this way- the situation you are in may very well be saving your life, or the lives of others. The world is a very scary place right now, for everyone. It isn't going to last forever even though it might feel that way. Hang in there, you can do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 11:39 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Ellie, I'm really sorry & I can understand how you feel. As I said to another person in a similar situation on this board, I literally have zero friends, but I do have a fiance' who lives w/ me & my Mom who I've have talked w/ by phone 1-2 times a day w/o fail for the last almost 8 yrs since I moved out of my parents' house. I'm an only child, so I guess I'm more used to solitude than most people. I've never been a part of a group of friends in my life, so I don't even know what that feels like.

Nevertheless, now's the time to go on nice strolls outside while breathing in deeply (which we can still do these days), treat yourself to some takeout food sometimes, meditate, take up solitary hobbies (art, meditation, research about health, cooking, home decor, learn a language, learn how to play an instrument, get in better shape, learn about travel so when we can travel again you know where to go, etc.)

Are you religious at all & believe in God? I know this helps too. I was raised to go to church & I believe in God & I pray. He's the only power who can get us through all this & give world healing.

Since you're in a dorm, I know you can't have dogs there, but otherwise, I'd say to seriously think about getting a dog to help you through these times...but of course, don't get rid of him when things are back to normal again. They truly enhance life too. I know, I had a dog I loved & spoiled.

I can stay at home & never really be bored & can't recall a time in the past when I have been. Give me some good food & TV/movies I'll be as happy as a clam! Plus, I can be on the computer all day looking at interesting informative things.

Now this paragraph isn't pertaining to you, but I sometimes wonder why more people can't or don't enjoy simple things. Is it because they're such party animals &/or always had people around them &/or are always going somewhere & never at their homes that anything else is too boring??

Learn how to enjoy the simple things in life. I don't think most people can really do that, but this coronavirus time of staying indoors as much as possible will really show people if they can do it or not, that's for sure!

I hope things improve for you! FYI: I'll be your email pal if you want. PM me & we can exchange email addresses & write back & forth. It really does help. I have a few people I've never met in person, but "met" through other discussion board & we've emailed each other for a few years now.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 03-27-2020 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health