Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 07:51 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,250 times

Advertisements

I was urged by my father to apply for disability a few years ago. At the time I was, and had been, trying to work, so I didn't want to, and kept saying that I was trying to work and wasn't disabled. But after a while, realizing that trying to work wasn't working out, and him keeping insisting, urging, yelling that I need to apply for disability because "obviously you're disabled and can't work", I kept telling him I wasn't, and that I wouldn't get it, and if I was then why didn't he just apply for me, as you can, and I'm sure a lot of ppl do, if someone is really disabled. Well, of course he said "I don't have to" and that I would get it bc of their definition that your conditions interfere with functioning, and that he's heard about other ppl that've gotten it for the same thing, so I should too. So, I finally applied, though it took months bc of my anxiety, depression, etc., and bc there was no one to help me like he could have, if he insisted I was so disabled...so it could have been done a lot sooner, and the waiting and appeals and everything takes so long...it was about 2 yrs ago.

I appealed every time, got a disability lawyer, and finally had my hearing this month. I thought it went well, the judge seemed really nice, and my lawyer even said before that we got the best judge, that she's really nice and understanding and approves the most cases. So like I said I thought it went well and she seemed nice, so I thought she would approve it...then I got the decision and she denied it. The entire report was full of contradictory statements, numerous errors and using outdated information from old reports, excluding most of the evidence and testimony that would support my claim, and generally picking and choosing information to suit her own bias, or lack of awareness about my conditions.

Basically she kept saying that bc I claim to be unable to leave my home, and thus unable to seek treatment, that there is insufficient documentation to show/prove my condition (despite reports that were cited by her, that DID state I have anxiety, depression, difficulty dealing w/ppl, etc.). But, being generally unable to leave the house a lot of the time, or at a certain time, such as to make appointments, or being presentable enough to do so, is the main reason I haven't. So then, she tries to disprove everything I said, again picking and choosing what to include, using old information, ignoring other's statements. She says that I claim to be unable to leave the house, yet she states repeatedly how I was able to go to a plastic surgeon for a consultation. ok... I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, as she also cited reports from voc. rehab. when I used to go there. So the fact that she kept mentioning "going to a plastic surgeon" as apparent evidence of how I can leave the house, seems like she's trying to discredit me as trying to assert that I CAN go places, just when and where I feel like it. No. As I mentioned, there is also mention by her of how I went to voc. rehab numerous times. So there, she knows damn well I've left the house, yet chooses to focus instead on how I went to a plastic surgeon. Also, it was mentioned in the report by her, that from my witness statement, that one reason I don't want to go outside is bc ppl are always critical, staring, rude, etc...and how that relates to my anxiety and depression. So it seems like it should be obvious why I would go to a plastic surgeon as a kind of indirect treatment to feel better about going outside, not some frivolous thong as she seems to be trying to claim. She also kept mentioning how I can "go to the grocery store and ride my bike". Ok...and as I explained repeatedly, I often go weeks or more without leaving the house, mainly just go to the grocery store (which I bike to), and when I do I usually have to wait until right before they close, to avoid ppl and cars as much as I can...which is also why I hardly bike or walk, like I love to do and used to do a lot, along with all the other things I used to do. So, I never said that I couldn't leave the house, as she's claiming. I just said it's really difficult to do so, especially on a sustained basis, which is the whole basis for disability, which even their evaluation criteria states, and which I qualify for, based on their criteria. So she repeatedly states that bc I can go to the grocery store and ride my bike, then I should be able to work. Seriously lady? Leaving your house for 30-60 min. once every 1-3 weeks means I would be able to show up to a job every day? Ok. I'd love to see the claims you approve then. Which, funny enough, as I stated, is pretty high. I looked up her record, and it's been 60% for the past several years. But before that, for a few years it was 70-100%!!! I think she must have been evaluated or something, and told not to approve so many, cuz like I said it's been about 60% ever since.

She then keeps making more erroneous claims, like I have no problems with personal care. Again, that's not what was stated by me or my witness. So not showering for weeks or more, brushing your teeth or hair...that all makes you totally functional and employable, right? She then also cites numerous reports of how "she didn't say she needed help with anything", etc...um, ok...well there's no one around TO help me most of the time (or that wants to)...so I've just gotten used to not having anything (which probably adds to the depression, but anyway...). So, it didn't occur to me...why bother saying or asking for help, when no one will? For example, I could probably use help with a lot of things, like laundry, since as I mentioned doing things and getting places is often difficult, especially like the laundromat, when you don't drive. So, naturally, I run out of clean clothes, which I guess contributes to not going out, and depression about how everything's so difficult bc I have no money or the things to function or anyone to help me. So, I'm sure there a lot of things like that, but not like it would really help to mention it bc it's obvious everything I say is just b.s. and she keeps citing the most minimal examples of how I can go to the grocery and bike (SOMETIMES), as how that means I'd be able to work and show up every day and on time, which is totally contrary to every record. She makes it sound like bc I'm not a lump that just sits there, hardly blinking, that I'm able to work. So, I guess I just chose to not shower, go outside, wear the same clothes for months, have no money or social life, or anyone to talk to or give a crap...yeah, that sounds like a really great life, and ppl do that all the time just so they don't have to work.

What a joke.

Last edited by bikegal; 04-25-2020 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 08:46 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
I was urged by my father to apply for disability a few years ago. At the time I was, and had been, trying to work, so I didn't want to, and kept saying that I was trying to work and wasn't disabled. But after a while, realizing that trying to work wasn't working out, and him keeping insisting, urging, yelling that I need to apply for disability because "obviously you're disabled and can't work", I kept telling him I wasn't, and that I wouldn't get it, and if I was then why didn't he just apply for me, as you can, and I'm sure a lot of ppl do, if someone is really disabled. Well, of course he said "I don't have to" and that I would get it bc of their definition that your conditions interfere with functioning, and that he's heard about other ppl that've gotten it for the same thing, so I should too. So, I finally applied, though it took months bc of my anxiety, depression, etc., and bc there was no one to help me like he could have, if he insisted I was so disabled...so it could have been done a lot sooner, and the waiting and appeals and everything takes so long...it was about 2 yrs ago.

I appealed every time, got a disability lawyer, and finally had my hearing this month. I thought it went well, the judge seemed really nice, and my lawyer even said before that we got the best judge, that she's really nice and understanding and approves the most cases. So like I said I thought it went well and she seemed nice, so I thought she would approve it...then I got the decision and she denied it. The entire report was full of contradictory statements, numerous errors and using outdated information from old reports, excluding most of the evidence and testimony that would support my claim, and generally picking and choosing information to suit her own bias, or lack of awareness about my conditions.

Basically she kept saying that bc I claim to be unable to leave my home, and thus unable to seek treatment, that there is insufficient documentation to show/prove my condition (despite reports that were cited by her, that DID state I have anxiety, depression, difficulty dealing w/ppl, etc.). But, being generally unable to leave the house a lot of the time, or at a certain time, such as to make appointments, or being presentable enough to do so, is the main reason I haven't. So then, she tries to disprove everything I said, again picking and choosing what to include, using old information, ignoring other's statements. She says that I claim to be unable to leave the house, yet she states repeatedly how I was able to go to a plastic surgeon for a consultation. ok... I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, as she also cited reports from voc. rehab. when I used to go there. So the fact that she kept mentioning "going to a plastic surgeon" as apparent evidence of how I can leave the house, seems like she's trying to discredit me as trying to assert that I CAN go places, just when and where I feel like it. No. As I mentioned, there is also mention by her of how I went to voc. rehab numerous times. So there, she knows damn well I've left the house, yet chooses to focus instead on how I went to a plastic surgeon. Also, it was mentioned in the report by her, that from my witness statement, that one reason I don't want to go outside is bc ppl are always critical, staring, rude, etc...and how that relates to my anxiety and depression. So it seems like it should be obvious why I would go to a plastic surgeon as a kind of indirect treatment to feel better about going outside, not some frivolous thong as she seems to be trying to claim. She also kept mentioning how I can "go to the grocery store and ride my bike". Ok...and as I explained repeatedly, I often go weeks or more without leaving the house, mainly just go to the grocery store (which I bike to), and when I do I usually have to wait until right before they close, to avoid ppl and cars as much as I can...which is also why I hardly bike or walk, like I love to do and used to do a lot, along with all the other things I used to do. So, I never said that I couldn't leave the house, as she's claiming. I just said it's really difficult to do so, especially on a sustained basis, which is the whole basis for disability, which even their evaluation criteria states, and which I qualify for, based on their criteria. So she repeatedly states that bc I can go to the grocery store and ride my bike, then I should be able to work. Seriously lady? Leaving your house for 30-60 min. once every 1-3 weeks means I would be able to show up to a job every day? Ok. I'd love to see the claims you approve then. Which, funny enough, as I stated, is pretty high. I looked up her record, and it's been 60% for the past several years. But before that, for a few years it was 70-100%!!! I think she must have been evaluated or something, and told not to approve so many, cuz like I said it's been about 60% ever since.

She then keeps making more erroneous claims, like I have no problems with personal care. Again, that's not what was stated by me or my witness. So not showering for weeks or more, brushing your teeth or hair...that all makes you totally functional and employable, right? She then also cites numerous reports of how "she didn't say she needed help with anything", etc...um, ok...well there's no one around TO help me most of the time (or that wants to)...so I've just gotten used to not having anything (which probably adds to the depression, but anyway...). So, it didn't occur to me...why bother saying or asking for help, when no one will? For example, I could probably use help with a lot of things, like laundry, since as I mentioned doing things and getting places is often difficult, especially like the laundromat, when you don't drive. So, naturally, I run out of clean clothes, which I guess contributes to not going out, and depression about how everything's so difficult bc I have no money or the things to function or anyone to help me. So, I'm sure there a lot of things like that, but not like it would really help to mention it bc it's obvious everything I say is just b.s. and she keeps citing the most minimal examples of how I can go to the grocery and bike (SOMETIMES), as how that means I'd be able to work and show up every day and on time, which is totally contrary to every record. She makes it sound like bc I'm not a lump that just sits there, hardly blinking, that I'm able to work. So, I guess I just chose to not shower, go outside, wear the same clothes for months, have no money or social life, or anyone to talk to or give a crap...yeah, that sounds like a really great life, and ppl do that all the time just so they don't have to work.

What a joke.
You probably aren't able to work for extended lengths of time. But then it doesn't sound like you threatened to kill your classmates when you were ten years old, slit your wrists at 15, talked to bedposts, or have had constant thoughts or attempts at killing yourself. It doesn't seem that you qualify as blind, or with any sort of joint and respiratory illness or anything that would make it easier to prove your disability.

Perhaps you can leave the house, but you should explain what happens when you are out in the world that affects your ability to do work. Doing work is helping others in exchange for payment while being able manage all the many other things required by public and private work, and if you cannot do that effectively and consistently, then you should have a case for disability. Being disabled also means no one is willing to pay you to do anything for them.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:52 AM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Has your lawyer suggested you appeal? Maybe they can help you get the documentation you need to qualify, or recommend what you need. Many people get denied & them approved on appeal. Don't give up yet.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:26 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
Your right, the whole process is a crock. The object is to try to wear you out, then give up.
You need to appeal, very few ever get approved the first time around. Mental disability is the most difficult to get through.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:58 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Disability for Social Security purposes (SSD or SSI) is defined as an impairment that prevents you from engaging in SGA (substancial gainful activity) for at least one year or a disability that will result in death.

A psychiatric disability claim requires the applicant to provide substantial medical proof of a history of psychiatric interventions, hospitalizations, regular doctors appointments etc.

If your hearing was in front of an Administrative Law Judge that decision is final.

Get treatment, a psychiatrist and a therapist and start establishing a history of psychiatric treatment for your impairment.
Apply again after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health