Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 01:29 PM

793 posts, read 331,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciKS View Post
Interestingly I've spent a good deal of my life lonely and invisible. Sometimes I prefer it that way. I just mainly like to have people to visit with. If that makes sense. I understand about the suicide thing. This can't possibly last forever. It's likely going to be a while though. Try to settle in and hang in there. There is surely light at the end of the tunnel.

I drink occasionally but mostly to help me sleep when my mind doesn't want to turn off.

Do you work? I work in healthcare so I get to stare death in the face each day. I'm exposed to all the folks that are exposed directly to the Covid patients. It's quite nerve wracking. Going to work each day and never knowing if it's the day you're going to get it. Or not. I try to stay focused on why I'm there and just jump in and get to it.

What do you like watching on TV?
I work in a job that isn't challenging (though well paying) in a city I detest. So the job doesn't keep my interest, at least not for a 40 hour work week. So that sucks. I've looked into hobbies such as learning guitar, another language, etc., but can't seem to keep momentum going with them.

As for TV, I just finished one of the best shows I've ever seen called Suits. I binge series, typically. I love movies as well. But I also watch a few reality shows such as Married at First Sight and 90 Day Fiancé. I'm doing my own version of 9-0 day Fiancé if she can ever get here. One year in and counting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 02:14 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
...I go to work and home...
How's everyone else managing so far?

I can see how depressing your job can be. I hope you can compartmentalize it, meaning when you're done for the day & walking to your car to go home, you can clear your mind from work stuff & think about other stuff the rest of the day/night. I've always been able to do that. I used to be in the teaching field. Going from work, then home has been the story of my life always (so way before COVID). Here's my situation in post #22 so I don't have to copy & paste:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/psyc...friends-3.html

Quote:
Interestingly I've spent a good deal of my life lonely and invisible...
What do you like watching on TV?

I know you asked him, but I LOVE TV. It's one of life's simple pleasures & at any point in my life, I'd have my list of shows I watched. I hardly watch TV as it's airing. I DVR it all & watch on my own time.
Nowadays, in no certain order I watch these, but I bolded the ones I really like:

Certain forensic shows on Investigation Discovery Channel
Certain paranormal shows on the Travel Channel
Married to Medicine
Married to Med LA
The Rookie
Beat Shazam
SYTYCD (So You Think You Can Dance)
Bachelor/Bachelorette

The Prodigal Son
Weakest Link
The Neighborhood
Bob Hearts Abishola
All Rise
World of Dance
The Resident
Mixed-Ish
Swamp Thing
Masterchef
Masked Singer
I Can See Your Voice
The Coroner
SWAT
For Life
60 Days In
Project Runway
Superstore
A Million Little Things
The Unicorn
Evil
Hell’s Kitchen
In the Dark

There have been better shows in the past. TV isn't what it used to be. I have a few series on DVD:

I Love Lucy
90210 (original)
Melrose Place (original)
Gidget (version w/ Sally Field)

Also, I haven't counted, but I probably have about 125-50 DVD movies.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:18 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Loneliness don't bother me. I like being face to face with reality.

I forgot, who said it, one of them gurus but, it was something along those lines:
One of the signs of spiritually advancing being is its content of being alone with oneself.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:19 PM

1,378 posts, read 412,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I can see how depressing your job can be. I hope you can compartmentalize it, meaning when you're done for the day & walking to your car to go home, you can clear your mind from work stuff & think about other stuff the rest of the day/night. I've always been able to do that. I used to be in the teaching field. Going from work, then home has been the story of my life always (so way before COVID). Here's my situation in post #22 so I don't have to copy & paste:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/psyc...friends-3.html

I know you asked him, but I LOVE TV. It's one of life's simple pleasures & at any point in my life, I'd have my list of shows I watched. I hardly watch TV as it's airing. I DVR it all & watch on my own time.
Nowadays, in no certain order I watch these, but I bolded the ones I really like:

Certain forensic shows on Investigation Discovery Channel
Certain paranormal shows on the Travel Channel
Married to Medicine
Married to Med LA
The Rookie
Beat Shazam
SYTYCD (So You Think You Can Dance)
Bachelor/Bachelorette

The Prodigal Son
Weakest Link
The Neighborhood
Bob Hearts Abishola
All Rise
World of Dance
The Resident
Mixed-Ish
Swamp Thing
Masterchef
Masked Singer
I Can See Your Voice
The Coroner
SWAT
For Life
60 Days In
Project Runway
Superstore
A Million Little Things
The Unicorn
Evil
Hell’s Kitchen
In the Dark

There have been better shows in the past. TV isn't what it used to be. I have a few series on DVD:

I Love Lucy
90210 (original)
Melrose Place (original)
Gidget (version w/ Sally Field)

Also, I haven't counted, but I probably have about 125-50 DVD movies.
It's difficult to compartmentalize when you're basically looking death in the face each day. I try to escape in my head when I leave. I read and watch shows and play video games and listen to music. I have free tv so I've been watching what's on there. I kind of like that Test Kitchen show.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Loneliness don't bother me. I like being face to face with reality.

I forgot, who said it, one of them gurus but, it was something along those lines:
One of the signs of spiritually advancing being is its content of being alone with oneself.
For the most part I am content. I've never experienced isolation to this degree before. I'm sure at some point I will adjust. Thank you for your response.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
It's difficult to compartmentalize when you're basically looking death in the face each day. I try to escape in my head when I leave. I read and watch shows and play video games and listen to music. I have free tv so I've been watching what's on there. I kind of like that Test Kitchen show.

I completely understand about your job. It's rough, I'm sure! I have an XBox 360 that I've hardly used, but I should play video games more often too!

Old 11-03-2020, 03:23 PM

I was emailed this today. Maybe it will help!

51 Ways to Destress, Calm Down, and Feel Less Lonely Right Now

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how...days%20engaged

Old 11-04-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I was emailed this today. Maybe it will help!

51 Ways to Destress, Calm Down, and Feel Less Lonely Right Now

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how...days%20engaged
I keep trying to give you more rep and it keeps telling me I need to spread it around more. LOL

I will read this tomorrow. TY!

Old 03-23-2021, 09:27 PM

Just an update...I have adjusted rather well to the self isolation during this pandemic. Currently on medical leave with a broken rib. I am a hugger and that was killing me. So I came across a stuffed animal in the gift shop at work. Makes for good hugs. LOL! I don't foresee spending much time in public when or if this thing ever ends.

How's everyone else doing?

Old 03-24-2021, 10:16 AM

928 posts, read 499,632 times
I'm doing ok, but in a job I can't stand and a city I can't stand. My joke is everyone experienced in 2020 what I've experienced the past decade. I've spent more than a decade in isolation through no choice of my own just because of where I live and the tragedy of my divorce in 2009. 2020 was a decent year for me. I took 2 international trips and 2 domestic ones. I got to work from home, which I loved. Isolation was nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health