U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 10:05 AM

11,940 posts, read 13,003,113 times

Advertisements

I posted back on page 1. As we all see, COVID's not going away anytime soon. This is how our lives will be now from now on. I surely hope you can finally get used to it somehow, especially at the age that you are...not saying that in any kind of negative way, but you said you're in your mid-60s, so I'm sure at this point in your life, you weren't expecting life to become like this. None of us did.

I'm sorry that even w/ your husband holed up in his office all day for hours, that that's still not good for you. It must be a psychological thing for you because even if he's in his office for hours, I guess just you knowing that he's there still doesn't feel the same & it kind of isn't.

Re: my personal situation, I've worked remotely for the last 8 yrs now & love it. I've always wanted to work from home for the last 2 decades. I also did probably 1/2 or probably most of my higher learning remotely too. My fiance' who I live w/ always used to work outside the home pre-COVID too, but has been home too since COVID started. Our big difference though is that we honestly & genuinely love being together 24/7. We don't really go anyplace w/o the other person & that was way pre-COVID too. Do we like the house to ourselves, sure, but I guess we don't have to have it. Heck, we geuinely love grocery shopping & we love even doing that together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
...I work at a job where I am around hundreds of people everyday that need me. Talking pretty much for eight hours. I like my work a lot--I just need some quiet time. Pretty much everyone I work with says the same thing--we need time alone to reboot ourselves.

I came to the Mental Health forum. Not the relationship forum. I think it is okay and normal to feel a bit sad, depressed in these times. There are a lot of good things about my life, and yes I have gratitude for having a family. It does not mean I love them less because I need time alone.

I know you said w/ your job, there are TONS of people around, so it's understandable if you want alone time at home, but it seems just a little...that your husband/son(s) kind of suffers in a way because that's the type of person you are. He's still your husband just like you still have your son(s) who's back living w/ you now, so hopefully they're not made to feel like they always have to be gone or something. They have every right to be there to enjoy the house too.

So, let me ask you this...when you're at home together, do YOU interact / converse w/ them at all OR are you just so seething that you wish you had the house to yourself that you don't even want to talk to your husband & son(s) & you stay in your part or side of the house so you can be alone? Just think if your husband & son(s) had your intense mentality about needing alone time. It would be like 2-3+ people living in the house, but no one interacts w/ each other, except only when they absolutely have to...that's quite sad actually. It's like (silent) ships just passing through the night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 12:30 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,575,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

So, let me ask you this...when you're at home together, do YOU interact / converse w/ them at all OR are you just so seething that you wish you had the house to yourself that you don't even want to talk to your husband & son(s) & you stay in your part or side of the house so you can be alone? Just think if your husband & son(s) had your intense mentality about needing alone time. It would be like 2-3+ people living in the house, but no one interacts w/ each other, except only when they absolutely have to...that's quite sad actually. It's like (silent) ships just passing through the night.
We have dinner together every night at the dinner table. And no, I am not seething. We interact all the time. I promise you, they are not suffering! I never really talk about it at home to them anymore because it just is the way it is. I talked about it in the beginning of the pandemic when everything changed overnight. It was a difficult sudden adjustment. I still miss my old life--it just is the way it is. Some things can't be changed. There have been adjustments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health