Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2021, 03:01 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times

Advertisements

In my free time I don’t do a whole lot. I will mostly just watch YouTube. Sometimes I will attempt to play video games or read but I can’t concentrate long enough to get much out of doing those things. I really like cooking but it’s been weeks since I really cooked anything. I will try to look up recipes online and almost nothing sounds good and I can never narrow down any choices to cook. I take meds for anxiety and depression . Any of y’all feel the same way and don’t really get much out of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 06:02 AM

4,242 posts, read 946,663 times
Sorry to hear you're having a hard time, sportslover. I think the pandemic has affected us in all kinds of ways, including our mental health.

It sounds like your medications aren't giving you enough help with your mood and motivation. Have you considered getting into some therapy to help you figure out what's going on and what changes you can make? Good therapists have the experience and the training to help people identify strategies to move through difficult times and come out the other side in better shape.

Also - as a sports lover, I'm sure you know that exercise is so important not only for our bodies but for our minds. Are you doing anything active? It doesn't have to be a big deal - just starting with walking for 30 minutes a day is a move in the right direction.

I know how easy it is to get into a slump and not want to do anything other than veg out on the sofa. But while that can feel like a refuge in the moment, it only reinforces that sense of lethargy and emptiness. Reach out to someone for help (therapist, doctor, pastor, friend) and try some simple changes. I'm hoping things get better for you soon!

Old 03-30-2021, 06:35 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Life was much more joyful when I was young and more optimistic and life ahead seemed to be full of wonder and all my dreams could be fulfilled.

All of that really ended around the time of my mid-life crisis when I began to realize that life would mostly be tied to one location so I could get up to go to work 5 days a week for the next 25 years, putting most of living on hold until retirement. Joy kind of died and gave way to a more meloncholy contentment.

I have just retired and am hoping for a return to joy but Covid is putting a damper on it.

I can't say if aging just kills joy or just my personal circumstances. I don't know. I will let you know in 5 or 10 years, if I live. Covid really saps any "life" out of life. It is kind of just "existence" right now. The depressing Covid cloud is going on too long, making it feel like it will never end and we will never get back to normal. It feels like there is nothing to look forward to ever again. I don't believe this, but Covid makes life feel like that.

Thanks, China. You are real gift to the world.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:04 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Sorry to hear you're having a hard time, sportslover. I think the pandemic has affected us in all kinds of ways, including our mental health.

It sounds like your medications aren't giving you enough help with your mood and motivation. Have you considered getting into some therapy to help you figure out what's going on and what changes you can make? Good therapists have the experience and the training to help people identify strategies to move through difficult times and come out the other side in better shape.

Also - as a sports lover, I'm sure you know that exercise is so important not only for our bodies but for our minds. Are you doing anything active? It doesn't have to be a big deal - just starting with walking for 30 minutes a day is a move in the right direction.

I know how easy it is to get into a slump and not want to do anything other than veg out on the sofa. But while that can feel like a refuge in the moment, it only reinforces that sense of lethargy and emptiness. Reach out to someone for help (therapist, doctor, pastor, friend) and try some simple changes. I'm hoping things get better for you soon!
Thank you ! I am going to call up some therapists and see if I can get an appointment. As for exercise, I haven’t been doing much of that either but I need to because I need to lose weight

Old 03-30-2021, 03:38 PM

101 posts, read 49,500 times
Yes. Replace the cooking with a different hobby and it would sound exactly like my situation.

With the weather improving I'll like get outside more; might help a little bit.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:58 PM

928 posts, read 498,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Life was much more joyful when I was young and more optimistic and life ahead seemed to be full of wonder and all my dreams could be fulfilled.

All of that really ended around the time of my mid-life crisis when I began to realize that life would mostly be tied to one location so I could get up to go to work 5 days a week for the next 25 years, putting most of living on hold until retirement. Joy kind of died and gave way to a more meloncholy contentment.

I have just retired and am hoping for a return to joy but Covid is putting a damper on it.

I can't say if aging just kills joy or just my personal circumstances. I don't know. I will let you know in 5 or 10 years, if I live. Covid really saps any "life" out of life. It is kind of just "existence" right now. The depressing Covid cloud is going on too long, making it feel like it will never end and we will never get back to normal. It feels like there is nothing to look forward to ever again. I don't believe this, but Covid makes life feel like that.

Thanks, China. You are real gift to the world.
THIS. Thats how I feel in mid-life. Not fun! I'm bored, not challenged, and alone. It sucks.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:32 PM

8 posts, read 2,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
In my free time I don’t do a whole lot. I will mostly just watch YouTube. Sometimes I will attempt to play video games or read but I can’t concentrate long enough to get much out of doing those things. I really like cooking but it’s been weeks since I really cooked anything. I will try to look up recipes online and almost nothing sounds good and I can never narrow down any choices to cook. I take meds for anxiety and depression . Any of y’all feel the same way and don’t really get much out of life?
Yes, I can definitely relate.
I'm really unhappy with my job and also not making enough money.
Life is going no where. There is no joy.

Old 04-27-2021, 10:28 AM

307 posts, read 213,772 times
I've been in that situation where I've lacked motivation to do anything and felt stuck. I struggle with depression and anxiety and find that exercise (like a walk in the park or around the neighborhood) will do wonders. You can also listen to an audiobook while walking. I bought a bike during the lock down and ride it short distances.

I try to get active when I feel anxious and it helps. You can make a list of things that need to be done around your house/apartment and slowly work on list. Read a new book or buy a magazine. Pick something you'd like to try like painting or woodworking and start researching how to do it.

If you have a pet, that would help take your mind off things too. Pets love unconditionally and are always there when you need a cuddle. There are lots of pets in shelters that would love a good home.

For what its worth, my advice is to stay busy so depression and anxiety doesn't have time to set in. I wish you luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health