Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2022, 09:47 AM

377 posts, read 274,745 times

Advertisements

After being able to sleep great my whole life, I randomly started having bad insomnia about a month after ending a 1 year relationship that I didn't want to be in anymore, so I didn't see any link to my insomnia. Then thru the past 3 year I realized I always slept better when I was spending the weekend with family and sometimes with friends. Now I just got out of a 3 month relationship and realized that I was sleeping much better during this, so I think I can confirm the link. The thing is I never feel anxious in my day to day life and don't feel lonely or like I need anyone, so then when is there this apparent link between relationships and my sleep? Can anyone relate? I also sleep better when I don't have to work the next day, and I don't worry about work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 04:03 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I also sleep better when I don't have to work the next day, and I don't worry about work.
Seems like you just debunked your own theory about a direct link between relationships and insomnia. If/when something is preoccupying you behind the scenes, you ruminate about it at night enough that it keeps you awake. Sometimes nighttime is the only time you are relaxed enough to do the work. I'd say this happens to just about everyone at different points in their lives. Your insomnia isn't linked to relationships per se, its linked to things you need to find some resolution for whether its anticipating the upcoming day at the office, loneliness, love, money, a long to-do list, needing to make a major decision, whatever.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:10 AM

613 posts, read 1,017,689 times
All sounds like good insight and advice. Sleep seems to be the ultimate indicator of a person's well-being. You can't fix not sleeping well. You have to fix everything else and then you will sleep well. (And it's worth it!)

Old 04-10-2022, 11:05 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
After being able to sleep great my whole life, I randomly started having bad insomnia about a month after ending a 1 year relationship that I didn't want to be in anymore, so I didn't see any link to my insomnia. Then thru the past 3 year I realized I always slept better when I was spending the weekend with family and sometimes with friends. Now I just got out of a 3 month relationship and realized that I was sleeping much better during this, so I think I can confirm the link. The thing is I never feel anxious in my day to day life and don't feel lonely or like I need anyone, so then when is there this apparent link between relationships and my sleep? Can anyone relate? I also sleep better when I don't have to work the next day, and I don't worry about work.
Self-resolves. Two inner circle friends reported substantial insomnia during their marriage breakups. One friend keeps repeating the same errors on a 5-10 year basis, and after the (upcoming) third strike I think he'll finally wise up that the method is the error. Odd that guys finally start to puzzle that out in their 40s-50s. Unfortunately... includes me too, wisdom via School of Hard Knocks.

I don't feel emotions similar to most guys either, if that's what you're stating. No craving serial monogamy or the need to be in a "relationship" every waking moment. Consequently no sleep problems, in fact quite the opposite. A maps to B, great stress definitely gets the mind to swirling. Don't over-complicate your life, men have a tendency to do that and invent elaborate justifications.

There exists a massive body of work on this topic via the 'Tube and literature. Couple different names for it, none of which I'll record here to avoid waves. Coaching is big business and half are at the other half's throat more than half the time claiming the others are idiots. As-always, the truth is somewhere in the middle and you'll find your own equilibrium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health