Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,382 times

Advertisements

I struggle from bipolar depression, this is something I have been dealing with since a small child. Ill cry for no reason at times, I have anxiety, anything bothers me and my mood changes in the blink of an eye. I was admitted into a hospital and diagnosed my senior year of high school after attempting to commit suicide after have my son at 16. I've been on medication for everything but it doesn't work and I stop taking it thinking I can deal with it on my own. It bothers me when people tell me thats its in my head, nothing is wrong with me of that I can control my anger when its hard for someone like me. Trying to get people to understand is hard. For someone to say everyone deal with mental health issues but everyone isn't the same, you can't just say a person can control their mind when its not you! I've dealt with trauma from a kid and even now. Mentally I'm not okay and someone telling me im gone be okay just makes me even more not okay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 09:40 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,318,226 times
when was the last time you get a health checkup?
Do you have an underactive thyroid?
Is there someone who makes your life miserable?
Do you work,do you like your job?
Do you exercise and go under the sun ?
Do you like to eat,do you eat a nutritious meal?
Do you ever try cleansing?we all have bacteria in our body from contacts with others and animals,from food ,it weighs you down
Are you constipated>how often do you move your bowel?
low hormone can be a problem too.

Old 03-27-2022, 03:09 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,498,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina2010 View Post
I struggle from bipolar depression, this is something I have been dealing with since a small child. Ill cry for no reason at times, I have anxiety, anything bothers me and my mood changes in the blink of an eye. I was admitted into a hospital and diagnosed my senior year of high school after attempting to commit suicide after have my son at 16. I've been on medication for everything but it doesn't work and I stop taking it thinking I can deal with it on my own. It bothers me when people tell me thats its in my head, nothing is wrong with me of that I can control my anger when its hard for someone like me. Trying to get people to understand is hard. For someone to say everyone deal with mental health issues but everyone isn't the same, you can't just say a person can control their mind when its not you! I've dealt with trauma from a kid and even now. Mentally I'm not okay and someone telling me im gone be okay just makes me even more not okay!

I’m so sry you are struggling with bipolar depression. Ofc it’s not in your head….you’ve been diagnosed AND it can be treated. The most important thing is that you not go off your medication on your own…but if you have questions about it or side effects or don’t think it’s working, you need to contact the NP or see your doctor. They can reassess & work with you on making changes in dosage or medication. AND….in patients who take medication that does make them feel better, they may go off of it thinking they are “fine now” & have a decline because of it. It can turn into something serious. It’s common with bipolar….so….please see your doctor rather than just going off your medication on your own. Also let your doctor know about any other drugs you may be taking…AND stay away from alcohol. It’s common for ppl with bipolar to self medicate.

edit: (hugs) It’s a super positive sign you are trying to take care of your own mental health. You don’t feel Ok now….BUT you can with the right help.^

Last edited by TashaPosh; 03-27-2022 at 03:25 PM..

Old 03-27-2022, 03:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 666,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina2010 View Post
So what are you doing about it?

There are all kinds of ways to heal from trauma.

Sounds like you're defending acting out.

It's actually not okay to do that.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:24 AM

20,681 posts, read 19,798,340 times
You need a good doctor and find medication that can help. Even if you have to try different ones, there is not a one fits all.

I am sorry for what you are going through. You are not alone, there is help for you. Find a doctor you can trust and see if he can help you.

Old 03-30-2022, 09:24 AM

15,704 posts, read 9,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
So what are you doing about it?

There are all kinds of ways to heal from trauma.

Sounds like you're defending acting out.

It's actually not okay to do that.
This is part of the stigma that those of us with mental illness faces. OP came here to say she hates when someone says her illness is all in her head, something we get told a lot by people who don't know what they're talking about. You immediately suggest she is not doing what she should do to fight bipolar. SMH And then you accuse her of "acting out." No wonder the OP has not come back yet.

Quote:
Most people who live with mental illness have, at some point, been blamed for their conditions. They have been called names. Their symptoms have been referred to as “a phase” or something they are able to manage, “if they only tried.” They have been illegally discriminated against, with no justice. This is the overwhelming power that stigma holds.
Mental Illness & Stigma Fact Sheet

I hope no one you love has to come to you askint for help withtheir mental health.

Old 03-30-2022, 09:31 AM

15,704 posts, read 9,409,420 times
OP,

Yu can always call the Suicide Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. They do help. If you're anti-social like me, you can text "HELP" to 741741. If you're on Facebook, you can go to the Crisis Text Line and message them here

Facebook Crisis Text Line

If it gets bad enough, call 911 or walk int an ER and tell them you are a danger to yourself.

Staying on meds is, as you know, important. I've gone off mine before and it never works out very well in the long run. I finally had to realize that was my future as much as taking insulin for my diabetes is my future. I know it is hard. Ignore people who tell you it is all in your head whether they re friends, family or some guy on the internet. I have had to drop people from my life who woud tell me stuf like that. I had to have a "Come to Jesus" talk with my sister when she would say the same thing. It's your decision who to drop and who to educate.

Finally, when you are depresed, do not be afraid to reach out to someone, a trusted friend or a professional.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:41 PM

2,955 posts, read 928,365 times
For the OP and other people struggling with mental illness, insomnia, etc. Please watch this, see bellow. I find it very helpful. They talk about cutting sugar completely out of the diet, eating a no carbs diet and having tremendous results. Please watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxbUUkI8URw

Old 04-03-2022, 03:59 PM

385 posts, read 320,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You need a good doctor and find medication that can help. Even if you have to try different ones, there is not a one fits all.

I am sorry for what you are going through. You are not alone, there is help for you. Find a doctor you can trust and see if he can help you.
Yes, yes, yes.

See a psychiatrist. I am a physician assistant who works in psychiatry. I am risking responding to this thread, just in case 1) it's on the level; and 2) I might help point in the right direction.

I don't even hang around city-data regularly, because there are too many weird posts and weird situations.

Firstly, note that almost all bipolars spend over 90% of their lives in depression. Manic episodes get all the press, but in bipolar illness, depression is a far more common mood.

Secondly, there is an excellent medication for bipolar depression -- Lamictal (= Lamotrigine). Of course, all medications have side effects, but the few SEs it has are not that bothersome (and BTW, no weight gain). And you need to understand one particular side effect -- Steven Johnson syndrome (it is rare but can be serious).

Finally, I can't diagnose or treat you over a post in a thread, so see a local psychiatrist. Best.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,318,226 times
people used to think I have bi polar,it is really an underactive thyroid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health