Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 11:51 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Barring the above one would "assume" (?) attorneys would dismiss him from the pool during voir dire pre-trial. He'd express his issues, they'd likely excuse him. I'm no expert, being on exactly one jury trial in my life (c. 2015, an interesting case) and I "was" selected during voir dire.

Guessing voir dire itself might be quite stressful for a person with the afflictions mentioned. I'm a lone wolf but thoroughly enjoyed the case for a couple days. Would have been foreman but another young guy wanted it, and he was sharp. Didn't press the matter and he did a bang-up job.

Being sequestered as we were for a few hours one afternoon then same the next day AM (deliberations only took a few hours) could drive a person with anxiety issues nuts. Of the personalities on the jury a few paid attention, a few seemed intimidated by the process and/or fellow jurors, and one or two not too clever or frankly uninterested: hard to say. Couple alternates too. The defendant got a fair trial in my observation and we slept great with a "Not Guilty" in that case.
Agree with this but really think the judge would dismiss him at the beginning.

I thoroughly enjoyed my times as a juror. I like listening to all sides of the issues and making a decision. It's why I like posting my opinions on C-D too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 09:55 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Barring the above one would "assume" (?) attorneys would dismiss him from the pool during voir dire pre-trial. He'd express his issues, they'd likely excuse him. I'm no expert, being on exactly one jury trial in my life (c. 2015, an interesting case) and I "was" selected during voir dire.

Guessing voir dire itself might be quite stressful for a person with the afflictions mentioned. I'm a lone wolf but thoroughly enjoyed the case for a couple days. Would have been foreman but another young guy wanted it, and he was sharp. Didn't press the matter and he did a bang-up job.

Being sequestered as we were for a few hours one afternoon then same the next day AM (deliberations only took a few hours) could drive a person with anxiety issues nuts. Of the personalities on the jury a few paid attention, a few seemed intimidated by the process and/or fellow jurors, and one or two not too clever or frankly uninterested: hard to say. Couple alternates too. The defendant got a fair trial in my observation and we slept great with a "Not Guilty" in that case.
In my jury experience the defendent made a plea bargain deal after two days of trial. I found the experience with the other jury members positive, with every one of us, it seemed to me, paying attention and trying to do our best. We were instructed not to
discuss the case during our sequester periods in the jury room, and we didn't, we talked about everything else under the sun, our families, work, opinions on local current events at the time, and told jokes. Our bailiff entertained us with tales of his family, his life, and wierd things that had happened over the years at the courthouse ( criminal court).

After the case was over, we were invited by the judge to stay and discuss the case with him, the attorneys, and some law students who had been observing the trial. They asked us our opinions on some of what we had heard during the trial, we were permitted to ask questions, and I found it a great experience.

Guess I was summoned for jury duty a total of 5 times in my life, picked for a jury once. I got another summons recently, but asked to be permanently excused due to my age (well over 70).

Old 05-12-2022, 11:12 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Lubby, in NYS a letter from an MD is sufficient as long as you mail it in before the due date. At one time, not sure if it's still like this, a licensed psychologist could not write a letter to excuse the juror from service. Only a letter from a MD was accepted. Maybe now, they will accept a letter from a psychologist for a mental health problem.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:13 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Lubby, in NYS a letter from an MD is sufficient as long as you mail it in before the due date. At one time, not sure if it's still like this, a licensed psychologist could not write a letter to excuse the juror from service. Only a letter from a MD was accepted. Maybe now, they will accept a letter from a psychologist for a mental health problem.
Good news I was able to send the letter with the summons via email. I sent it yesterday. Received an email today that he has been excused. I am very happy because this was stressing him out. I know there a lots of other people who would enjoy this sort of thing but for him it will cause severe anxiety issues. When I told him he was excused he was so relived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health