Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:50 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

I just got done watching the CBS Evening News and they had a feature about Alzheimer's exploding in people at younger ages and they were featuring specifically a 53 y/o man who had it and while their main point was research for a cure and also curious as to why younger and younger people are getting it i remember a while back reading a study about how Alzheimer's is possibly Diabete's in the brain as the Neurons can't metabolize Glucose. Not surprising if there is a connection as Type II Diabete's is exploding too. I did find a good study showing Glucose Metabolism flawed in the Brain.

Glucose metabolism in early onset versus late onset Alzheimer's disease: an SPM analysis of 120 patients -- Kim et al. 128 (8): 1790 -- Brain

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 03-08-2008 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:05 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Well, a lot of what you say makes sense. I've been wondering whether today's processed foods and the sugars that are in everything (such as high fructose corn syrup) might be contributing to diabetes, esp. as seen in the rise of juvenile diabetes.
I also heard a few months ago that there is virtually no Alzheimer's in India, and researches were interested in finding out why. They were led to some interesting conclusions about curry which is used in Indian cooking.

Studies have found that there is a component of curry spice that removes analoids from the brain cells (I didn't catch the name of this ingredient). Analoid is a protein that is deposited in some people's brain cells that interferes with cell activity and leads to alzheimers. Researchers have found that the low incidence of alzheimers in India appears to be related to their consumption of curry spice.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Indian and Asian food is very good for you healthwise. They understand the yin and yang of foods and Indian Ayruvedic healing takes place through foods and spices.

Another problem in today's processed foods in the US is the use of aspartame, which is known to be a neuro-toxin. I believe there's an aspartame thread around here. They use aspartame in processed babyfoods, too.

southward, if you can find that spice, please post it.

Off-Topic: There's a wonderful movie that may/may not have been released in the states called The Mistress of Spices that discusses the power of spices. It's a chick flick but focuses more on the protagonist's relationship with the spices.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:24 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
At one time there was speculation that Alzheimers was caused by excess aluminum in the body (from aluminum cans and foil). I never hear about it anymore so I'm assuming the theory has been thrown out.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:05 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Curry is healthy in many ways. Good thing I love it!

Tasty curry might have a fringe benefit - USATODAY.com

Old 03-09-2008, 03:56 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
At one time there was speculation that Alzheimers was caused by excess aluminum in the body (from aluminum cans and foil). I never hear about it anymore so I'm assuming the theory has been thrown out.
Ive also heard that. Add the aluminum in most mass produced deodorants too..scary.
I think it's a combination of all the additives in foods, the additives in animal feed, pesticides in foods,etc that contributes to people losing their minds. That and an unhealthy diet, no exercise,etc. Many factors.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:05 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I think God put everything we need here on earth that we need when he created this earth. Man has swayed away from that and we need to go back to that. Forget everything man made and put only what nature provided in our bodies.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 AM

6 posts, read 16,400 times
My sil (55) was dx'd this past year with Alzheimer's. It's terribly sad, but there is a family history -- however the relatives were much older when they had it. It is quite scary, especially if it is genetic, because that also puts my husband and children at risk.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:08 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,204 times
Alzheimers "desease"is caused by heavy metals buildup in the brain. That's the bottom line.

Why are more young people being diagnosed with it now more than ever. More and more people are being exposed to mercury by eating sushi.

The tuna used to make suchi contains more mercury than the body can clear and mercury will (not may)....... WILL cross the blood/brain barrier and settle in the brain. Once there it is VERY difficult to remove.

STOP eating sushi. It is NOT good for you.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Stop getting vaccinations for your kids, too.
They're still studying the effect of mercury in vaccinations to autism.
Now we have gm foods, the problems will only increase.
An organic vegetarian diet is the way to go. Vegan if at all possible for maximum health benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health