Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:20 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondieucharon View Post
Well. I'm only sixteen, so I would need to talk to my mom in order to get in contact with a doctor and what. That would be very awkward for me. So I am a bit hesitant to really do anything, if you know what I am saying. Then, even if I did have OCD.... it would not be considered severe at all, would it? I mean, do I need help?

Ha... I am kind of against the use of any drugs.
Moms want their kids to trust them to go to them if they have a problem. To answer your question if you need help, that you can easily judge. Does OCD run your life? Can you go a day without performing your rituals? If the answers is yes and no then you need help. Do you want to live like this for the rest of your life. BTW anxiety disorder run in families and you mom will probably tell you about some relatives with them.
Regarding drugs, think about it this way if you had diabetes you wouldn't question the need for insulin. Anxiety disorders are caused by an imbalance of the chemical of the brain, drugs help fix that imbalance. The problem is that sometimes they are over prescribed.
Please talk to your mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:08 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
welcome the odd world of OCD...I have learned to live with mine. But honestly, yours seems to have taken quite a hold of you and IMO you might consider therapy, with someone who specializes in OCD. It will do you good , if you are willing to admit there is a problem and are committed to improvement. You CAN learn to be the boss if it, and not keep letting OCD be the boss of you.
Really, good luck and may you find some peace.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:43 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Please talk to your mom she should be understanding and help you get treatment. I do think you have a very serious case and should get help as soon as you can. You will be a lot happier when you get it under control.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:58 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
I too think you should talk to your mom. I have daughters. They're 23 and 15. They can come to me about anything. You might be surprised about the things other girls are telling their moms. If she doesn't already know you might be OCD you might surprise her and it might take a few minutes to sink in. Moms want to help their kids. It's part of being a mom.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:17 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
If you have a problem bringing this up to your parent(s) and find yourself putting it off, print this out and give it to them.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:24 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
I used to have severe ocd like the OP did when i was that age and younger. I grew out of the majority of it by the time i hit my 20's. Now i just have a few odd quirks...i line up my mugs just so in the cupboard..i line my clothes up by color. I never took meds or smoked marijuana for my ocd and never will. However, i did smoke it when i was that age....lol (just a few times...really! )

Old 07-22-2008, 04:45 AM

38 posts, read 76,367 times
I don't know. I suppose I could try to bring it up with her. I am not sure if she would care either way though. Ha. Or I could wait until school starts again and talk to the.. I think there is a psychologist? I don't know. Then I could also tell her I wanted to go to a doctor to prove to a few of my friends that I do not have OCD [I have some that insist I do sooo much]. *shrugs*. Probably one of my closest friends thinks it is a really good idea to get some help, so. I will put some effort into it. I really don't think I have OCD though. I don't know why. I just don't.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:06 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
You should go to doctor to prove to yourself whether you have it or not.
I believe you have a classic case of this illness. After reading all these posts I think I might of had a very mild case when I was a teenager. I was compulsive about cleaning my room, now that I'm 56 and now I'm a total slob !

Old 07-22-2008, 09:21 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondieucharon View Post
I don't know. I suppose I could try to bring it up with her. I am not sure if she would care either way though. Ha. Or I could wait until school starts again and talk to the.. I think there is a psychologist? I don't know. Then I could also tell her I wanted to go to a doctor to prove to a few of my friends that I do not have OCD [I have some that insist I do sooo much]. *shrugs*. Probably one of my closest friends thinks it is a really good idea to get some help, so. I will put some effort into it. I really don't think I have OCD though. I don't know why. I just don't.

Try your Mom first. She loves you. She still thinks of you as her baby. Even if you don't "get" it. Can you imagine having a baby...how much you would love it? She loves you that way.

People are flawed, your Mom is not perfect. But I bet she loves you more than anything. Go to her first. Be very honest. It may take her a few days to process this. She may not understand.

If she can't help you, go to a trusted teacher. There is such help for you. It is very scary what you are going through! Reach out to your Mom, if she can't help a teacher can.

I'll pray for you tonight. I know it is frightening. I know that you can overcome this.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:26 AM

38 posts, read 76,367 times
:] You guys are all very kind and supportive.

Well I'm sure she would not be surprised. She already thinks I'm crazy, ha.
Okay. I will talk to her. Though I don't think she will take me to a doctor really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health