Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 PM

38 posts, read 76,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenplover View Post
As the poster above said, we've given you answers: whether you choose to be constructive or not with said answers and advice is up to you.

Let me tell you: take a psychology class: the one I took in HS was what finally opened my eyes- and showed my what OCD really is. The "treatment" options that they presented for the "extreme" cases scared the pants right off of me! They made the people go an ENTIRE day without washing their hands (including before meals) AND touch the dirtiest things they could- public rails, city trashcans, public toilets...I vowed that I would get help before I got to that same stage.

If all you are seeking is a diagnosis, don't waste the money going to a therapist. If you're ready to take a step back and stop obsessing over whether or not people like you/ the number of times you do things, etc, then I suggest (along with the other posters) that you seek therapy. I find it somewhat ironic that someone who cares what other people think would not be willing to improve their image for either themselves or for how they appear toward other people. The way I see it,, you can either do something or don't. We pointed you in a direction, and suggest you follow it. Maybe you'll find confiding in someone helpful.
I signed up for the first part of AP Psych last year [ha, AP European history = three terms, so I couldn't do all of psychology], so I'm really really hoping I get into it, because I totally love things like that. I've been looking forward to psychology since middle school.

See... that's mostly why I don't think I have OCD. I find things like that absolutely horrible and what, it causes me a lot of stress when I don't count things, but I /am/ able to do it. That's why I think it is just a preference to do these things. *shrug* Social situations, and related things though, I can't do [lol I almost cried today trying out for section leader]. That's the difference that I see. I don't /have/ to do these things. I just do, because *shrug* I do. :] Like, I'm perfectly okay with doing those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 07:43 PM

201 posts, read 655,757 times
for your sake, I hope you get into ap psych too.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,177,748 times
ap psych would be interesting for the OP...but it does not negate the fact that she could benefit from a dose of therapy, IMO. Been there done that, and think everyone should , no matter how 'normal' they think they are

Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,746,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondieucharon View Post
See... that's mostly why I don't think I have OCD. I find things like that absolutely horrible and what, it causes me a lot of stress when I don't count things, but I /am/ able to do it. That's why I think it is just a preference to do these things. *shrug* Social situations, and related things though, I can't do [lol I almost cried today trying out for section leader]. That's the difference that I see. I don't /have/ to do these things. I just do, because *shrug* I do. :] Like, I'm perfectly okay with doing those things.
I wish I new what words to say to you so you go get help. I re-read your first post and I truly believe you have OCD. Your counting is a clear Compulsion that you use to overcome an Obsession. Have you ever asked people how often they count things? The only real purpose of counting should be to know quantities like how much money I have in my purse. I should say quantities than matter. Knowing how many sips of water you drink doesn't matter. Next time you are counting think to yourself do I need to write this number down for future use or I am counting because I need to have a certain amount of something?. If the answer is no the your counting is a compulsion.
On an average day I only count when my dd is misbehaving. You know 1...2...3...time out.
Please get help.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:04 PM

874 posts, read 3,677,813 times
OCD! I hope you've gotten the help that you need. Don't worry, youre not alone!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,104,435 times
Quote:
Many of my friends have told me I need therapy........ for quite a while now.

Whenever someone says this, I ask them, "Are you saying this as a joke, or do you really think I need help?" Most often, I get a response much like, "I said it as a joke, but I don't doubt you need it.".
I find it interesting that everybody seems to want to drug you up because you do not fit their criteria of what is "normal". My philosophy is that you are fine just the way you are and so what if you aren't like everybody else. If you are happy with you then screw everybody else.

I cannot imagine what a hopelessly boring world this would be if everybody behaved like everybody else and there were no unique or different people. It sounds like an old Twilight Zone episode (maybe it was Outer Limits) where everybody gets plastic surgery so they all look exactly alike.

Be yourself and be proud of who you are. Don't take meds that numb you out and dumb you down and make you a zombie and "just like everybody else". Now, if you are unhappy, maybe talking with someone might help you sort things out a little. But I certainly would NOT take prescription meds. There are natural herbs that could help you (St. Johns Wort).

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-29-2008, 04:49 AM

38 posts, read 76,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I wish I new what words to say to you so you go get help. I re-read your first post and I truly believe you have OCD. Your counting is a clear Compulsion that you use to overcome an Obsession. Have you ever asked people how often they count things? The only real purpose of counting should be to know quantities like how much money I have in my purse. I should say quantities than matter. Knowing how many sips of water you drink doesn't matter. Next time you are counting think to yourself do I need to write this number down for future use or I am counting because I need to have a certain amount of something?. If the answer is no the your counting is a compulsion.
On an average day I only count when my dd is misbehaving. You know 1...2...3...time out.
Please get help.
Hmmmmmm.

A couple years ago I thought I had OCD for a while because of that, and other things I mentioned before. I couldn't decide what the obsession would be, though.
I can understand that it would be a compulsion, but I don't get what the obsession would be.

I don't see how counting ever hurt anybody, really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I find it interesting that everybody seems to want to drug you up because you do not fit their criteria of what is "normal". My philosophy is that you are fine just the way you are and so what if you aren't like everybody else. If you are happy with you then screw everybody else.

I cannot imagine what a hopelessly boring world this would be if everybody behaved like everybody else and there were no unique or different people. It sounds like an old Twilight Zone episode (maybe it was Outer Limits) where everybody gets plastic surgery so they all look exactly alike.

Be yourself and be proud of who you are. Don't take meds that numb you out and dumb you down and make you a zombie and "just like everybody else". Now, if you are unhappy, maybe talking with someone might help you sort things out a little. But I certainly would NOT take prescription meds. There are natural herbs that could help you (St. Johns Wort).

20yrsinBranson
: / That's kind of my take on it. I really would not want to take medications.

I am contemplating talking to my school psychologist once school starts. I was introduced to her [and other office people XD Major mix up. Scary.], and she was really nice... so. I only wouldn't want to, because I just realized that it is far more than likely that at some point she will ask me if I have ever cut myself. That would be a more uncomfortable conversation. :]

Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,177,748 times
If asked about cutting yourself, that it would be a more 'uncomfortable conversation'..<your words> then you definitely need help...but you will not listen to reason...............

20yrsinbranson said-
"I find it interesting that everybody seems to want to drug you up because you do not fit their criteria of what is "normal". My philosophy is that you are fine just the way you are and so what if you aren't like everybody else. If you are happy with you then screw everybody else."

NO... 'everybody' doesn't want to drug her up...I specifically said OCD can be treated without drugs!!! And yes, one can 'embrace their weirdness', I know i HAVE....but just because some one is smiling and 'happy' on the outside, doesn't mean everything is good on the inside... IMO, I contend that the OP is in deep denial over real issues .........she must not be 'happy' or she would not keep posting here. She has repeatedly been advised to seek help, yet brushes it off with excuse after excuse. The more I read, the more I think the entire family needs therapy. And I mean that sincerely.....not flippantly.

Last edited by crazyma; 07-29-2008 at 11:58 AM..

Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,746,127 times
Quote:
I can understand that it would be a compulsion, but I don't get what the obsession would be.

I don't see how counting ever hurt anybody, really...
The obsession usually is fear of death. If you control everything in your life maybe you can control that too...

Counting hurts you. If you plan to get married and have children you will suck them into your world. That is the way the disease works. Lets say you are counting something and you baby starts screaming. What would you do? Count or care for your child. Healthy people don't have to make that choice.
If you described symptoms and everyone told you you could have diabetes you probably would run to the doctor. Why won't you do the same for OCD? OCD is an illness not a quirk.
Good luck

Old 07-29-2008, 07:44 PM

713 posts, read 2,715,342 times
Quote:
I would appreciate your opinion on this though. Am I simply a little different? I am sorry if this is weird to post.
I cut down the OP's first post in order to save time and space.

OP, yes, I think that the things that you do are weird. You asked for opinions and you have gotten plenty. You continue to state that you feel as though nothing is wrong with you. Fine. I don't think that anyone here is going to change your mind. It annoys me when ppl come here looking for advice, get pages of posts and then say that they are happy the way that they are and don't believe that anything is wrong with them. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health