Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:45 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,667,899 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I am still smoking after using the Chantix. I can't blame the drug though as I did not set a quit date and instead just went with the flow and got down to about five cigarettes a day. I have asked my doc to give me a refill where I will try and take it more seriously this time. As for side effects, the only one that really bothered me was the nausea. If I took the Chantix on an empty stomach and I did most of the time because I am stupid that way, I threw up each and every time. As for the vivid dreams, I loved those. Yeah there were one or two nightmares I could have done without but for the most part the dreams were pretty cool. Extremely vivid, but cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,882 times
Default It worked for me, a dedicated smoker

I was a smoker for 40 years and after I had double pneumonia (and previous years of bronchitis), decided I had to quit. I really didn't want to quit because I really enjoyed smoking, but the health issues were just too great to overlook anymore. I've tried the patches, quitting cold turkey, and smoking mini cigars and not inhaling over the years and nothing worked. Chantix definitely worked, especially when used with the fake plastic cigarettes that have nicotine inserts in them. These gave me a feeling that I was smoking. I was able to wean myself off of them very quickly.

The major downside to CHantix is the horrific dreams. I had some really bloody, gory, scary ones, where I even woke up screaming. But that is a small price to pay for actually successfully quitting smoking.

I haven't smoked in over 2 years now. About a year ago I was in Mexico on vacation and my boyfriend was smoking a cigar and I decided to get a pack of cigarettes and smoke them and not inhale. After half of the first cigarette I threw the pack away and haven't had the temptation since.

I gained about 15 pounds and am slowly just now getting them off. Of course, being older (57) makes it harder. Smoking definitely alters your metabolism so that it's easier to keep weight off. You will need to take in less calories and work out more.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,791 times
Default Chantix and quitting smoking (depression, addiction, doctor, surgery

Is there anyone here from the Greenville SC area? Do you know where there is a support group for this?

Old 09-12-2009, 06:15 PM

403 posts, read 533,122 times
i'm on day 4 of chantix & i've went 24 hours without smoking a cigarette. i only smoked 2 yesterday compared to almost 10. i feel pretty good. its true what people say about having weird/bad dreams but its something i can deal with. i don't mind the weight gain because i'm 30lbs underweight. *i currently weigh 103lbs*

i'm very impressed with the results so far but i still have a long way to go but if i keep having days like this, it will be a piece of cake.

good luck to you all.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,551,869 times
My boss used it to quit and he was a 3 pack a day smoker. Only side effects he had were the dreams. My son in law quit using it also.

I however will not even try it, I am to sensitive to any medications I take and this one can have some horrid side effects that are permanent. I talked to a lady one day who's mother took it and it changed her completely. She drover her car into a tree one day at a high speed and when asked what happened, she told them she was tired of feeling/being like she had been and wanted to end it all.

Quote:
occupies nicotinic receptors in the brain and stops the cravings
Chantix blocks nicotine from stimulating brain receptors, so cigarettes do not give users the dopamine release they receive when they smoke, which makes smoking less appealing. At the same time, it stimulates the release of small quantities of dopamine to help decrease the desire for nicotine because the body is already getting some level of dopamine.

As for receptors.. in some people it wakes up pain receptors and once turned on, people are finding it next to impossiable to turn the off and would rather smoke than live in the pain they are in.

Mod cut:copyright violation

Dopamine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-13-2009 at 10:08 AM..

Old 09-13-2009, 03:40 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,658,501 times
I don't know people just can't seem to quit the ciggies. I have filled prescriptions for chantix, commit, patches, gums, zyban and still people smoke on. Sure they quit for a bit but sadly most smoke on so it is a pretty sad situation smokers are in The cigs do have the upper hand on those that are addicted.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:30 PM

18,324 posts, read 18,911,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I don't know people just can't seem to quit the ciggies. I have filled prescriptions for chantix, commit, patches, gums, zyban and still people smoke on. Sure they quit for a bit but sadly most smoke on so it is a pretty sad situation smokers are in The cigs do have the upper hand on those that are addicted.
I think what keeps people smoking is continuing to think like a junkie. you have to re train your brain to think like a non smoker. the addicted person will think like a junkie for months and months. I deserve just one, I really loved to smoke, I am so stressed out. once you combat these kinds of thoughts and have all the nicotine out of your system many many people are able to quit and never go back. thinking like a non smoker and not a smoker who is just not smoking is part of the path to success.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:22 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,667,899 times
It's hard quitting something that you love and gives you such pleasure. I always tell people it's like being a chocoholic at 40 and being told you will NEVER again in your life have another piece of chocolate. Only then do non smokers tend to get why we have such a time quitting.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:58 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,662,093 times
Nicotine is a very powerful drug on par with Heroine and Cocaine. Around ~90% of people who use it will get hooked. Add in the dozens and dozens of times you repeat this action and you also develop a hard to break habit. They say drug users have it easier as they are not getting their fix 20,40 or 60 times a day plus it is a lot harder to get that drug then cigs...

Never give up people.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:23 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,662,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
It's hard quitting something that you love and gives you such pleasure. I always tell people it's like being a chocoholic at 40 and being told you will NEVER again in your life have another piece of chocolate. Only then do non smokers tend to get why we have such a time quitting.
Understood and I agree with you. Smoking is very enjoyable and most smokers love doing it.

But look at it from another perspective. Cigarettes have a very addictive drug in them called Nicotine. When used, you will get addicted to it (90% of people who use it) and your brain will feel good and want it more and more. You will need to replentish your body with it every ~2 hours for the rest of your life. Do you want to be a slave like this? Why feed the hunger of this addiction? Be stronger than this Nicodemon and put an end to it before it kills you. You will save your health and a lot of money too.

I know easier said than done. But if you educate yourself and look at it like it really is, maybe things will look a little clearer to you all.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health