Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 02:19 PM

115 posts, read 174,482 times

Advertisements

I'm 17 years old but I'm turning 18 in June. I'm stuck in a paralyzing living arrangement, a DESTRUCTIVE family I don't get along in, and a city that feels like poison to me (NYC) I have certain mental problems ( Aspergers Syndrome,and Bipolar or Borderline)and a big city environment isn't conducive for my well being and I feel suicidal. Im not getting support from family or therapists/doctors.

This situation has worn me out. I used to an organized, high functioning person showing plenty of gifts. I know I can show this again but not under these heavy circumstances.

If Im still too vague, Ill elucidate on further details.

Im just wondering if anyone has any foster care, alternative living arrangement, or any other web site link. I dont want it to be exclusively "seeing a therapist" related. I know what I need to do and it involves just living somewhere else and/or changing some of the circumstances. I just want to know what options are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 04:55 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,199,624 times
I'm sorry you are going through such a tough time. There are two programs that you may want to check out. I've known teens who have been in both and they have been good fits for them.

Americorps AmeriCorps

Jobcorps U.S. Department of Labor - Job Corps - Frequently Asked Questions

Sometimes just getting out of a negative situation can have a positive effect on psychological problems. If you are seeing a therapist, he/she may have some ideas, as well. And in the meantime, if you can get a job and just work as much as possible (ie- being away from the toxic atmosphere at home) that might help and you can save money in preparation for your move.

I have two friends with Aspergers and they are brilliant and quite happy, but they had their share of trials before finding the right lifestyle and living situation.

Hang in there- you have nowhere to go but up!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:19 PM

822 posts, read 3,001,256 times
oh gee, HIF has given you some good resources. I was just going to say that when I was your age, I was going through a lot of turmoil and I was called by some a bellweather of the problems of my family - in other words, some felt I was internalizing the conflict in my family. Guess what - once I left for college (I went as far away as possible), I was fine! The distance - physical and psychological - was curative. I say this with some trepidation ... not everyone should go so far from their support system. The third element was a focus on intellectual things. It elevated me from a focus on personal, psychological things. It changed everything. So I add ... have you considered an educational institution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health