Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

Between the actual migraines and the re-bounds, I was using Immetrex 4 times a week most of the time, if not more. Then I found Feverfew, an herbal treatment that has 4 peer-reviewed double-blind placebo controlled studies published in Lancet (the JAMA of England). Taken daily, it reduces the frequency and severity of migraines. I had my last Immetrex shot about 8 yrs ago.

You can take liquid Feverfew in soda, water, juice - not milk. It is bitter tasting. You can use it 4 or 5 times/day if the migraine doesn't go away at first. You can get it at Whole Foods, most groceries that have an "organicx health food" section, and places like GNC. There are pills but I think the liquid works faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 03:46 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Imitrex is bad to cause rebound migraines. Glad you found a relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Between the actual migraines and the re-bounds, I was using Immetrex 4 times a week most of the time, if not more. Then I found Feverfew, an herbal treatment that has 4 peer-reviewed double-blind placebo controlled studies published in Lancet (the JAMA of England). Taken daily, it reduces the frequency and severity of migraines. I had my last Immetrex shot about 8 yrs ago.

You can take liquid Feverfew in soda, water, juice - not milk. It is bitter tasting. You can use it 4 or 5 times/day if the migraine doesn't go away at first. You can get it at Whole Foods, most groceries that have an "organicx health food" section, and places like GNC. There are pills but I think the liquid works faster.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Default ended up in the ER this week-end

I have had migraines for 30+ years. Only had to go to the ER 5x. But Saturday a migraine crept up on me. Became worse and like none of the others. Typically they are one sided. This was an all over--loads of pressure. The pain was unbearable.
It was the first time I've gone to the ER in the state we moved to in November. No one else has ever done or wanted to do a CT scan before, but they did one. They also put me on oxygen and started a drip. I promptly threw up as soon as they gave me something for nausea--go figure.
Then they gave me,in my drip, another type of nausea med and dilaudid(sp)
Mercy-what a night!

Has anyone else had to go to the ER and if so, did they do a CT scan? And administer oxygen? The nurse said oxygen normally helps--didn't help me. It made me more nauseated.

I'm sort of relieved they did one and that it was ok. But I don't have insurance and they knew that. I dread seeing the bill

Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 PM

36 posts, read 93,295 times
Default long time with migraines

Am 55, have had migraines for 15 years. On 25 mg of generic Topamax twice daily. Has cut my migraines from 16/month to 9/month. Can't up the dose because it makes me *severely* depressed at higher dosage. No serious side effects at current dose. Generic Imitrex 50 mg. as abortive.

Triggers: Biggest & most unavoidable are the smells: *perfume* (why oh why do women think drowning in scent is attractive???); body lotion; wood smoke (why did they invent those chiminea things, can't sleep with windows open in summer now); cigarette smoke; kerosene; gasoline; paint; cleaning products; nail polish. Sunlight flashing through trees when driving can trigger, no other visual triggers. Protracted loud noise can trigger esp. w/heavy rhythmic beat. Foods: asparatame triggers in minutes! also I'd suggest anyone with migraines look into possibility of sensitivity to TANNINS--this has been huge for me--search on Internet, there is someone who has a site which has been invaluable. Most of the foods & beverages she lists are big triggers for me and she explains why. Drugs--I'd rather buck up than take narcotics for other pain, as Vicodin, Percocet, hydrocodone, etc. all trigger migraine in me. Other triggers: neck too far back or down when sitting or sleeping; sitting in one place for too long (have to get up and move around every 20 minutes or so); hormonal changes (less since I'm now postmenopausal); major stress letdown; being way too cold or way too hot.

Currently also take 1/2 Vit. B supplement, 250 mg. X twice daily magnesium supplement and generic Verapamil SR 240 mg. (prescribed for high blood pressure)--don't know that any of these have helped with migraine. Was on Zonegran as preventive for almost two years previously, worked fairly well; however, had very bad experience with neurological damage (major pain in shoulders & arms, causing loss of range of motion), luckily, regained strength 6 months after getting off the drug. Have been on Topamax for about 16 months now.

Wish I could get the migraines down further than x9/month; however, it's a much better place than where I've been in the past. I consider myself lucky that the Imitrex usually knocks the migraine out completely within an hour's time. Also that I have a boss who also gets migraines and has decreed that co-workers are not to stink up the workplace with scents!

Old 08-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAngel View Post
Am 55, have had migraines for 15 years. On 25 mg of generic Topamax twice daily. Has cut my migraines from 16/month to 9/month. Can't up the dose because it makes me *severely* depressed at higher dosage. No serious side effects at current dose. Generic Imitrex 50 mg. as abortive.

Triggers: Biggest & most unavoidable are the smells: *perfume* (why oh why do women think drowning in scent is attractive???); body lotion; wood smoke (why did they invent those chiminea things, can't sleep with windows open in summer now); cigarette smoke; kerosene; gasoline; paint; cleaning products; nail polish. Sunlight flashing through trees when driving can trigger, no other visual triggers. Protracted loud noise can trigger esp. w/heavy rhythmic beat. Foods: asparatame triggers in minutes! also I'd suggest anyone with migraines look into possibility of sensitivity to TANNINS--this has been huge for me--search on Internet, there is someone who has a site which has been invaluable. Most of the foods & beverages she lists are big triggers for me and she explains why. Drugs--I'd rather buck up than take narcotics for other pain, as Vicodin, Percocet, hydrocodone, etc. all trigger migraine in me. Other triggers: neck too far back or down when sitting or sleeping; sitting in one place for too long (have to get up and move around every 20 minutes or so); hormonal changes (less since I'm now postmenopausal); major stress letdown; being way too cold or way too hot.

Currently also take 1/2 Vit. B supplement, 250 mg. X twice daily magnesium supplement and generic Verapamil SR 240 mg. (prescribed for high blood pressure)--don't know that any of these have helped with migraine. Was on Zonegran as preventive for almost two years previously, worked fairly well; however, had very bad experience with neurological damage (major pain in shoulders & arms, causing loss of range of motion), luckily, regained strength 6 months after getting off the drug. Have been on Topamax for about 16 months now.

Wish I could get the migraines down further than x9/month; however, it's a much better place than where I've been in the past. I consider myself lucky that the Imitrex usually knocks the migraine out completely within an hour's time. Also that I have a boss who also gets migraines and has decreed that co-workers are not to stink up the workplace with scents!
love that your boss inacted the no perfumes/colognes policy!!!
Imitrex didn't work for me any better or faster than Goody's Powders and caused me to feel as though I were having a heart attack; which this medicine is known to do. I would never recommend anyone take that IMitrex shot, since 1 of my friends almost died from it and I've known 3 others who did die from the shot.
Taking magnesium makes a world of difference. I told my neuro about that and he has since passed the infor. along to his other patients. I didn't take great comfort in his not knowing about the magnesium issue
I also can't use a product or ingest any product with Yellow Dye #5
ALL the other things you listed that trigger yours also trigger mine.
I'm not on any meds for migraines and don't want any. I just keep my Goody's Powders on hand. IF they will alleviate the migraine,they do so within 15 minutes. IF the powder doesn't work--I know it's going to be a Long and painful day or 2!!

Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Plerase try feverfew. It pains me to see others having migraines who haven't tried it. It might not work for you, but it's worth a try. My internist and endocrinologist have approved it for me to use as safe for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health