Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:29 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times

Advertisements

I suffer severe migraines. I take Topamax 2x a day, and the occassional Fiorecit or Flexerol. The migraines eased for a while, but since the winter has come, they have increased in severity and I'm getting a headache approxiametly 5x a week now.

What are your triggers? Besides the weather, I find I cannot skip meals or sleep, and hormones/stress play a large part as well.

Besides medication, what do you do for relief? Do you have any 'natural' remedies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 08:02 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I suffer severe migraines. I take Topamax 2x a day, and the occassional Fiorecit or Flexerol. The migraines eased for a while, but since the winter has come, they have increased in severity and I'm getting a headache approxiametly 5x a week now.

What are your triggers? Besides the weather, I find I cannot skip meals or sleep, and hormones/stress play a large part as well.

Besides medication, what do you do for relief? Do you have any 'natural' remedies?
My hubby takes really hot showers, almost scalding his head. I massage the soles of his feet using reflexology points...he claims those help.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Make a detailed diary of what you eat and see if any trends are there. There are a lot of foods that can trigger migraines. Nuts, dairy, caffine, heavily processed foods (pepperoni, canned foods & soups), yeast..... there is a HUGE list actually.

If your getting migraines more in the winter are you burning wood in a fireplace? If so stop doing that and see what happens. You could be severaly allergic to the wood being burned. It might be as simple as using a different type of wood or switching to gas logs (if you have a gas fireplace) or not using it at all. I get more in the winter as well and avoid using my fireplace even w/ the gas logs. The heat running in the closed up house and all tend to give me a migraine. The gray overcast skies also get to me. We have had 4 days straight of overcast skies and it is wearing on me. I want SUNSHINE!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:28 PM

287 posts, read 549,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
My hubby takes really hot showers, almost scalding his head. I massage the soles of his feet using reflexology points...he claims those help.
Both my mother (when she was alive) and I have suffered from migraines for a long time. Really really hot showers have helped, but also taking a damp washcloth and zapping it in the microwave and just laying with it over the forehead and eyes had/has always helped us. I also have found for myself that lavender helps also. I have the Bath & Body Works Lavender Cammomile (sp) lotion and it really helps.

I find one thing that really triggers mine, which sounds odd considering the remedies I've used, is the heat being up too high in the winter. And certain smells. I can never ever walk into a Waffle House without getting a horrible migraine that makes me physically ill.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
My diet plays some of a role (too much pork and BAM a freakin' migraine! and processed foods) and really strong perfumes.
I sometimes get one from motion sickness, eye strain (too much time on City Data), and physical exhaustion.
As far as relief...I don't really have any tips. A lot of times I just lie down and/or try to avoid a lot of sunlight, loud noises, etc.
I'm fortunate in that I don't get a lot of them at work.

Here's a silver lining: Migraines May Cut Breast Cancer Risk

Headache and Migraine Trigger: Weather

Causes of Headaches, Headache Cause, Headache Triggers, Headache Relief Treatment Remedy

6 Surprising Headache Triggers and How to fix Them
^The one about the weekend surprised me but I saw a connection.
A lot of times on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings, it hardly fails, I wake up with a huge headache.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:45 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
perfumes/colognes set mine off and running. Foods that trigger a migraine are any that have Yellow or red dyes in them. I love,love cheese curls-can't have em. If I realllly crave them and reach for a bag, my daughter fusses at me and says, "if you eat those you will have a migraine tomorrow"......she's always correct bout that.
Read the labels. MSGs cause migraines too.
I take magnesium everyday and it helps so much that my neurologist now suggests it to his other patients. His wife suffers migraines too and he said taking magnesium alleviated hers.
In the event though that someone dabs on that gawd awful,should be banned perfume/cologne and goes out in public and I'm exposed to that crap-then a killer migraine ensues and I take a Goody or BC powder ASAP. If that won't knock it out I've had to go to the ER a few x. *Perfume wearers be aware*

Old 12-18-2008, 12:02 AM

349 posts, read 863,037 times
i heard something about botox helps reduce migrains? i might be wrong, google it!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:05 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
i heard something about botox helps reduce migrains? i might be wrong, google it!
DO NOT DO THIS AT ALL!!!! I know 2 people that suffered migraines but they would NEVER find out their triggers or do anything else to help with them. Both ended up in TERRIBLE shape. Sadly, one died. The other, she almost died. In the end she ended up losing her job, her family (divorce) and kids. She could not function and it was horrible. All she wanted was the "quick fix". You get addicted to the botox and once a month doesn't work so you go to once a week. Pretty soon you want to go every day.

There have been numerous cases of people that did do the botox treatment for migraines and many ended up in worse shape than when they started. One was an actress that ended up in really bad shape. I can't remember her name but I'm sure a google search could find it.

There are plenty of much more reliable treatments out there for migraines. Botox is not one of them.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:47 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post

Topamax won't do you any good unless you are at a high enough dosage.

Years ago I found research about this anti-seziure medication given to epilepsy patients...and most who suffered from migrains reported relief. After printing out pages and pages - I took this to my neurologist. I want this stuff right here, I said.

The rest is history. After 18 months on the drug I was CURED, yes, cured. But it was a high dosage....something in the drug changes the physiology of the brain itself...blood vessels or something. And then it was announced the FDA was going to approve it for migraine treatment.

So, before you give up on Topamax - get the right dosage for at least a year or two.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:12 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Topamax won't do you any good unless you are at a high enough dosage.

Years ago I found research about this anti-seziure medication given to epilepsy patients...and most who suffered from migrains reported relief. After printing out pages and pages - I took this to my neurologist. I want this stuff right here, I said.

The rest is history. After 18 months on the drug I was CURED, yes, cured. But it was a high dosage....something in the drug changes the physiology of the brain itself...blood vessels or something. And then it was announced the FDA was going to approve it for migraine treatment.

So, before you give up on Topamax - get the right dosage for at least a year or two.
What's it called?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health