Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:48 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times

Advertisements

It must be tough to quit, otherwise everyone would have quit by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,930 times
I think in some social circles it is still considered "hip". (Or at least, "hip looking".) I have some co-workers like that. They dramatically announce they are going for a smoke break. Then they stand around outside with their cigarettes looking all emo. It's quite sad, really . . .

Old 08-14-2009, 10:36 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Some of those studies are a tad bit bizarre. My husband got hepatitis C from a dirty transfusion back before they started checking blood for nasties, and died eventually of liver failure. The death certificate claimed smoking was a contributing factor! I fail to see the connection, myself, but I'm sure it figures into the statistics somewhere. In actual fact, I'm of the opinion that his death was more attibutable to the docs who refused to either treat him or put him on a transplant list.

My father in law died of complications from liver cancer surgery but, since he had smoked all his life, the cause of death was "smoking" related. My daughter in laws grandmother was killed in a fire caused by smoking in bed. Cause of death: smoking.

Don't believe the statistics. At least SOME of them are bogus.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
(CNN) -- Smoking is bad for you, and by now, most of us know it.

It seems that studies on the dangers of smoking come out every week. Just recently, after an article appeared in the journal Pediatrics, we were introduced to the concept of third-hand smoke, the potentially toxic residue that lingers in curtains, clothing, hair, etc. after the smoke itself blows away.

If smoking is so bad for you, who still does it? - CNN.com

Third hand smoke! Now, isn't that just the silliest thing you ever heard? I can't believe people take some of this stuff so seriously.

Good grief! All those so worried about second or third or umpteenth hand smoke are breathing much more dangerous substances, and more of it, from the fumes emitted by cars on the street outside. But, THAT'S not a problem?

Smoke is just the issue du jour, the current "panic."

Old 08-15-2009, 01:28 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,058 times
NEWS: SMOKING CAUSES LUNG CANCER

according to the label... so does my fishing pole... so.. crap on it *lights a smoke*

Old 08-15-2009, 01:30 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
My wife and I went to a yard sale last weekend, where I saw one of my school teachers from some 45-odd years ago. She was setting in a chair, with a full ashtray next to her, hacking and coughing, with a cigarette in hand. She said she smoked four packs a day, and was now 80 years old!

I'm reminded of the old saying: "if I'd known I was going to live this long, I would've taken better care of myself..."

Bud

Old 08-15-2009, 01:51 AM

8 posts, read 39,906 times
NEWS:LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH - BEING ALIVE

I take solice in the fact that all of you will someday die. Oh know, smokings bad for you, it could kill you. Yeah? Big deal. I'm going to do it anyway. Know why? Because I enjoy it. Not because I have to or because its cool, it just so happens to be the only five minutes of relaxation I get all day. And as for weak minded, I'm thinking most of you tools drink a few cans of soda pop everyday. Am I supposed to believe that its not because its addictive? And really, which do you think has a bigger toll on your health? I mean, god, these lame social networking/forum/blog sites could even be considered addictive (and I have a feeling I'm speaking to a few addicts right now). So take your "Holier Than Though" attitude and shove it. I don't criticize you for not smoking so STOP BRINGING IT UP!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:06 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
So maybe you enjoy smoking, but, do you enjoy smoking more than being alive Pure and simple the ciggies outsmarted you...outsmarted by a little tiny white stick I would feel kind of stupid

Old 08-15-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
So maybe you enjoy smoking, but, do you enjoy smoking more than being alive Pure and simple the ciggies outsmarted you...outsmarted by a little tiny white stick I would feel kind of stupid

Ummm....I believe he IS still alive, wouldn't you think? That is, unless he posted that and immediately died.

So, if he's still smoking and still as much alive as you are, how did the little tiny white sticks outsmart him?

Old 08-15-2009, 06:48 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ummm....I believe he IS still alive, wouldn't you think? That is, unless he posted that and immediately died.

So, if he's still smoking and still as much alive as you are, how did the little tiny white sticks outsmart him?
You don't get it do you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health