Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Its an ok article however I disagree with them on cholesterol. Cholesteral consumption in the diet has minimal impact on your blood cholesterol levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 11:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
6/3 I bought the flaxseed oil caps last night and will add them to my fish oil caps.

I'm pretty sure it was you that posted the link about the flaxseed oil killing leukemia in a petrie dish.

Anyway, we'll see if I become a rocket scientist over the next few weeks!

Old 01-23-2009, 06:21 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
6/3 I bought the flaxseed oil caps last night and will add them to my fish oil caps.

I'm pretty sure it was you that posted the link about the flaxseed oil killing leukemia in a petrie dish.

Anyway, we'll see if I become a rocket scientist over the next few weeks!
Good for you moonshadow .

Old 01-23-2009, 02:06 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,383 times
Another healthy brain list from Mercola.com

How to Keep Your Brain Healthy: Nine Essential Tips

A healthy lifestyle can help protect, nourish, and revitalize your brain. This includes:

1. Taking omega-3 fats. The omega -3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) keep the dopamine levels in your brain high, increase neuronal growth in the frontal cortex of your brain, and increase cerebral circulation. Krill oil is an excellent source of omega-3, and may even be superior to fish oil.

2. Exercising. Exercise may encourage your brain to work at optimum capacity by causing nerve cells to multiply, strengthening their interconnections and protecting them from damage.

3. Sleeping well. It’s during sleep that your mental energy is restored, and a lack of sleep may cause your brain to stop producing new cells.

4. Eating healthy. Like the rest of your body, your brain depends on healthy foods to function. While protein is the main source of fuel for your brain, vitamins and minerals from fresh veggies are also important, as is limiting sugar.

5. Getting out into the sun. This will help you maintain optimal vitamin D levels. Scientists are now beginning to realize vitamin D is involved in maintaining the health of your brain, as they’ve recently discovered vitamin D receptors in the brain, spinal cord, and central nervous system.

There’s even evidence indicating vitamin D improves your brain’s detoxification process. For children and pregnant women, getting enough vitamin D is especially crucial, as it may play a major role in protecting infants' brains from autism.

6. Turning off the TV. Allowing children under the age of 3 to watch television can impair their linguistic and social development, and it can affect your brain chemistry as well.

7. Protecting your brain from cell phones. Recent studies have found that cell phone users are 240 percent more prone to brain tumors, and a study back in 2004 found that your risk of acoustic neuroma (a tumor on your auditory nerve) was nearly four times greater on the side of your head where your phone was most frequently held.

8. Challenging your brain. Mind-training exercises can keep your brain fit as you age. This can be something as simple as searching for famous people whose first names begin with the letter A, doing crossword puzzles or playing board games that get you thinking.

9. Avoiding foods that contain artificial sweeteners and additives. Substances such as aspartame (Nutrasweet) and MSG, which are common in processed foods, can damage your brain. For instance, consuming a lot of aspartame may inhibit the ability of enzymes in your brain to function normally, and high doses of the sweetener may lead to neurodegeneration.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Its an ok article however I disagree with them on cholesterol. Cholesteral consumption in the diet has minimal impact on your blood cholesterol levels.
It's hereditary. With diet, exercise, some people improve dramatically; most don't.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Good for you moonshadow .
Well I sure am posting more in the debate threads 6/3!

That flaxseed oil might be turning me into a brainiac!

........Or a motor mouth

Actually it's only been a few days and I do feel "better" somehow.

We shall see, I will keep monitoring it.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health