Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 PM
tao tao started this thread

721 posts, read 3,188,545 times

Advertisements

My husband has Asperger's Syndrome. Does anyone else have a spouse or loved one with it? I'd love to hear about your experiences with it, advice, tips, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
What is it? A functional form of autism? I'm wondering b'c my nephew is a functional autistic but I've never heard the word asperber's syndrome come up, yet.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:44 PM
tao tao started this thread

721 posts, read 3,188,545 times
It's sometimes considered to be a very high functioning form of autism. My husband has an IQ of 176 but having Asperger's has limited him from leading a normal and productive life, particularly for one so intellectually gifted.

From Wikepedia: Asperger syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
"Asperger syndrome is one of the autism spectrum disorders (ASD) or pervasive developmental disorders (PDD), which are a spectrum of psychological conditions that are characterized by abnormalities of social interaction and communication that pervade the individual's functioning, and by restricted and repetitive interests and behavior. Like other psychological development disorders, ASD begins in infancy or childhood, has a steady course without remission or relapse, and has impairments that result from maturation-related changes in various systems of the brain."

Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Thank you for the info. My nephew has a very high IQ also so I assume that's part of it? The first time I heard the word--that I recall anyway--was on Boston Legal, one of the lawyers had it. I'm sorry it's affected your husband like this tho'. Looking forward to seeing what others have to say about it, maybe something I can pass on to my sister. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:58 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
From my experience, I know there is a genetic component to Asperger's Syndrome or High Functioning Autisum and it takes lots of understanding and compassion to live with someone who has it; and even more strength for the Aspie to endure living in a world that is "different" for him/her. Some years ago, I ran across an excellent online support Forum for people and families who have the condition; I don't remember the Forum's name.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
The older brother of a close friend of my daughter's has Asberger's; he's in his late twenties now. He's a very gifted writer but has had several emotional battles and prefers strict order in his life.

An interesting book review on the music critic Tim Page, who wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's until he was an adult:
'Parallel Play: Growing Up With Undiagnosed Asperger's' by Tim Page -- latimes.com

Old 09-16-2009, 11:10 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
From my experience, I know there is a genetic component to Asperger's Syndrome or High Functioning Autisum and it takes lots of understanding and compassion to live with someone who has it; and even more strength for the Aspie to endure living in a world that is "different" for him/her. Some years ago, I ran across an excellent online support Forum for people and families who have the condition; I don't remember the Forum's name.
I have an ex-husband (EX being the operative word there!) and 3 sons, all with Asperger's. They think in a whole different way and it can be very challenging to deal with. I did not realize my ex-husband had Asperger's until long after my sons were born and diagnosed.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:10 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
My 21 year old son has Asperger's and it has been heartbreaking to watch his social ineptitude and the cruelty of people who refuse to understand that while he is different he is so intelligent and has a very dry sense of humor that often flies above the heads of those listening.

He has an IQ of 164 and has difficulty understanding why some of his teachers would give out erroneous information as 'fact'.

Those with Asperger's need understanding, love and support from those who love them. The 'joke' in the family was that it took my son around a year to warm up to his father; but it is unfortunately the truth. It is difficult for these people to form attachments with others and often have sensory issues that set them further apart from their peers.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:34 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
Good luck to all of you with Asperger's people in your lives. My brother is intelligent but at times still socializes like a child. He demands a lot of attention that is often difficult to give. He has self-estranged himself from his family to the extent that we rarely ever talk or see each other. He has convinced himself that it's less taxing on his emotions to do that, however he cherishes and is proud of the relationships that he manages to make with other people.

You have to be especially patient, kind, and understanding, but that can be difficult, emotionally and intellectually, and also unpleasant and exhausting.

Not everyone wants to play chess to relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health