U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:08 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,646,693 times

Advertisements

I am sure others here have trouble sleeping I have been taking Ambien for about a year and just recently switched to Ambien CR which I do like better although I still wake up around two or three AM I usually log onto the computer and go back to sleep for a couple more hours though. I have been very faithful about good sleep hygenie which is very helpful as well. I am just curious what others do to help them sleep. I find I am having to take an Ambien every night though which does concern me a bit
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 PM

22,031 posts, read 31,288,734 times
I have had trouble sleeping all my life, I have been taking Ambein for about four years now but I'm not concerned about it. I only take about 2-3mg.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I have had trouble sleeping all my life, I have been taking Ambein for about four years now but I'm not concerned about it. I only take about 2-3mg.
Good I am glad you are not concerned!!! Ambien CR does help me sleep

Off topic I see you like NC....my hubby and I are sort of considering a move there. Going to visit in three week.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:41 PM

105 posts, read 227,399 times
I sleep in the daytime so I have a few suggestions based on information I've gathered here and there, along with my personal experience:

1. Only sleep in your bed. Don't read or watch TV, use a laptop computer. (Let's not go there.)
2. Daily exercise. Yes, walking counts. In fact, it's an excellent choice.
3. Limit caffeine in the evening as well as sugar. This means chocolate and sodas.
4. Eliminate unnecessary noise by using earplugs, a fan, or a white noise device.
6. If something is on your mind, write it down and deal with it the next day.
7. Try to keep the same sleep routine, i.e. the same hours.
8. Don't eat anywhere near your bedtime.
9. Quit drinking and smoking. Alcohol is a depressant but it also makes
getting REM (Rapid Eye Movement) or "deep" sleep more difficult.
Nicotine acts as a stimulant.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Good I am glad you are not concerned!!! Ambien CR does help me sleep

Off topic I see you like NC....my hubby and I are sort of considering a move there. Going to visit in three week.
Hey it's your thread, you can take it off topic I envy you! I wish I was moving there!!! Good luck with that and your sleeping.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:56 PM

16,649 posts, read 34,314,705 times
That Ambien will make you do some crazy stuff, I took it years ago and I hallucinated. A friend of mine took it and his wife found him walking around his yard at midnight in his underwear.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That Ambien will make you do some crazy stuff, I took it years ago and I hallucinated. A friend of mine took it and his wife found him walking around his yard at midnight in his underwear.
I've heard stories like this, but I've never had a problem with it.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:06 PM

Thankfully never had problems like that

Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,875,660 times
Ambien does nothing to or for me. Lunesta either. Was given Halcion some years back and again-nothing! Weird, I know.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 AM

3,874 posts, read 6,890,137 times
I have had a lot of trouble sleeping lately. I am beyond stressed, and I work midnights, so my sleep has been screwy.

I had tried Ambien before, but didn't like it. I always felt tired the whole day, and would have horrible, vivid nightmares, in which I would be getting killed in all of them

I went to my doctor recently. I take Adderall for ADHD, so I know that can cause a bit of problems with sleep.

At First, he prescribed Rozerum, (sp), it works great once you fall asleep for about 4 hours, then nothing. I can take one and then 2-3 hours later still be up and active.

He prescribed me Restoril then. Same thing. I sleep for 3-4 hours, then up, then get tired again later..

This time, he prescribed me Seroquel, off label. It normally is used for Bi-Polar patients, that they usually take 2-300 mg of at a time. He gave me a few samples of 50mg, and said to cut them in half. Well, I was up one day, and really needed to get to sleep. I took a whole one. OMG!!!!!!!!!! That stuff works almost too good. I took one and sat on the couch using the laptop. Within 15 minutes, I could feel my body going limp, like it was shutting down. I went and crawled into bed, and was asleep in about 5 minutes. I woke up once, for about 10 minutes, and went right back to sleep, and got a very refreshing 8-9 hours of sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health