Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how you found out. Was it diagnosed? Is it short term memory that started getting worse or long? I've read the symptoms but figured i'd ask it from the horses mouth.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:41 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
I don't but my mother does. She was diagnosed at 51-but we noticed symptoms in her starting in her 40's. We noticed changes in memory, personality, paranoia, repeating the same thing over and over again. She also was making mistakes at work-which for her was totally out of character as she worked hard to ensure there were no errors. There were other issues too. It was short term memory that went first. She was diagnosed through months of testing- a lot of tests-both medical and educational/memory- including a Pet Scan, which supported the diagnosis.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by nicolem; 03-09-2009 at 06:51 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 11:46 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Did she "feel" anything different? Everytime i wake up i feel its a different person every time. I do not know if it is an early sign of alzheimer's or a sign of something else. The short term memory fade is big with me.

Sorry for taking so long with a reply.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:49 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
My dad, in his late 50s, is becoming noticeably forgetful.
I pray it's not Alzheimers; I'm thinking it could be a side effect of diabetes, high blood pressure, or medications used to control them.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:44 PM

466 posts, read 928,955 times
It's called mercury toxicity !

(and a lazy doctor)

Old 05-30-2009, 05:52 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,971 times
Please further define exactly what all of you mean by "forgetful" and "short term memory loss" ? Doesn't everyone eventually start being somewhat forgetful, and have a bit of a memory loss?

Old 05-31-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Did she "feel" anything different? Everytime i wake up i feel its a different person every time. I do not know if it is an early sign of alzheimer's or a sign of something else. The short term memory fade is big with me.

I am not sure how she "felt"- I just know that me, my dad and others noticed big changes in her-which started in her late 40's. She had a bad review at work-so unlike her. I would talk to her on the phone and she would have no recollection of previous conversations. She became nasty, irritable. She also started becoming-I guess paranoid is the right word-this was around mad cow time-she would not longer eat meat and also refused to get the mail because she thought that she could catch germs from it. She used to spend every waking hour outside of work in her huge garden and no longer did because of west nile and lymes disease fears. I will never forget one time I was in the car with her-she drove and I thought she was going to kill us. She did not drive after that.

Please know that alzheimers is a different disease for each and every person that has it-while there are common symptoms-no two alzheimers patients are alike.

Also, there are many other reasons that you may be having these symptoms-vitamin deficiency, medication you are taking, depression, the list goes on and on.

Have you had blood work, examination, lately? It really could be so many things. I know that going to a doctor is not fun and is expensive, but perhaps that should be the next step because your symptoms could range anywhere from a vitamin deficiency to alzheimers to a million things in between.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Nicolem

Old 05-31-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
My dad, in his late 50s, is becoming noticeably forgetful.
I pray it's not Alzheimers; I'm thinking it could be a side effect of diabetes, high blood pressure, or medications used to control them.
Does he take statins for high cholesterol? I have read that some believe that statins can affect memory.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post

Here's a couple of good research stories i've posted before about a possible connection between Alzheimer's and Diabete's or Pre Diabete's.

Diabetes Link To Alzheimer's Disease Explained - Science Daily

Alzheimer's Disease Could Be A Third Form Of Diabetes - Science Daily

Old 05-31-2009, 05:25 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
I have read that the calorie restriction diet is helpful in preventing alzheimer's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health