Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:42 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have any experience with quitting smoking? Which way seems to work best?

I'm open to any suggestions. I've already tried the gum and patch and neither worked long-term. Going cold turkey didn't work either. Do prescriptions and/or hypnosis seem to do the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:39 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Default Quitting Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Does anyone here have any experience with quitting smoking? Which way seems to work best?I'm open to any suggestions. I've already tried the gum and patch and neither worked long-term. Going cold turkey didn't work either. Do prescriptions and/or hypnosis seem to do the job?
I am seeing more and more of these posts on here and that is truly a good sign. I am now 2 years smoke free and it has been the best decision I have ever made. I am 61 and smoked from the time I was 20, so we are looking at 40 years of being a smoker...I tried to quit 5 times and failed 5 times prior to this time. I have tried cold turkey, gum and finally Chantix. The Chantix worked for me but isn't for everyone. I have heard that some people are successful with hypnosis but that it doesn't last long. With the Chantix, you also can join an online support group which I also did and found to be very helpful. Every day there was a note of encouragement that kept me going. As far as side effects from the Chantix....about the only one I had was the vivid dreams...not scary, just colorful, mostly in bright blues...greens...kind of awesome at times. LOL If you go this route, your doctor should monitor you every month to ensure that all is well and that you are not having any bad side effects.

There were also little tricks I used...I went online and found a list of over 500 chemicals that are in cigarettes...some I could pronounce and some I could not...the one that stuck out and glared at me was ARSENIC!! I did spend some time looking up some of the other chemicals online and it would scare you to death...most are VERY poisonous. I also found out that the tobacco companies use a special chemical that enhances the nicotine and makes us crave the cigarettes even worse than ever...true fact. Right in the middle of my quitting, I also saw a documentary on tv about how cigarettes and cigars, pipe tobacco are made and in one part it showed the people who make the cigarettes sweeping the falling tobacco up off the floor and tossing it into the cigarettes they were rolling...how great is this??

Besides all of the above...3 months after I quit, I found out that I had an upper aortic aneurysm and a valve that was leaking badly. Although my smoking had not caused the aneurysm, with every puff I was taking and raising my blood pressure, it was putting a strain on that aneurysm and it could have burst. I had open heart surgery a year ago and with all the repair work there and me not smoking...life is good..

I know it isn't easy and I would be the last one to condemn anyone who tries to quit and fails...don't give up. The good that comes from you stopping will absolutely overwhelm you.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:17 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Default Chantix

I quit smoking 19 months ago using Chantix. I think the most important part of quitting is really wanting to quit. Unless you're ready, you're wasting your time. I took Chantix as directed, had some side effects, sleeplessness (so I took the 2nd pill earlier), cranky, wild and crazy dreams. After nine weeks I quit the pills. You have urges but they only last a short time; just keep busy. Every time I had an urge to smoke I would start doing something. I have the most organized closets in the state! I couldn't have done it without the prescription.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:58 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,101 times
Team Chantix here as well. After trying anything and everything over the years it blows my mind how easy it is to quit with Chantix if you can put up with the side effects. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM

Thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely look into Chantix some more.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:30 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
No patches or medications here. Didn't want to use them.

I quit using a workshop organized by the Lung Association. It met weekly over ten weeks. It was great support and I learned a lot about the emotional component of smoking. For me, the physical withdrawal wasn't too hard to take, but the emotional side was hard...I'd measured my days in cigarettes, after all. (I'll start writing after I smoke a cigarette, I'll get a cigarette and call my friend, I'll sit outside and watch the birds at the feeder...while smoking a guess what?)

But I got through it. For a while, I substituted Tootsie Roll Pops for cigarettes--gave me something to do with my hands and mouth and calmed me down. Also drank gallons of fresh water and started an exercise program...

I avoided all my still-smoking friends and pubs and all alcohol for the first month as I knew they would weaken my resolve.

For me, I really, really wanted to quit so I persisted..it was so very worth it to be smoke and cough and headache free...

Old 04-15-2009, 02:40 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I quite in 96. What happened was I had the flu and didn't smoke during. I told my wife if i wasn't going to smoke then to get me the patches from the drug store. My wife made sure that i didn't run out and that I went thru the whole routine of the lesser dose patchs as described in the information. I was surpirsed how easy it was.My wife had know alot of people that satrted the patches but let them runout or didn't do the entire routine that went back to smoking.To tell you the truth it was pretty easy for me with the patches.One year after quiting I had to have a lung X-ray before a test and the doctor said it was clear with no signs when I asked him.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:03 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Does anyone here have any experience with quitting smoking? Which way seems to work best?
Yes, I've done it several times!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, I've done it several times!
I already have myself. The longest I lasted was about a month on the gum. Then, back to the cigs.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:26 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Cold turkey is the best method and it helps if you are not married to a smoker . Once the urge leaves you , you will be fine . for the first year I ate alot of breath mints and gum and candy . Yes I have gained some weight but not alot . I just put one out and got done with it and I never went back and now the smell of cigarettes makes me want to hurl . I dont know how I could not notice how bad i must have smelled back when I was smoking . I am so glad I quit .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health