U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 09:39 AM

786 posts, read 4,429,152 times

Advertisements

Is anyone addicted to sleeping pills.

For months after some health and mental issues I could not sleep. So the doctor gave me a sleeping pill prescription. I was given 2 mil of Lunesta. I slept well but felt sluggish in the morning. I felt kind of keyed up and anxious also. So I tried stopping the drugs. I could not sleep a wink for a week and was just in terrible straights. So I had to start taking them again.

Eventually I went down to 1 mil, but I am still taking the pills. I doubt I will ever get off the sleeping pills. My father was addicted to the pills for 30 years before he died.

Please tell us about your experience with sleeping pills.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:17 PM

1,075 posts, read 3,318,708 times
I've often thought about sleep pills but the risk outweighs the benefit too much for me, but on the other hand what i do now isn't really much better, a fith o wiskey lol no just kidding, i've been on neurontin for years up to 900 mg at a time, that will make you sleep good at times but then other times does nothing & when they do nothing i'll be up till 3, 4, or 5 in the mourn, sucks not being able to sleep.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:34 PM

22,026 posts, read 31,277,510 times
What is the harm in taking a sleeping pill if it helps you sleep

Old 04-11-2007, 03:07 AM

13,394 posts, read 41,912,582 times
Dingler
I think I know what you mean. ILNC, not sure about Dingler but I just don't like to be dependent on pills. I'd rather not put stuff in my body to bring about what *should* be a natural state. Plus, you don't really wake up refreshed the next day. You sort of stagger out of bed feeling foggy.
I never ever had trouble sleeping until after I had kids.
Since then, I just seem to be a light sleeper (and now the oldest is 23, it's not like I go to bed with one ear open, listening to the nursery for an imminent nightmare or illness or whatever.)
The only time I use prescription sleeping pills is when I travel overseas, so that's maybe once or twice a year, tops.
At home, I always have Benadryl or melatonin in the medicine cabinet.
But usually I take them only if I end up wide awake at 1 or 2am.
If I don't take them, I might be able to drift off. But it's just as likely that I could lay there, wide awake, till dawn. I just tend to let my thoughts take over, and can't drift off into slumberland.
Like Dingler, I hate that groggy feeling the next day. The melatonin does not effect me as badly, but it does not necessarily make me conk out, either.

I've figured out a few things about what does and doesn't effect my sleep.

Circadian Rhythms:
The worst of my sleep troubles occur in spring and fall--not sure why, it might partly be the time change

Hormones (or lack thereof):
I still get periods and the week before is usually one of sleeplessness

Exercise and fresh air:
It is not a magical cure for insomnia, but it does help

Alcohol:
Too much will disrupt my sleep

But the worriesome thing is that I can do or be all the right things, and still lie there awake, or do all the wrong things, and sleep well. The inconsistancy drives me crazy, and getting a good night's sleep has become a hobby for me.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,572,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
What is the harm in taking a sleeping pill if it helps you sleep
All medications have some type of side effect. All sleeping pills are habit forming (even if it is only emotionally habit forming) and can make you drowsy during waking hours so you end up drinking lots of caffeine or taking other substances that aren't good for you in order to be alert - you end up with a bunch of meds and chemicals in your body and that just can't be a good thing.

I have had sleeping problems off and on for many years. I find that exercise and physical labor do help me to be tired and sleep longer.

I don't want to be taking lots of pills for any reason - my body is happier and my mind sharper when I live as naturally as possible. We have become such a pill-dependent society - can't focus? Take a pill. Moody - no problem, just pop a pill? Can't sleep? Heaven's don't try to find alternative methods to popping pills. Overweight - take a shot, some pills and eat lima beans for 2 weeks - wouldn't want to do anything sensible like eating sensibly.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:16 AM

22,026 posts, read 31,277,510 times
I tried all the natural stuff, it didn't help me sleep at all. I took the over the counter stuff and stayed away all night I've been taking about 3mg of Ambien for about three years now with no side effects the next day. I've had trouble with sleep since the day I was born.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:53 PM

5,284 posts, read 18,572,681 times
Most doctors will not endorse taking Ambien for 3 years. Ambien is a sedative/hypnotic and many believe it is in fact very addictive. It is meant to be taken for short periods of time, as in a week to 10 days, not 3 years - a long term dosage is considered 30 days - and you have been taking it for 3 years??!! Last month the FDA mandated new warnings about serious side-effects of Ambien and several other similar drugs. Among the serious side effects are severe allergic reactions that result in head swelling and/or breathing problems resulting sometimes in death (the most prevalent side effect has to do with breathing problems - and you can develop allergies to a drug even after taking it for several years). Another side effect:Complex behavioral changes. You may think you aren't having side effects when you really are. Be careful. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ng-pills_N.htm

Old 04-11-2007, 04:07 PM

32,797 posts, read 13,670,258 times
I take Lunesta also and feel fine in the morning. I have been on sleep medication for years now, first Ambien, now Lunesta. I went to a sleep doctor who said, because my problem was falling asleep to take 1 mg melatonin 2 hrs before the time I wanted to go to sleep and do that for 2 weeks then decrease the dosage of melatonin in 1/2 for 2 weeks. I didn't have the patience for that. I NEED TO SLEEP. I just do not function without proper sleep. Even with Lunesta I can stay awake, tossing, getting up and down until 3AM!! It sucks! I am a 54 yr old female with a high stress job, so when I lay down the brain kicks in, it's very hard to stop the thinking. I don't know what else to do. My dependence is psychological, not physical.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:28 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,563,331 times
I've had 5mg Ambien pills for about 3 years also. Of course I don't take them every night, sometimes I go weeks without having to take them. It helped me get through menapause sleepless nights, and anyone who has gone through menapause will know what I mean. I don't even take a whole pill, just break in half and that is enough to get me sleeping. I don't feel I am addicted, nor do I feel drugged the next day. Rather, rested and not at all like I did when I counted the hours of those sleepless nights. That is when I had to drink caffeine to stay awake.

Pill abuse takes many forms, as does many other addictions, a person needs to control those addictions, or be honest to your physician. Just my opinion.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:05 AM

11,878 posts, read 34,387,031 times
There's certainly nothing wrong with taking something to help you sleep, but my personal experience with Lunesta (and Ambien) is that although it helped me sleep - the next day I felt all knotted up inside and anxious. I even experienced heart palpitations. Although they tout them as generally being non-addictive, they are addictive if taken consistently. Not like the serious drugs such as valium, but addictive nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health