Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:15 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,298,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
She did have to go thru a psychiatrist to get her meds for a couple of years, but he didn't do much of anything except write a prescription.
In my experience, having seen three or four psychiatrists through the years, this is pretty much what p-docs do. They oversee your medications. None of the p-docs I ever used did therapy with me. In fact, a typical session was only 30 minutes once a month. For therapy, I went to a psychologist, licensed social worker, etc.

Quote:
At least maybe a therapist could help some work through their depression to where it is minimized and maybe then medication would be more beneficial
For me, the therapy/anti-depressant combo worked, but it worked for me in the reverse of how you have it here. The medication took the edge off the worst of the symptoms, and then that improved state of mind allowed me to do good work with the therapist. The last cocktail I was on was especially helpful. The doctor prescribed Concerta, which is an ADD drug, to go with my Celexa, which is an antidepressant.

When I get depressed, it manifests itself in memory loss, an inability to focus and concentrate, and some profound mental fuzziness. It's like my brain is just out to lunch and I can't THINK and I can't REMEMBER. The Concerta really helped me think and focus and remember, and that made it much easier for me to cope with the demands of my life and make good inroads with my therapist. It wasn't so much that the Concerta/Celexa combo improved my mood or made me happy or anything like that. That wasn't it. But it was just such a relief to be able to think. So much of treating depression is thinking, remembering, examining, processing, resolving, and learning and I just couldn't do any of that -- plus hold down a full-time job to support myself -- while my brain was packed in cotton.

(By the way, I DON'T have ADD. I was surprised that the p-doc prescribed the Concerta for me, considering I don't have ADD, but he told me why he was prescribing it, and it truly worked exactly as he expected it would.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 07:07 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,674,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
I believe I said take the medication, but also see a therapist. My daughter has been on antidepressants for years...just about every one on the market. Now she's back to prozac. But not one doctor has sent her to a therapist and it ticks me off.

She did have to go thru a psychiatrist to get her meds for a couple of years, but he didn't do much of anything except write a prescription. "Oh, here, take a pill; ok, let's double that dose." And she's still depressed. So why spend all that money when you're still depressed? At least maybe a therapist could help some work through their depression to where it is minimized and maybe then medication would be more beneficial.
My apologies, I miss read your post as the opposite. It is surprising how many doctor's do just shove another pill down your throat.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:20 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,387,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I have been on Paxil for about a year now after being on Prozac for 10+ years. Prozac was great for many years but I hit the Prozac-poop out when it seemed to stop helping. So I switched to Paxil and am starting to dislike it due to: frequent anger, really low sex drive, and no better-than-well feeling like I had with Prozac.

So what do I do now? I'm not sure this is the time to drop everything because it's a really busy period on the job.

Can anyone with experience recommend perhaps one of the newer antidepressants? Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Gloomy and grouchy in DC
Maybe you should add an exercise program along with whatever drug therapy you're on. Exercise releases natural endorphins which will also help to boost your mood.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guid...ise-depression

Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 PM

479 posts, read 1,452,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
In my experience, having seen three or four psychiatrists through the years, this is pretty much what p-docs do. They oversee your medications. None of the p-docs I ever used did therapy with me. In fact, a typical session was only 30 minutes once a month. For therapy, I went to a psychologist, licensed social worker, etc.

For me, the therapy/anti-depressant combo worked, but it worked for me in the reverse of how you have it here. The medication took the edge off the worst of the symptoms, and then that improved state of mind allowed me to do good work with the therapist. The last cocktail I was on was especially helpful. The doctor prescribed Concerta, which is an ADD drug, to go with my Celexa, which is an antidepressant.

When I get depressed, it manifests itself in memory loss, an inability to focus and concentrate, and some profound mental fuzziness. It's like my brain is just out to lunch and I can't THINK and I can't REMEMBER. The Concerta really helped me think and focus and remember, and that made it much easier for me to cope with the demands of my life and make good inroads with my therapist. It wasn't so much that the Concerta/Celexa combo improved my mood or made me happy or anything like that. That wasn't it. But it was just such a relief to be able to think. So much of treating depression is thinking, remembering, examining, processing, resolving, and learning and I just couldn't do any of that -- plus hold down a full-time job to support myself -- while my brain was packed in cotton.

(By the way, I DON'T have ADD. I was surprised that the p-doc prescribed the Concerta for me, considering I don't have ADD, but he told me why he was prescribing it, and it truly worked exactly as he expected it would.)
Thank you for relating your experiences. It sounds like you were able to explain what was happening to you and that you had a doctor who looked beyond conventional treatment!

And I agree that with the meds first, you were better able to work through some issues with the therapist. Hey, Concerta works with ADHD/ADD patients to help them focus, why not you? Good for him/her to work with you on it! I wish you the best!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 PM

548 posts, read 2,093,718 times
The British Health Service doesn't cover pharma anti-depressant meds - prozac, etc - because numerous unpublished studies show they are no more effective than a placebo. They don't work; it's a big ripoff.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,479,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
The British Health Service doesn't cover pharma anti-depressant meds - prozac, etc - because numerous unpublished studies show they are no more effective than a placebo. They don't work; it's a big ripoff.
I am sorry teacher, but you are wrong and misinformed.
Also your comments about Europe and St. Johns.
But here you go,
SSRI that are covered by the BHS:
Source: SSRIs-(selective-serotonin-reuptake-inhibitors) - Names (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/SSRIs-(selective-serotonin-reuptake-inhibitors)/Pages/Names.aspx - broken link)

There are several different SSRIs. Names include:
  • Citalopram (brand name Cipramil)
  • Escitalopram (brand name Cipralex)
  • Fluoxetine (brand name Prozac)
  • Fluvoxamine (brand name Faverin)
  • Paroxetine (brand name Seroxat)
  • Sertraline (brand name Lustral)

More information just in case you have any more dough:
Full list of all drugs covered by the NHS:
Antidepressant drugs medicines include:

Source: Antidepressant drugs - Medicine Guides - NHS Choices

Even more information about BHS:
Source:
Treating depression

Antidepressants: selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) should be considered over tricyclic antidepressants because of better safety and fewer side effects. All patients should be informed that withdrawal symptoms may occur when stopping, missing doses, or reducing the dose.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:47 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,841,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I have been on Paxil for about a year now after being on Prozac for 10+ years. Prozac was great for many years but I hit the Prozac-poop out when it seemed to stop helping. So I switched to Paxil and am starting to dislike it due to: frequent anger, really low sex drive, and no better-than-well feeling like I had with Prozac.

So what do I do now? I'm not sure this is the time to drop everything because it's a really busy period on the job.

Can anyone with experience recommend perhaps one of the newer antidepressants? Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Gloomy and grouchy in DC
Have you tried Lexapro? After years and years of denying that I was in a constant state of depression I allowed my Doctor (after years of her pleading) to put me on 10, and then 20 milligrams of lexapro.

It took about 3 months to "kick in" but I have to say that I feel better these days.

The side effects, for me, were very minor, such as my jaw muscles wanting to clinch. But that went away after a short period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health