Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 05:33 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
when do the withdrawl symptoms end. Its utter hell, the physical withdrawl is bad. I had to actually put on 2 patches. This is a real battle. Coke, food, booze is easy. I have never had such bad withdrawl symptoms, Im in sheer hell. WHen does it get better?????
Stick with it, because you're on the way to being emancipated from your slave like addiction to nicotine. Your body will be very thankful not to mention your family and friends as well. Nothing worth fighting for is ever easy. By this time in a couple of weeks, you'll be looking back and saying how much is worth it not to mention that it was easier then you thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 02:21 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
I find simply staying uber busy has almost completely taken my mind off smoking. I cannot smoke at work I will not smoke at home. So I have to make an effort to stop what im doing and find time to go out to smoke. Hard to do with deadlines and 60hr work weeks(70 if you take commute into account). When im home I have very little downtime. Between my son and housework and the neverending honey-do list, again i have to pull away from doing something to go outside to smoke. On the off chance that I do have down time, I found the cravings unbearable in the beginning. I have one and try to find something to keep me busy as quickly as possible. Now its not so bad and i can last a few hours before the cravings start to kick in again.

Now, this was not a plan that I used to quit smoking. Its just started happening this way and I have only had maybe 10 cigarettes in the last 2-3 months. I dont think i will ever stop completely. I've been smoking on and off for 15 years and I enjoy it way too much. Ive even tried switching to a hookah (so i get my fix...but its a pain to setup so I have to be really motivated to smoke it).

Old 09-16-2009, 04:16 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
well the bad news is I relapsed with cigarettes and I know why! Here is the reason as dumb as it sounds. I gave up illegal drugs along time ago, I dont drink, I gave up food (Junk food) I gave up diet coke and I gave up all refined carbs, then I GAVE UP cigarettes. I was doing good quit july 4th, then the truth is it was a friday night. I lost my mom, dad is a mess and I felt that I had no enjoyment in life anymore. I felt like what can I do to have a good time on friday. As you can see I equated fun and enjoyment with smoking and LUNG CANCER. So I relapsed. I smoked. Now I am on the patch, taking it off at night and having three. Next it will be two then one then none, just the patch. SO I am human, ashamed and scared about cancer so I am trying again. The difference is I am not in withdrawl agony because I am on the patch. Pray I can do it.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:04 PM

11 posts, read 27,614 times
You shouldn't be ashamed, you should be PROUD of yourself! You're not the first person on the planet to stumble along the path of becoming smoke-free. But you picked yourself up and got back on the path! Good good GOOD for YOU!!

I'm really sorry about your mom...

Old 09-17-2009, 07:58 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,280 times
Look at it this way, the more you abstain, the less damage you are doing.

Do not use THAT as an excuse to have a pack a day (Hey, its better than 2 packs!!! ), but just realize that if you are able to go a few months here and there on no smoke (or substantially reduced), you decrease the chance of getting cancer.

You buy a few less tickets in Deaths Lottery.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
i dont understand how people enjoy smoking. its gross. i like donuts. they are yums! i also like tartufo. its eating that kind of stuff that i need to resist.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Marilyn,

It's extremely hard to quit and life's stresses make it even more difficult.
You have climbed back on board, you will do it

Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
thanks all , on the patch, taking it off tonight and having two cigarettes. This is the plan for today.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
just dont have any cigarettes

Old 09-17-2009, 01:12 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
thanks all , on the patch, taking it off tonight and having two cigarettes. This is the plan for today.
One day at a time you'll get there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health