Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:30 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times

Advertisements

when will it go away. Its been almost 6 days. Symptoms are heartburn, aches and pain, bloating, gas, cant eat, brain fog and headache. When will this end!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 04:36 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
aloha steve the first 3 weeks or so you just feel terrible. it does go away. I found the brain fog to be the worst along with a head ache. it is a bit of a roller coaster ride. you can also find some great info on what happens to your body during the detox period at about.com in their smoking forum. it has some great info that can make you feel better about what you are going through. stay strong and look forward. I have beeb quit now for ten years after a 20 plus year habit of 2.5 packs a day. it was hard but quitting was the best thing I ever did.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:29 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,215,272 times
Stay busy, focused, (but try not to be stressed) or be sleeping. Just my recommendation. You might try keeping some sweetened non-caf iced tea at had at all times too. Gum.
Honestly, brain fog definately - nervousness irritibility etc, yes, the other stuff? Doesn't sound like quitting smoking.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,171,725 times
If your withdrawals are that bad, you really might want to consider talking to your pharmacist for an over the counter help aid. Once you get a grasp on the mental fogginess (that is such a bad feeling), then you will be able to combat all the other symptoms. Sounds like you just need a little help to get you to the other side.

Good luck my friend!!! I know it can be done....but initially it is a hard mountain to climb.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,663 times
My sympathies! And only someone who has been thru it can say that...I cried and had almost all those same symptoms and would have traded my marriage for a cigarette at times! I was even mad at him because when he quit smoking it didn't seem to bother him.

But it does get easier even though it feels like it never will happen. Just think of it as your body purging! If you're having bad heartburn, get some Pepcid chewables and hopefully that will help. And drink lots of water and do deep breathing exercises to help flush your system.

I quit 8 years ago after smoking 30 years...thank God I quit when I did! And the truth of it is, I didn't feel much better after I quit for a long time. Plan on giving yourself a treat with every milestone. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant, but say at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months...do something special to reward your quitting. You'll not regret this major step in your life. You have my best wishes!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:41 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,729 times
It is very normal not to feel so good initially after quitting. It will get easier, trust me. It took me about a month to feel normal again but it was well worth it. There are a lot of OTC meds that will help with the symptoms you mentioned. Good luck and hang in there.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 PM

7,123 posts, read 12,659,449 times
This may help you, the smoking class I took recommended drinking lots of fresh-squeezed vegetable and fruit juices--and lots of water--to help flush the chemicals/toxins from your system--was told this would shorten the withdrawal symptoms...I do think it helped me...

Old 07-10-2009, 03:44 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times
thank you all!!! Well a new day, it was so terrible last night I just went up to be and crawled under the blanket and did not get up until now. I feel good right now, but this never lasts too long. Lets hope today is the day I feel better. The one good thing is I have actually lost weight, I feel so bad I cant eat!!

Old 07-10-2009, 04:10 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,663 times
Hey steve! Maybe you should talk to your doctor and see what s/he recommends. I think most of this is simply anxiety, so there's possibly some alternatives for you during this time. Get ready to gain some weight when you're feeling better!!

Have you tried exercising? If you're able, go for a run or walk or anything to relieve some of that stress that goes along with quitting.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:39 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
when will it go away. Its been almost 6 days. Symptoms are heartburn, aches and pain, bloating, gas, cant eat, brain fog and headache. When will this end!!!!!
Please hang tough with the not smoking. You are detoxing. Are you drinking lots of water to help flush the nicotine out of your system? I am now nicotine free for 2 years and will NEVER smoke again. The difference in the way you will feel once the detox is over is amazing. Everything you are experiencing is definitely the nicotine working its way out of your body plus don't forget there is also the emotional part of trying to overcome the habit itself. It is nasty stuff. Nastier than anyone would ever realize.

If you feel like you are going to backslide and perhaps smoke to get rid of these detox symptoms....go online and find a support group, but know this...there are over 500 toxic chemicals in cigarettes one of them is arsenic. Knowing this fact was enough to keep me away from them.

As I mentioned, you should be drinking lots of water and if you don't like water, drink ice tea, lemonade, even good old Kool-Aid...just keep flushing the nasty stuff out of your body. If you can make a full week, you will see the symptoms ease up.

Good luck, and stay strong. You won't regret it. I sure don't. I am in your corner and if you need to talk yourself through this, please feel free to send me a private message. I would love to help you if I can.

CP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health