Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:05 AM

215 posts, read 606,952 times

Advertisements

I just feel like I don't have anything that I would want to do as a career or anything. I have no goals or ambitions in life.

I have tried to go to college twice, but both times dropped out because I honestly didn't know what I wanted to go for, and I just couldn't see wasting money on something I didn't enjoy and never use. Was that the wrong choice to make or what?

I do have some skills in IT, pc repair, software knowledge, hardware, networking, some web dev skills, etc.

But I can never seem to enjoy anything I do. I have recently started cooking a lot more, and everyone says I should go to culinary school, but honestly, I don't enjoy it that much. Am I just destined to stay in this low job or what?

Don't get me wrong, I love my job, except for the pay of it. I'm only making like 20k a year or something like that. It's a work from home job as a video editor. Free equipment to do the work, so I can't really start my own editing firm, as I have no money to buy the equipment with.

I don't have any real life friends, I'm always on the computer or working to go out anywhere. Even if I did go out, I couldn't make any friends as I've always stayed to myself around others. All during elementary, middle, and high school was like that. I'd merely just go sit off away from everyone or spend the day in the computer lab while everyone was at lunch or something. That's past now, so enough of that.

I'm 21, well going to be in 2 days, and I have nothing that I look forward to or have accomplished.

Is now a good time to start up like web businesses that deal with design, development, pc solutions, etc, or is the economy hitting that hard to.

I just feel like I'm here for nothing. Don't be like go take a vacation and think about what I want too do or something, as I've got no money whatsoever. All my money that comes in goes towards rent, still living at home, car insurance, car payment. I only make $10/hr and get paid every two weeks. Sometimes I'll only get like $300 per check, others I'll have $700+ per check. All depends on how much work I had from my boss.

What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 08:58 AM

481 posts, read 805,947 times
You sound very depressed. I recommend you start an exercise program to boost your energy level. Try going for long walks, breathing deeply and swinging your arms.

Also, find a group to join. This will be hard for you, but it will really help you! Is there a local pc group you can attend? Call your library and ask. You probably have a lot of knowledge you could share with others. Go for it!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You need professional help. Please find a therapist to see; the county mental health clinic may have a long weaiting list but it will be worth it. I think you have been depresssed for most of your life (yes, children get depressed). You will be amazed at how much better you feel with the right medication and some talk therapy. Please go, life is worth it.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 AM

You should consider medication as a very LAST resort.
First, find a group to participate in, and also get lots of exercise, even if you don't want to.
You need to pump oxygen every day! This alone will improve your mood.
Your life is what YOU make of it. Nobody is going to do it for you.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times
You need to enlist in the military. They will set you straight in life and you will have a blast too...

Old 07-28-2009, 09:52 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
You're whole scenario sounds very familiar and I'm not sure it's not typical of many people especially your age whose life revolves around the computer. I'm sure they'll be studies concerning this in the near future.

Social isolation is not a good thing nor is lack of physical activity. You need to purposely establish a better balance in your life. Starting with the cooking was a good idea as it's creative and fun. Make a point to get out of the house and into the sunshine for at least an hour or two every day. Gardening, bike riding, golf, or join an outdoor adventure group at meetup to connect with others. Making sure you have fun will vastly improve your entire life and outlook.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
You're whole scenario sounds very familiar and I'm not sure it's not typical of many people especially your age whose life revolves around the computer. I'm sure they'll be studies concerning this in the near future.

Social isolation is not a good thing nor is lack of physical activity. You need to purposely establish a better balance in your life. Starting with the cooking was a good idea as it's creative and fun. Make a point to get out of the house and into the sunshine for at least an hour or two every day. Gardening, bike riding, golf, or join an outdoor adventure group at meetup to connect with others. Making sure you have fun will vastly improve your entire life and outlook.
Great ideas! Going hiking in a small group is great fun. Just remember, to have a friend, BE a friend.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post

You need to enlist in the military.
They will set you straight in life and you will have a blast too...
And if you survive the blast with all your limbs intact, and are not blind nor brain damaged, you can spend the next ten years in therapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 81,495 times
it sounds like you really need a friend or some hobbies. Have you ever tried looking for a local computer
club or maybe a local church. You have your whole life in front of you with so many possibilities that I
am sure you could find something that would interest you

Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Start going to bed at sunset and getting up at sunrise. It isn't uncommon for people who are awake and asleep at all the wrong hours to get bluesy.

Starting a workout routine would be a good idea also. You can be running, doing push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, squats, lunges, dips and curls, to name a few, without spending a dime.

If you are spending hours on the computer until your eyes are completely bloodshot, eating poorly, not staying hydrated, not sleeping enough or at the right times and not getting any exercise in the sun - it shouldn't be a surprise that you feel terrible.

Feeling sorry for yourself or becoming comfortable with a defeatist attitude is the real mistake. 21 is young. If you were expecting to have set the world on fire at 21 you were probably not very grounded in reality. Contrary to popular belief, it still requires many years of hard work to become an expert and leave your own little scratch on the world. Why don't you think about going back to school for graphic design?

You have plenty of time for accomplishment and I think you are feeling poorly because you know that to keep doing what you're doing will guarantee that you do not accomplish anything. Get outside and make something happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health