Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:21 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times

Advertisements

Looking for fellow sufferers and wondering what has worked for you.

I have had good luck with melatonin but I have no self-discipline to actually TAKE the stuff. LOL

Talk to me people.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 06:52 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times
Well I am super late on replying but I as well am pretty sure I have this too...
Get the discipline to take the melatonin it really works.
Ambien works as well....I love ambien.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,404 times
Ambien CR works ok, but, I still find that at times nothing can makes me fall asleep

Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,454 times
I was a victim of delayed sleep phase syndrome. It becomes very hard to deal with such a sleep disorder but with constant hard work and dedication and following doctor's advice, I was able to overcome it. I followed sleep hygiene practices and also became more disciplined about my sleep. This helps.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,425 times
Thank you for commenting. “Doctors don’t believe you” is a major problem I struggled with for decades. I’m so glad people are discovering this forum if it is a help, as intended.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:01 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,235 times
10 years working third shift and not being an "owl". I took the OTC stuff, gradually having to boost the dose from 25mg to 100mg/day in order to sleep.

18 months after leaving that job and it's still a struggle, made worse by the fact that I've entered the menopause years where insomnia can also be an issue with the changing hormone levels.

My doctor prescribed Ambien. My first dose sent me on such a wonky trip, I threw the rest away. Now, I'm trying to find a day shift job so that I'm forced into a routine that might see me sleeping a regular night schedule.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 AM

5 posts, read 7,428 times
Hi, i am a newbie here. I am 55 years old now. Speaking of insomnia issues, I am the queen of it! I do not know why i have to rely on Klonopen, benedryl, melatonin, elavil, xanax, trozadone (which is an ugly drug) and many others over the years. I currently take klonopen 3mg nighty so i can fall asleep! And when i run out of those early, i run to the drug store and get benedryl + melatonin to hold me over till script is refilled. I dont know where in my life i ended up being a chronic insomniac. I know one thing, not being able to fall asleep, and flip flop all night long and before i know it, the sun is rising, is the most horrific experience, that is why i take klonopen for many years now. Now, i am totally addicted to them. I feel ashamed, but, i cant help it! I dont drink, smoke cigarettes, nothing else. I do have a chronic and disabling skin disease though, and it is very difficult to live with! I have had that disease for 30 years already, and it has progressed into both armpits. It has been since 8 years ago that this started in my armpits. I've been on SO many different weird meds for it, even those biologic meds, i.e Remicade infusions and all it did was make the disease progress even more! The drug is not FDA approved for my condition, so i got used as a ginea pig to see if it would get it under control! OMG! Out of Control is all i got! Now, 2 years later, they want me to try Humara! Another biologic self injectible. Not FDA approved either. I am real scared to try that Humara! My derm just says "well" we have has **some** success with it! Notice i highlighted the word some? This disease i speak of is called hidradenitis suppurativa. Horrible disease! All i get is the run around in that when i tell that doctor the carbon C02 laser WORKS, had it done many years ago! The doctor that did it for me has since passed away! My gut instinct tells me that Humara isnt going to work either. How can it? For this disease literally leaves open holes in your skin that tunnel down deep. Only surgery can rid of those holes, not a serum! Boy oh boy! I think it's time for my klonopen. Got to get that precious sleep! PS: I tried that Ambien 1 time and did not like it a BIT! Weird drug to me! Lastly, i chose my member name because a family member got mad at me, and told me she thinks i have borderline PD. Man that hurt! Thinking that my family thinks i have this! I dont think i fit the bill for that! Bipolar maybe but not BPD. OH and lastly, lol! the klononen is used for managing mood swings for those who have bipolar. I havent had any diagnosis of either, yet! This disease i live with is enough to drive anybody over the edge, trust me! That is why i take the klonopen, so i can get good sleep, otherwise, i am to uncomfortable. What this chronic disease has done to my personality is aweful, constantly stressed because of the disease, i cant go camping, swimming in lakes, or go on hikes with the grand kids because of it! I get so depressed having to tell them, Oh! I am so sorry grandma isnt feeling good! Well, that was a ramble on huh? Saying good night to all! And thanks for any comments you might leave!

Old 05-31-2015, 04:33 AM

6,386 posts, read 6,274,180 times
Yes, I have it too. I wish there was more awareness about it in general. I've had it since high school and many friends, family and employers have thought I was just being "difficult."

Delayed sleep phase disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Discussions of "Sleep hygiene" are a joke to people who truly have this rare medical disease. It hardly helps and it's infuriating that others see it as being so simplistic. It's like telling a depressed person to "just be happy." (Which many people do say to depressed people and they have no idea how such statements only magnify their suffering.)

Old 06-01-2015, 07:52 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Looking for fellow sufferers and wondering what has worked for you.

I have had good luck with melatonin but I have no self-discipline to actually TAKE the stuff. LOL

Talk to me people.

20yrsinBranson
Just a thought...maybe 14,000+ posts on C/D has something to do with BOTH your issues????

Old 06-04-2015, 03:03 AM

6,386 posts, read 6,274,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Just a thought...maybe 14,000+ posts on C/D has something to do with BOTH your issues????
Thank you for illustrating the type of judgment, attitude and misunderstanding that is typical of society.

Not even in *mental health forum* is this disease taken seriously. So imagine trying to explain it to your friends, family and employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health