Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 19,939 times

Advertisements

hello
i am currently friends with a woman who is bi polar,since im not familiar with this illness i'd like to find someone who is and give me a little help on how they think on everyday life,she seems to lie but tells me shes not but everything always seems funny and the dumbest things seems to be more important to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 12:27 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitloopnut View Post
hello
i am currently friends with a woman who is bi polar,since im not familiar with this illness i'd like to find someone who is and give me a little help on how they think on everyday life,she seems to lie but tells me shes not but everything always seems funny and the dumbest things seems to be more important to her.
A few things here, but I'll be brief.

First, there's a few great discussions on this topic, with a lot of good insight to exactly what you're asking. Do a search under relationships for Bi-Polar and you'll find them.

Second, do your research. There's a lot of websites that go into detail about the illness. You'll get a lot of good information here, but you'll be surprised at how many different websites there are out there designed just for people like you.

Third, realize that it takes a lot of work - not just on your part, but on hers too. If she hasn't seen a doctor about this yet, then she absolutely must. Bi-polar is more common than you might realize, and the treatments have gotten so good that most people that have the disorder live completely normal lives. For you, you just have to understand that this is what she has, and accept her for who she is.

Finally, I'll say this again: Do your research. The more you know about it, the better you'll be able to understand and cope with things.

I wish you and your friend all the best!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:33 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
bipolars dont like to take their meds consistently. they like the highs too much.
its problematic. judgment goes way down in manic. can contract AIDS pretty easily in this state.
the disease is progressive. in manic they can become very aggressive either sexual or violent.
consider this. if they tell you they are not on meds, you might be about to partner with somebody out of their head, do you wana do that?

Old 09-23-2009, 12:41 AM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
RUN FAR-FAR AWAY! On the flipside, they can be pretty wild in the sack. Like Huck said, make sure her meds are in order. They can be dangerous people when they're not!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:27 AM

365 posts, read 1,401,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
Third, realize that it takes a lot of work - not just on your part, but on hers too. If she hasn't seen a doctor about this yet, then she absolutely must. Bi-polar is more common than you might realize, and the treatments have gotten so good that most people that have the disorder live completely normal lives. For you, you just have to understand that this is what she has, and accept her for who she is.

Finally, I'll say this again: Do your research. The more you know about it, the better you'll be able to understand and cope with things.
Urban hit the nail on the head here. ^

I've been dating someone for almost 4 years now who is bi-polar. I'd say she's "normal" 95% of the time but the other 5% can be quite difficult. Being in a relationship with someone who has been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder takes a large amount of understanding & patience. While the proper medications do work extremely well, the most common issue I've run into personally is this; On long runs without any "incidents" bi-polar people tend to think that the disorder has gone away & that they no longer need medication for it. Trying to convince them that this isn't the case can be very, very, very difficult. It's usually during these times that the manic side of the disorder shows itself (roughly 2-3 days after the meds have left their system in my experience). The only advice I can give you here is you have to be both prepared & willing to deal with it when that time comes... it can & most likely will be very trying. Also, anxiety & attention seeking are major issues associated with bi-polar disorder but those vary by the person.

I'll also add that the disorder seems to be managed better by those who know they've had it for a longer period of time vs. those just recently diagnosed... which is probably just a matter of acceptance. My girlfriend's daughter who recently turned 18 (thank God) didn't deal with it very well, LOL. I can deal with my girlfriends issues pretty well, her daughter's on the otherhand, not so much!

Good luck!

Last edited by Cisco GT; 09-23-2009 at 01:38 AM..

Old 09-23-2009, 06:16 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Nothing much to add to these good posts except to stress that you should proceed with extreme caution if you're considering this relationship going beyond a "friendship."

Old 09-23-2009, 06:22 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
RUN FAR-FAR AWAY! On the flipside, they can be pretty wild in the sack. Like Huck said, make sure her meds are in order. They can be dangerous people when they're not!
I agree!!! I dated a bipolar girl before. She didn't tell me she was being treated for that until after we had been with each other for about a month. She was crazy! She hid it well before she told me, and after that she just let it go I guess lol She would cry for no reason, she would get mad for no reason, one extreme to the other!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:10 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,278 times
I would not want any of that! Get free and clear.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:16 AM

13 posts, read 27,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She will mess with your head and suck you down a rabbit hole you don't want to go.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
A long time ago, in a doctors office in a far away land, we had a patient. This patient was a CLASSIC and extreme case of being bi-polar. He would come in one day and be totally fine / normal, be able to carry on a conversation, follow directions etc... The next day he'd come in, completely forgetting about the day before, hair and clothes unkempt, completely out of control, not making sense, etc.... I witnessed this patient like this for four years. He would rarely consistently take his meds because it's true - bi-polars do not like taking their medication. A lot of times they believe - really believe that the doctors are plotting against them and that's their excuse to not take the meds.
Unless you like VERY bumpy rides and compete confusion all the time - you may want to rethink this friendship unless this person is compliant with their medications - it's the only way you can get any sense out of them.

Because you are already talking about her lying, etc.. leads me to believe she is one of the non-compliant types with her meds.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health