Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,575,527 times

Advertisements

I can not sleep! My brain just goes and goes and I am always thinking. Thinking about what I need to do, what I should have done, where I need to go, etc.
I used to sleep 10-12 hours a night. I could lay down and instantly fall asleep. However the older I get the harder it is to sleep. I am tired but I just feel I have so much to do that I am up constantly. I have a lot on my plate but even with the fact that I am really tired, I can not slow down.

What do I do to stop and relax, and get a good nights sleep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 11:25 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,136,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I can not sleep! My brain just goes and goes and I am always thinking. Thinking about what I need to do, what I should have done, where I need to go, etc.
I used to sleep 10-12 hours a night. I could lay down and instantly fall asleep. However the older I get the harder it is to sleep. I am tired but I just feel I have so much to do that I am up constantly. I have a lot on my plate but even with the fact that I am really tired, I can not slow down.

I go through lots of those times.
Some nights I take Benadryl.
Sometimes early in the evening I'll eat tuna or turkey as both (warm milk too) contain trytophan which make some people sleepy. Tuna puts me out like Ambien does to others.
Some nights I read.
Mostly I've learned to not sweat it......just go with the flow. Worrying about it doesn't help.
Good luck!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 AM

6,910 posts, read 6,827,425 times
There are a lot of tricks that can be used to get some sleep. One I find particularly helpful to other people is to have your feet rubbed (although you often need another person for this!). It is said this brings the energy down from the head where it is whizzing around and balances out in the body. I think, if you can, try not to do anything just before bed which will make your mind active. Give yourself time to prepare for bed and read or do something calm. have a warm bath and try to get yourself in the 'mood for sleep'. In the day, do some Googling about it, there is plenty of information online.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:41 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,948,113 times
I know that feeling when your mind just won't stop.
When strategizing, try to see if there is a pattern to your insomnia.
Is there something going on that triggers it?
Work? Hormones? Bedroom too warm? Snoring spouse? Are you getting enough fresh air, sunlight and exercise during the day?

Over the years I have realized that my insomnia is much worse in the fall (especially September) and spring (especially March).
I don't know *why* this is, but I am now well over 50 and I know that for me it is true. Something about my circadian rhythms.
Sometimes I just read for awhile.
If sleeplessness persists, I will take half a benadryl for a few weeks, off and on, and get through the rough patch.
I hate the morning groggy feeling from benadryl, but it is much worse going to work over-tired.
After awhile the insomnia goes away.

If you can pinpoint any reasons for your sleeplessness, maybe it will help you resolve it. I agree with Dreamweavin that going with the flow can be helpful, but I understand that if you have a lot to do the next day, this can add to the stress.
Good luck.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,433,444 times
Don't nap during the day even though you are tired. Take a hot shower or bath and drink some warm milk before bed. Read before bed, make sure you are comfortable, not too warm or cool in bed. Either sleep with some relaxing quiet music in the background or what I do is I start a mellow dream before I fall asleep. It cannot be a dream that will get you excited but something quiet, slow and mellow.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,061,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post

Melatonin

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,222,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Don't nap during the day even though you are tired. Take a hot shower or bath and drink some warm milk before bed. Read before bed, make sure you are comfortable, not too warm or cool in bed. Either sleep with some relaxing quiet music in the background or what I do is I start a mellow dream before I fall asleep. It cannot be a dream that will get you excited but something quiet, slow and mellow.
For sure DON'T nap. YES a shower or bath! YES some milk.

Do not have the tv on. Do not watch tv or go on the computer a half hour before bed.

#1 and the best advice I can give (coming from a person with a family history of sleep disorders) get a notebook. Write down your worries for the day to "get to" tomorrow! Make a list like "get phone number for doctor so and so" or "figure out a better payment plan for blank" or "remember to call mom." Keep it next to your bedside incase you think of something while you are lying there.

#2 Sleep in absolute darkness (keep flashlight next to bed)

#3 Put a fan on for air circulation and background noise.

#4 If you lie there for more than 30 minutes, get up, go in the living room and put on a dim light and read a bit or just sit and relax. Step outside for a bit of fresh air.

#5 NEVER sleep where you can see a clock. Nothing is worse than counting down the hours you have left to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Melatonin

20yrsinBranson

If the above things don't work or you need an extra boost YES melatonin is AWESOME!!! Make sure it doesn't interact with anything you are taking now. Talk to your doctor.

Another thing that has worked for me in the past is Calm Child. They have doses for adults. It helped me on numerous occasions Again, make sure the ingredients don't interact with anything you are taking now or any medical issues you may have. They are generally safe and have less side effects (if any at all) than OTC and perscribed meds. . . .

Planetary Herbals :: Calm Childâ„¢

Old 09-29-2009, 11:21 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,707,212 times
I'd say for both health and balance day and night, you need to learn how to quiet your mind.
You can apply a simple meditation technique as you lie in bed at night, sleepless.
For example, you simply watch / witness as your breath moves in and out (best to breathe through nose) and when you find yourself getting "carried away" or "caught up" in your thoughts, you simply bring your awareness back to your breath.
It's that simple and that difficult because we're all in the habit of allowing the mind to do whatever it wants and with little or no awareness that we can disallow this.
It's a process of discipline and growing awareness and it will become easier and the wisdom of such an approach will become more apparent over time.
Disciplining your mind is a choice and the more you realize that you have the choice the more you'll be able to exercise it and liberate yourself from this crazy "mind field" that keeps you awake at night and probably keeps you in a stressed-out, overdrive modality throughout your day.
It's difficult to unwind after a day of that kind of overstimulated living.
It's time to sleep but you're still in overdrive.
So you need to find ways to unwind, come out of that stress mode, out of the extreme beta brainwave state(s) (daytime, active, etc.) and into sleep time ... into the alpha, delta and theta brainwave states.
(Don't quote me on the science of brainwaves and sleep but i think i've got it roughly right.)
Also, simple things like avoiding all caffeine products after the late afternoon is important.
Eating long before bedtime is helpful.
You don't want to be digesting during sleep time.
Avoiding intense workouts too late in the evening ...
Drinking calming teas like chamomile ...
A relaxing bath (not too hot) before bed time is good.
Little things like that (to counter the over the over stimulated state your in) in conjunction with learning how to discipline your mind may help you with your insomnia and your life.
Good luck.
Not being able to sleep is such a drag.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,451,928 times
Great suggestions from everyone. I've used almost all of them.

What's helped me:
The bedroom is for sleeping.
Do not read, eat or drink in bed.
No TV in there, please!
Believe it or not, soft colors in bedding and draperies helps.
Make your bedroom into your sanctuary.
Use soft pink or yellow bulbs in the light fixtures.

Place the fan where you can see it. Tie some ribbons on it, so that if you do open your eyes, you can see something waving gently in the breeze.

I've taken Valerian but be forewarned. It's extremely bitter. Frankly, it's gawd-awful, so I dilute the tea a lot with water and honey. Chamomile is good but not strong enough for me.

Has anyone used those alarm clocks which emit a soft light and soft music or sounds? They start off very slowly and gradually light up the room. None of this jarring awake stuff. Instead, you are slowly brought back to a fully awake stage.

We've all been there, and it's a PITA. The more you can surround yourself with relaxing things, the better it will get. Much luck to you.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:21 PM

5,859 posts, read 11,878,342 times
I call it freight train brain, LOL. Mine started in my mid 30's and went all the way through my 40's. My doc told me it was probably hormonally induced. Great.

I'm not a fan of anything that makes me dopey the next day so I can't do the "PM" type drugs or unisom. I did take melatonin on occasion - but a very small dose. They sell it in 3 mg doses, but I found a 1 mg dose that was much better. The 3 mgs caused me to have horrid nightmares.

I also used valerian Root pills, but they are nasty! I found an herbal sleep aid in a pill (not capsule) with valerian and passion flower.

The thing that has helped me the most is I take my Calcium and Magnesium every night before going to be. Calcium has a calming effect and it's good to take a calcium supplement anyway. Don't underestimate the magnesium - you need it if you take calcium and I found it helped with my sleep tremendously.

The other suggestions are good. White noise is very helpful. Exercise (earlier in the day) also helps you get a restful sleep. I made a deal with myself - if I couldn't fall back asleep after a certain amount of time or I couldn't stop the brain from rehashing the S.O.S., I would get up and read a book, or even do housework. Sometimes the thought of mopping the floor at 3 AM actually sent me back to sleep!

The thing is, you have to figure out a way to deal with it rather than fighting it. Having a strategy to deal with it makes you feel more like you're in control and less like you're a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health