Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,884,682 times

Advertisements

I'm "assisting" a coworker (woman, 35 years-old) in her quitting smoking. We've started walking on the local bike path to get her to the point of a decent sweat and to raise her heart rate a little. We are to start jogging a month from now - until then, she'll reduce the amount of her smoking by a quarter each week and then go cold turkey.

My question: does aerobic exercise help in the physical reduction of the withdrawl symptems? If not, what other measures have you used to quell the "urge" to smoke after quitting? She would like to try quitting without chemical support (patch, gum, etc. - she is not on any drugs nor does she use alcohol.)

Any thoughts,

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,838,188 times
I quit smoking a little over 2 1/2 years ago. I quit cold turkey. I'll try to give you a few issues I had.

I had tried the gradual cutting back to quit but it didn't work very well for me so I smoked a lot before I quit, enough that the last thoughts i had of smoking wasn't feeling like I had been holding out for a smoke but that I really didn't want that taste any more because really if you smoke enough it feels disgusting even to a long term smoker. It helped my mind to see it as yuck instead of deprivation.

After that the other biggest issues I had were depression and hormone issues. My monthly times for a while were really wacky and PMS was intensified. This might not happen but if it did, she should know it can be overcome and to keep the quit!

I went on a couple cleaning sprees when I felt agitated. Running or biking or exercise are excellent for these times in the quit and yes exercise helps the body with the feel good chemicals.

When I felt like a cigarette I'd take a slow deep breath of clean air each time.

Oh and beware the quit gas because it is real!! I don't know how many quitters it happens to but I know a lot.

All we can do is make the decision and stick to it. For me things started improving at around 3 weeks and had hills and valleys until I just didn't care to smoke any more really.

Working up to quitting is scarier than the quit IMHO. I put it off far too long out of fear.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:25 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,149,490 times
QuitNet might give you some ideas. I quit in April with the help of nicotine patches. Chemicals? Yes, but not as many as I was getting via cigarettes. Six weeks and it (patch use) was over. They do help.

Drinking lots of water is supposed to help. And yes, exercise.

Some can quit without patches, gum, etc., but your chances of succeeding are greater with a little help. I think it's worth it.

Some states or places of employment might pay for the patches, etc. The State of Wyoming does -- now. They didn't when I was quitting.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:06 PM

212 posts, read 697,759 times
Congratulations to you all.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:45 PM

257 posts, read 1,012,346 times
lots of Hagen Daz vanilla ice cream helped me!!!
well, at least it was a reward! & I'm still carrying around those pounds after 12+ years!!! )

Old 10-02-2009, 07:13 PM

26,603 posts, read 26,498,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
All we can do is make the decision and stick to it.
And realize that your friend may try to quit a few times before she's actually successful. Yes, physical exercise helps a LOT. So does avoiding anything associated with smoking, e.g. coffee, talking on the phone, etc, for while. Have her put the $ she saves by not buying cigarettes in a jar. Tell her to take deep breaths through a straw. She can do it. (And you're a good friend for helping her.)

Old 10-03-2009, 01:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,180,016 times
I used this timeline as part of the mental thing in quitting: 3 days smoke/nic free to clear out the system and 8 weeks to reset the brain.

Exercise will help the brain dose out what the ciggs did, so it can help. Also taking a vitamin with a B complex will help too.

Good Luck!

Old 10-04-2009, 07:19 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,214,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
QuitNet might give you some ideas. I quit in April with the help of nicotine patches. Chemicals? Yes, but not as many as I was getting via cigarettes. Six weeks and it (patch use) was over. They do help.

Drinking lots of water is supposed to help. And yes, exercise.

Some can quit without patches, gum, etc., but your chances of succeeding are greater with a little help. I think it's worth it.

Some states or places of employment might pay for the patches, etc. The State of Wyoming does -- now. They didn't when I was quitting.
I agree on this...quitnet.com....I quit almost a year ago now and they still send me updates and it just makes a person feel good. They also have some great ideas on quitting. You aren't alone there! I also used the patch for about a month and it did help. Like you Wyo, I felt the patch for a month was worth those chemicals to finally get rid of the cigarettes. The lesser of two evils I guess. Probably one of the biggest helps was a thread I had here on C-D in the Foods section. The thread was actually about dinner ideas but many of the regular posters were very caring. So many of the posters there were so supportive. If I started to feel down or weak they were right there to support me. I would have felt horrible to let them down so yes, they were a big part of my being able to stay away from cigarettes. I still crave them but when I do I try to get busy--taking a walk or doing something around the house. The feeling passes much fater now but they still happen. I am looking forward to the day I no longer even think about a cigarette.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,809 times
It's no good to smoke, maybe shift your interests to other things will be a way to quite smoking.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:58 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,366,441 times
I answered a similar thread some time ago but I'll repeat what helped me quit cold turkey 11 plus years ago. Actually, I just realized it will be 12 years on Tuesday.

1. I took a McDonald's straw and cut it to the length of a cigarette. It had the right weight and feel of a real cigarette and when I was really craving one I would use it like a cigarette and inhale air. It seemed to help even if it looked funny.

2. Instead of trying not to think about smoking (which is about impossible when you are quitting) whenever the thought would come up I would use it as a chance to reinforce my will power by saying to myself "I am proud of myself for quitting smoking. I like being a non-smoker."

3. Before she quits have her make a list of reasons why she wants to. Once you quit it is hard to remember the reasons why and she can refer to the list when that happens.

Good luck!

Last edited by Sandhillian; 10-04-2009 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health