Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wow, that's pretty scary. It's also pretty unusual.

Don't worry, no one would ask you to take ONE pill. That would do no more good than one blood pressure pill would for someone with HBP.

The science behind the SSRIs is logical and sound, but it's not 100% exact, obviously.
no, unfortunately it is not unusual. There are a lot of horror stories about SSRI drugs; hence all the lawsuits being filed. Nope-not unusual at all.
Scary thing is the amount of them being handed out and the misinformation being provided by the doctors handing them out like candy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
no, unfortunately it is not unusual. There are a lot of horror stories about SSRI drugs; hence all the lawsuits being filed. Nope-not unusual at all.
Scary thing is the amount of them being handed out and the misinformation being provided by the doctors handing them out like candy.
Index to SSRI Stories

It's tragic how these drugs can affect people's lives.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:43 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I agree--they are overprescribed. However, they've made a life-changing difference for many people, and we should not throw out the baby with the bath water.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Does anyone know anything about St. John's Wort?

BTW, tonight I am strongly considering drinking warm milk.
But what if you are lactose intolerant?

St. John's Wort has apparently been used with success for mild depression in Europe for a long time. I have no experience with it nor do I know anyone who has.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Index to SSRI Stories

It's tragic how these drugs can affect people's lives.
I was one of the "last of the Luvoxians." If you Google Luvox you usually pull up Eric Harris of Columbine infamy. Unfortunately, it's stories like that that can prevent people from getting the help they need.

It was absolutely amazing to me what the Luvox did. I was in my forties, and for the first time since my early childhood I found out what it was like to wake up without my first thought being "I might die today." and then proceeding to say the requisite prayers, etc., to prevent it. It was a miracle to be able to think clearly without having to do this or that to prevent bad things from happening. Fortunately, I no longer need it as therapy has helped me learn to put the running trains of unwanted thought into the background. Without the Luvox, I would not have known this was even possible.

Of course, the Luvox probably had very little to do with Eric Harris's behavior, but in Internet World it's forever tied to him. It also isn't the best SSRI on the market anyway, which is why it's rarely prescribed--in Europe, it preceeded Prozac by years--because the dosage often has to be split so that you need to take it twice day.

All SSRI's can have an effect on the CNS. I remember lying on my bed watching my toes moving all by themselves.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Oddly, eating lettuce late at night may help you get some sleep. St. John's wort has the same active ingredient as a major anti-depressant, so hold off on that for now, until some stuff has been checked out.

One KEY fact that the other posters have left out is that you NEVER want depression put down on your medical charts - EVER. It will almost guarantee you will get dropped from insurance, won't be able to get insurance, or will have to pay huge premiums if you do get insurance. For insurance company approval, that diagnosis is the kiss of death.

Get your thyroid checked - T3 and T4 levels, the full workup. Low dose thyroid medication can really make a difference. Also, make sure you are getting enough sun and vitamin D. This is the time of year many people start getting Seasonal Affective Disorder from lack of light, which has depressionlike symptoms but is not the clinical depression you want to avoid getting labeled with. If you are drinking alcohol, stop. Take B vitamins to reverse the effects of the drinking.

Almost any of the anti-depressants can make you miserable on their own from constipation, so strongly consider therapy first. When asking about it, you are seeking therapy for a "transient high stress situation that is affecting your performance" NOT for depression. What goes on in the sessions is nobody elses dam business, and a lot of depression does actually come down to unresolved relationship issues or personal growth issues that gets mislabeled as depression.
The bolded is excellent advice. Always get a medical checkup before you see a therapist or pdoc. The thyroid connection came about after people were checked into psych hospitals for severe depression and during the course of routine medical checkups, found out that they had hypothyroidism. After some time on corrective thyroid meds, the depression lifted.

And yes, everyone should get a little exposure to sunlight every day, even in winter. Your whole body can go into a depression from lack of light.

Not so sure about the dangers of depression diagnosis on your record--that might be a regional problem. It's not considered shameful or unusual to seek professional help for your mental health in this part of the country, nor should it ever be, anywhere.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:30 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
Agree with others on getting your thyroid checked also, .. just requires giving blood for testing.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:57 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I drank the warm milk last night. It worked. I got a decent amount a sleep last night and I am rested today. I feel a bit week, but better rested. I just wonder if I need insurance to get a blood test.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 AM

429 posts, read 684,787 times
I too have those problems. I know from Experience It is depression.I have been on meds before also but as they are often costly which would just make my situation worse......hang in there and talk to a friend or pastor ....sometimes we all just need a kind heart when we are feeling down....

Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshfield mom View Post
I too have those problems. I know from Experience It is depression.I have been on meds before also but as they are often costly which would just make my situation worse......hang in there and talk to a friend or pastor ....sometimes we all just need a kind heart when we are feeling down....
I could definitely use a friend or someone to talk to right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health