Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:06 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times

Advertisements

Caffiene, like alcohol, is healthy in low or moderate amounts.

My advice in this thread goes out to people who are really addicted to it. People like me, who used to drink coffee about 4 times per day and needed it just to wake up in the morning.

If you are a person who just enjoys coffee, go ahead and enjoy. But for some people it turns into a strong addiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 02:13 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Well, congtrats--I guess--on kicking your caffeine jones. But there are two points I just have to make. One--caffeine has NEVER been proven to be harmful, and in fact is beneficial in several physiological aspects, including lowering LDH, increasing meatbolism--thus burning fat--and increasing mental alertness. Too, coffee and tea both provide anti-oxidants which are great for killing off those pesky free radicals, which are the primary movers and shakers in our bodie's aging process!
Also, why did you feel it necessary to start drinking huge amounts of black tea, only to taper off from it? You could have just skipped that step altogether and began tapering your coffee intake and replacing it with green tea, which is better for you anyway. Also, caffeine is caffeine, no matter the form, and the caffeine in black teas is no better than the caffeine in coffee. Thus your methadone analogy is inaccurate.
As a personal trainer with several nutrition certs, I'm around alot of people drinking Energy Drinks, so I'll close with a word on them: In moderation they are fine, and people tend to overrate the amount of caffeine in them, which is usually merely equal to an 8-oz cup of joe. There IS, however, a ton of sugar in those bad boys--sometimes as much as 70 grams in a 16-oz can, which pretty much gives you your entire RDA of sugar for a whole day! Thus, I recommend the sugar free energy drinks. They're a good source of 'B' and 'C' vitamins and other stuff like Guarana and Taurine, which are healthy stamina boosters--better than straight sugar, anyway!
American style energy drinks are garbage. They throw just about everything they can think of into lots of them and the FDA barely regulates it. It's just a complete overdose of sugar, caffiene and other chemicals. It's just unnecessary. They are cheap, cheap drinks.

American energy drinks remind me of Folger's coffee in the 70s. Just total garbage, but everyone in America is drinking it anyway, not realizing that there is a better way.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:12 AM

315 posts, read 776,504 times
This sounds bad, but I have always found the best time to quit drinking coffee is when you have the flu. You are feeling so crappy, it masks out any caffeine withdrawls and lasts about 7-10 days. By the time the flu is gone, so is the craving for coffee. You are not going to crave your coffee when you are burning up with 104 degree temp and trying to breathe, nor is it wise to cosume caffeine when you this sick anyhow. The only problem is most of us resume our habit rather quickly.

I just went through the swine flu and was a 4-6 cup a day coffee drinker. I have not resumed my coffee drinking post the flu, so far so good.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:19 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
One--caffeine has NEVER been proven to be harmful, and in fact is beneficial in several physiological aspects, including lowering LDH, increasing meatbolism--thus burning fat--and increasing mental alertness.
Caffeine Is Linked To Miscarriage Risk, New Study Shows

Seems harmful to me.

I also didn't like being addicted to a drug, where if I neglected to have my morning cup of coffee, I would have a truly debilitating migraine by 7pm, to the point where I needed to lie down to prevent nausea, in a dark room.

My husband quit, and long story short, once he quit, even if he had the tiniest bit of caffeine (a single regular soda) he would get heart palpitations to the point where he would have to pull off the road if he was driving, and his vision would get blurry.

Looking back, I can easily say that caffeine was the cause of my poor sleeping habits (my mind would always wake up several times in the night), leading me to be tired in the morning, needing caffeine, and the cycle went on. It would never truly wake me up.. I just needed to drink it to make sure I wasn't dead on my feet. I'm never in that position anymore, thankfully. If I want my antioxidants, I drink decaf.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Caffeine Is Linked To Miscarriage Risk, New Study Shows

Seems harmful to me.

I also didn't like being addicted to a drug, where if I neglected to have my morning cup of coffee, I would have a truly debilitating migraine by 7pm, to the point where I needed to lie down to prevent nausea, in a dark room.

My husband quit, and long story short, once he quit, even if he had the tiniest bit of caffeine (a single regular soda) he would get heart palpitations to the point where he would have to pull off the road if he was driving, and his vision would get blurry.

Looking back, I can easily say that caffeine was the cause of my poor sleeping habits (my mind would always wake up several times in the night), leading me to be tired in the morning, needing caffeine, and the cycle went on. It would never truly wake me up.. I just needed to drink it to make sure I wasn't dead on my feet. I'm never in that position anymore, thankfully. If I want my antioxidants, I drink decaf.
If your husband is having palpitations that are leading into things like blurry vision and light headed symptoms, he likely has a heart condition. A few sips of caffeine should not have this affect. He should have it checked out soon.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:58 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
If your husband is having palpitations that are leading into things like blurry vision and light headed symptoms, he likely has a heart condition. A few sips of caffeine should not have this affect. He should have it checked out soon.
The heart palpitations only occurred when he would drink caffeine (unknowingly, he thought he was having decaf tea, turned out it wasn't). This went on for 3 months, two years ago. He wore a heart monitor (and he was 26 at the time, with no previous problems, family history), baffled the doctor. The blurry vision wasn't a result of the palpitations - it was just another thing that happened, he thought it was the CRT monitor he used at work, was getting a prescription for glasses of all things... then he realized what happened with the tea. Stopped drinking it, went through another, though briefer, withdrawal, and he's been perfectly fine every since.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:13 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,707 times
I am not addicted to caffeine that's just a lie look I don't smoke or drink or do any drugs I just like to have some coke zeroes and some tea maybe some coffee every now and then it's not a HABIT
I don't know what you're talking about I get up and go to work and function just like everybody else I'm not addicted
YOU'RE addicted don't preach at me I don't even drive fast and I wear my seatbelt all the time see I am safe and caffeine doesn't criticize me or make me feel stupid so just BACK OFF my coke zeroes okay its perfectly healthy I gotta go.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:22 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
It took my husband two weeks actually, and me around five days. It was pretty horrible, but no regrets.
Huh, well I've done it many times...and it's always pretty quick. Headaches and tired for a couple days, then fine. Maybe I'm just weird.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
A cup of coffee in front of the fire on a winter's day is one of my great pleasures in life. Maybe we ouught to offer Golden Bear condolences instead of congrats on quitting coffee?
I guess he didn't want to tarnish his "perfect smile."
LOL.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
A cup of coffee in front of the fire on a winter's day is one of my great pleasures in life. Maybe we ouught to offer Golden Bear condolences instead of congrats on quitting coffee?
I guess he didn't want to tarnish his "perfect smile."
LOL.
I agree! I think 1-3 cups per day is okay. It is one of the simple things in life, of which I enjoy most of all. I also spent $1200 a few years ago on an Italian espresso machine and it's the greatest thing since slided bread.

It's just like anything else. If you let it get out of hand, it can and will. Moderation people! Just like with anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health