Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:23 PM

768 posts, read 942,486 times

Advertisements

I know functioning alcoholics who have no kids and get by. None of my business. I wouldn't classify them as either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 06:24 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I can...I'm addicted to caffeine...oooohh coffee..soda..pms pills oh my!
Okay, I'll come out the closet, I'm a binge coffee drinker.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:26 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Have you every seen the babies and children of the ones who do reproduce?

Some spend the first two years of birth in and out of hospitals, there
developmentally disadvantaged.

The ones that make it, are in foster care, or raised by a relative.

Can these ppl be cured, maybe medical science will find something one day.
Methadones helped a lot of them, but that has to be maintained everyday as well.

The best answer for now, starts with youth education.

I know, and it's a tragedy. We cannot very well go mandating birth control or sterilization for people, however, right? It's sad all the way around.

I think addicts should actually be given something beyond antidepressants - something like a methodone for drinkers. I've never understood why heroin addicts get methadone and alcoholics get nothing. Does not compute in my brain. I agree with you about the youth education.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

OP, other people's lives are none of your business.

Put on blinkers (figuratively of course), and mentally/perceptually screen out others' actions/deeds.
Easier said than done. I've already intervened on two other occasions via the authorities. One time was warranted as he fell and was bleeding. The other time he threatened to off himself and I had no choice but to call the police. Of course, the police go there and he tells them of course he was not serious. Grrr...

I know by intervening I CAN change things. That's what makes it hard.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Okay, I'll come out the closet, I'm a binge coffee drinker.
I know right who has time for sleep...yet our bodies crave it...solution caffeine!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:34 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I think rehab is a racket. Where else can you go spend THOUSANDS of dollars on a 1930s version style "cure" for your addiction? Seriously. If medical conditions were treated with 1930s style "stuff," I'd be dead right now. It's no wonder people cannot straighten up their lives. There just aren't the resources out there to help them. It is very frustrating. It just makes me wonder if science and the medical community haven't just written off addicts as the scourge of the earth who should not reproduce and pass their genetics on.

Anyway, sorry. Just a little rant there. I can certainly understand why you had to distance yourself and cut things off. You did the right thing.
It's all good. Rant away. I have to say I know nothing about these rehab facilities and how they operate save for what I've seen in a few documentaries. I always thought it was probably much easier for the addict to stay sober if they were mountain climbing and participating in whatever sessions go on at these places but once they get back home and that support system is gone it's probably pretty easy to fall back into old ways.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:29 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
I really hate the term alcoholic. It brings to peoples' minds a man (mostly) falling all over, barely able to stand, wearing dirty rags. Actually the OP's friend is probably closer to the reality of people who are chronic abusers of alcohol. Consider this phrase: In trouble with alcohol (Willoughby). What that means is that someone who abuses alcohol will find him/herself "in trouble" in a number of ways: socially (as our OP can attest), financially (including the "rehab" programs, but often job-wise), cognitively (brain cells ARE killed), physically (cirrhosis, pancreatic cancer, malnutrition), and legally.

I have been involved with substance abusers for a number of years - alcohol is one of the worst to deal with for a number of reasons: it's a legal substance, it's use is pervasive, but it's deadly - moreso than many other drugs. Alcohol withdrawal/detox IS a life-threatening issue and should not be done outside of a medical setting. Heroin withdrawal will not kill you. Some people become addicted to alcohol the first time - it has to do with brain chemistry - other people become habitual users before becoming addicted.

Quote:
His problem is he has gotten away with too much stuff. He had one DUI in another state that did not show up in his state of residence. He goes to the hospital and they fix him up. He just hasn't had the consequences.

Because of his age, in part, he also gets away with this stuff. He's an older gentleman who always dresses nicely and is very cordial. IOW, he doesn't "look like" an alcoholic. Sigh.
Quote:
I see a little detox visit to the ER in his immediate future.

The best you can do for your friend is to contact his wife, tell her your suspicions and then when/if he does contact you, tell him your feelings - and that you will no longer sit around and enable him.

I had a woman in my group, she was a therapist with an MS in social work. She had been 15 years sober when her father died and she had "just a sip". She wound up back doing binges, got sober again, went on antabuse - for those who don't know, it is a drug that can cause a heart-attack when mixed with alcohol in any form (nail polish, vanilla in cooking). She couldn't stay sober without the threat. She eventually drank while taking the antabuse - and had a heart-attack.

I hope your friend does better.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I really hate the term alcoholic. It brings to peoples' minds a man (mostly) falling all over, barely able to stand, wearing dirty rags. Actually the OP's friend is probably closer to the reality of people who are chronic abusers of alcohol. Consider this phrase: In trouble with alcohol (Willoughby). What that means is that someone who abuses alcohol will find him/herself "in trouble" in a number of ways: socially (as our OP can attest), financially (including the "rehab" programs, but often job-wise), cognitively (brain cells ARE killed), physically (cirrhosis, pancreatic cancer, malnutrition), and legally.
You are correct on all counts.

Quote:
I have been involved with substance abusers for a number of years - alcohol is one of the worst to deal with for a number of reasons: it's a legal substance, it's use is pervasive, but it's deadly - moreso than many other drugs. Alcohol withdrawal/detox IS a life-threatening issue and should not be done outside of a medical setting. Heroin withdrawal will not kill you. Some people become addicted to alcohol the first time - it has to do with brain chemistry - other people become habitual users before becoming addicted.
Again, correct on all counts.

Quote:
The best you can do for your friend is to contact his wife, tell her your suspicions and then when/if he does contact you, tell him your feelings - and that you will no longer sit around and enable him.
I will wait until tomorrow morning. It's on him to make it through the night. I will do what I can do for him tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
you are close but not on spot.
they are sick and numb

Old 11-21-2009, 08:24 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
In my opinion they are probably both...selfish and ill...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health