Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times

Advertisements

With the new year coming up, it's a time when many people quit (or try) smoking. For those of you who have quit smoking, did you do it with no smoking cessation aids, or did you use wellbutrin, gum, patches, lozengers, e cigs, or any other aids? Also, if you have quit, can you tell those of us who want to quit anything that helped you when the cravings were about to drive you mad? Did anything you read help you, or reading any forums? Did you do anything in particular when you wanted to eat instead of smoke?

I'm wanting to quit smoking and can use all the help I can get. I wake up with a headache every single day. I know its from smoking. Plenty of people have told me they did too, until they quit. I got The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr from the library today. I know a lot of people could benefit from your advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:02 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
First stop smoking what you are smoking now to weaken the cycle. Switch to a pipe or cigars since I'd bet that you are smoking cigarettes.

Then as you start to wean off cigarettes stop drinking any coffee, or cola's, since the caffeine is a kissing cousin of nicotine.

Then eat as many raw veggies as you want to fill in some of the cravings while you ramp down off the pipe or cigars. Menthol (Halls) cough drops help too since the menthol fills in for that first few seconds of craving to help break the cycle.

Finally, carry a tooth brush/paste with you EVERYWHERE. When that urge hits you go brush your teeth to take the flavor of tobacco that is now bleeding out of your mouth tissues away.

Last but not least...........STAY AWAY FROM ANYONE OR PLACE THAT EXPOSES YOU TO CIGARETTES!!

Good luck, mate.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I smoked from age 13 -28 between cough,Readers Digest and when I worked part time for package store delivering booze there was this man with half his jaw removed and part of tongue and trying to smoke thru a stoma made me quit.It took 2 times.This was way back since I am now 76.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:21 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Tried to quit twice on my own, third time I went through a smoking cessation program sponsored by the American Lung Association. Learned meditation, deep breathing, group support, behavior modification..this was 13 years ago, so it stuck...hard, yes! Impossible? Nope.

Some things that help:

-Exercise, walk or join a gym, do aerobic things like treadmills, bikes
-Drink lots of water and diluted fruit juices to help clear the toxins from your body
-Whenever a really strong urge hit me, I'd suck on a Tootsie Roll Pop--helped with the oral fixation and gave me something to do with my hands
-Avoided hanging out with friends/relatives who still smoked
-Kept a journal of what I was feeling as I went through the process--some strange feelings emerged for me--feeling abandoned, frightened, sad, writing it out helped
-Ate comfort foods as needed--mashed potatoes, soup, hot tea, chocolate
-Praised myself each night for not smoking that day
-Cried
-Partnered with a member of my smoking cessation group to talk one another through the hardest bits

Old 12-16-2009, 09:41 PM

511 posts, read 2,198,947 times
I was able to quit just like that- when I was ready. Every once in a while I would say I was going to quit, or cut back, but the problem was I never really truly wanted to. I didn't mean it. The one day I just decided I was done, so I didn't smoke anymore. I was still around people who smoked, but it didn't bother me, I was just done.
It goes differently for everyone. The above suggestions are great. Find what works for you, personally. My suggestion is just cold turkey, but I understand for a lot of people it's not that simple.
Good luck & stay strong. And welcome to a healthier life!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:37 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
I think there is a 'right' time to quit smoking - when it is easier than other times. Like you have just had enough of it and now your body wants you to quit too.
Easier said than done if it is not the right time, I agree.

Smoking often relies on emotional issues behind the scenes. Issues that are tied to the feeling of need for a cigarette and one thing that can help with that is something called EFT it is DIY, free and the manual is comprehensive. It takes about 15 minutes to learn and 2 or 3 minutes to do each time you need to. EFT Home - World Center for EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques)

I have no affiliation to them at all, just that I have studied it and I think it works well. There are therapists who may offer a first-session-free if you want to try it that way. Also good for fears and phobias too.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:04 PM

105 posts, read 357,412 times
I quit last February. The worst part was the first two weeks - first the withdrawal, which caused me to get edgy and rather emotional....But, once through that, it hasn't been bad and I am so very glad I quit!

In the beginning, I searched the net and read everything I could. It was really helpful to read what to expect and how to deal with it; what smoking is really doing to the body (yuck), and what the health benefits are and when. I read something every time I was having difficulty. That really helped me stay focused.

The things that I really notice (to this day):
enhanced senses. After a few weeks, you really SMELL things (especially smoke...it chokes you!)...and eventually, you realize that you can truly TASTE again (you may not know you were missing anything, but cigs really dull your senses).
I can take deep breathes and feel the difference;
I get a heck of a lot more done;
I have more energy in general.
I smell good
AND I have over $1600 saved for something special.
-I set up a savings account immediately...it's awesome to realize all the money used to go 'up in smoke'

Best of luck to you...it's not easy, but it is worth it!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:20 PM

507 posts, read 2,295,989 times
I layed them down cold turkey 1 year and 8 months ago when my dear SIl was diagnosed with lung cancer. I told myself that I wanted to be around for my son and didn't want to have to go through what she had went through. She is still alive now, but with complications from the radiation that was shot to her brain as a preventative measure, now its like she has alzheimers and is in a nursing home at the age of 64.
You have to be ready to quit and set your mind to it and you can do it! My husband still smokes and I cannot hardly stand to be around it now. I didn't realize just how bad they make you smell!
...and the poisons that are in the tobacco like rat poison, formaldehide etc...its no wonder that so many people are dying from lung and throat cancer! Its the added poisons in the tobacco.
I wish you the best of luck, you can do it. Its just mind over matter!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:22 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
the alan carr books are wonderful and many people say it is what helped them to quit. I used patches and I know it got me past the hard part. do not allow yourself to think like a junkie, that is your addiction talking. it is hard but not impossible to quit. I can suggest a few forums if you pm me that are great support. go for it, it will be the best thing you ever do for yourself

Old 12-17-2009, 06:29 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
I'm pretty fortunate. I've always gone through phases where I'd smoke and just stop. The last run I had lasted 3 years. Again, I quit cold turkey. The only time I get the urge now is when I drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health