Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:03 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times

Advertisements

Anti-vaccine crowd's quiver drained, yet Wakefield will still have a following.

Retracted autism study an 'elaborate fraud,' British journal finds - CNN.com

Journal: Study linking vaccine to autism was fraud - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110106/ap_on_he_me/eu_med_autism_fraud - broken link)

Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Anti-vaccine crowd's quiver drained, yet Wakefield will still have a following.

Retracted autism study an 'elaborate fraud,' British journal finds - CNN.com

Journal: Study linking vaccine to autism was fraud - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110106/ap_on_he_me/eu_med_autism_fraud - broken link)
Not a big shocker, in Missouri a couple years back the trial lawyers hired a guy to do a "study" on malpractice rates because there was pressure for tort reform in the state due to high insurance costs. The guy did a complete hack-job on the analysis to *show* the results they wanted and it was utter garbage and thoroughly discredited.

Reminds me of the scientists hired by the tobacco companies all those years ago.

However, there are so many people emotionally invested that they will disregard the fact that he hid his nearly 700,000 payment. This is a HUGE no no of non-disclosure and should be a HUGE red flag to anyone stopping to think.

I mean, if some guy comes out tomorrow and says coca-cola causes cancer based upon their findings and then you later find out pepsi paid the scientist a million to perform the study.....LMAO....you've been had.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:44 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,142 times
This has been known for years, but there are still parents who refuse to vacinate their children because they are convinced it causes autism.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:11 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
This has been known for years, but there are still parents who refuse to vacinate their children because they are convinced it causes autism.
The results speak for themselves: Study after study found no link between the vaccine and autism.

Yet dingbats like Jenny McCarthy run around spreading conspiracy theories based on a study that not only has now been proven fraudulent, but never had anything remotely like a significant sample size to begin with!

Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
The results speak for themselves: Study after study found no link between the vaccine and autism.

Yet dingbats like Jenny McCarthy run around spreading conspiracy theories based on a study that not only has now been proven fraudulent, but never had anything remotely like a significant sample size to begin with!

I believe she claims she has a cure for autism now as well. So she knows the cause and the cure. She is truely amazing.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:23 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
In fairness, I think she has retracted her position on the matter and her son may have possibly been misdiagnosed from the start. I don't hold her very responsible because if you make major medical decisions based upon the fact the person is famous for being good looking you've rather made your own bed.

If I find a strange growth on my arm I'm not going to try to meet Brad Pitt for a consultation.

I will say that i find it *highly* offensive that some of the autism extremists have gone so far as to basically indict huge portions of the medical community of intentionally damaging kids because of financial concerns....based upon a study prompted for financial reasons. Then they take no responsibility for the deaths due to lack of vaccination. The whole corporate conspiracy stuff is wearing thin when study after independant study refuted the autism link and now you find out it was BS to begin with and they STILL are so invested in the lie that they won't give an inch.

They'd rather keep killing kids with preventable diseases and avoid a real search for causes of autism than admit they are human.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If I find a strange growth on my arm I'm not going to try to meet Brad Pitt for a consultation.

LOL.. sorry that made me laugh for about 5 minutes.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:19 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I will say that i find it *highly* offensive that some of the autism extremists have gone so far as to basically indict huge portions of the medical community of intentionally damaging kids because of financial concerns....based upon a study prompted for financial reasons. Then they take no responsibility for the deaths due to lack of vaccination. The whole corporate conspiracy stuff is wearing thin when study after independant study refuted the autism link and now you find out it was BS to begin with and they STILL are so invested in the lie that they won't give an inch.
I think a big problem is also that there are a lot of parents out there who really want there to be a link between vaccines and autism. Psychologically, it feels a lot better to have someone to blame. And I don't necessarily think the people who are victims of this are dumb or deluded. I think they are going through a really stressful thing that will effect the rest of their lives, and they have heard something they really really want to believe.

I had an interesting conversation once with someone who believes her child's autism was caused by vaccination. According to her, she knows the vaccination caused autism because her child starting having autism symptoms the day after the vaccination. (I know this complaint happens a lot, though probably quite a bit of it is due to recall bias, as in, the symptoms where there before, but were not "noticed" until the vaccinations. Basically, symptoms are noticed when we want to start noticing them.) No amount of "evidence" that the link doesn't exist or suggesting that the vaccination could have triggered the autism that was already there (It can be triggered by stressful events, and vaccination is stressful for the body.) was interesting to her. She would not tolerate being told she could be wrong. She really flipped out about it, actually, and yelled, "I SAW it happen, so YOU CAN'T TELL ME OTHERWISE!"

It is a very traumatic thing to go through. That said, I advocate compassion, but not stupidity. It is completely pointless that we are currently having major upswings in the incidence of both measles and pertussis in their country because people have arbitrarily decided vaccines are giving children autism. I think people going through this should be understood, not legislated for. It is a huge public health issue.

But I would say the financial reasons for misconception are greatly exaccerbated by the people who are very emotionally invested as well.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,381 times
This whole vaccine nonsense is why we are seeing an increase in preventable diseases like Pertussis. The causes of Autism could better be attributed to the oil-production by-products being pumped into the ground water. Or preservatives and dyes in foods. Or pesticides. Or antibiotics and hormones used in meat and milk production. Or... on and on and on. Or, maybe it's a genetic anomally. Until more research is done, coo-coo's nests like Jenny McFarty need to shut it.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
There are high rates of autism in Utah and many believe it is due to the genetic make-up of the original ppopulation. Many are descended from polygamous families with little genetic variation; you have to do in-depth study to see if you are marrying your 3rd cousin twice removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health