Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:13 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times

Advertisements

This is a real issue - mental health. And one thing that really angers me is why so many people pooh pooh this off.

Myself- damn I suffer from Generalized Anxiety disorder- as well as panic attacks and also obsessive compulsive disorder. And believe me these days all the worse seems to be kicking in.

Yes- I am borderline disabled. And even though on medication- it is still there- so 'masked' to a certain degree. I feel for all those suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 01:19 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times
I have only very recently realized that I am a little depressed. My husband and I have been having some issues but I think that may just be a small part of it. So today I decided to do some research and am find out exactly what people are saying here. Get more exercise, change my diet, and get out of the house and get some sun.

We are temporarily living in North Georgia instead of florida where we were and that's a huge part of it. Plus, we only have one car so it takes more motivation to get out of the house and walk up all these huge hills around here. But the weather is really pretty though so that helps. Plus we have a 7 month old so there might be alittle postpartum, who knows. I'm just alittle blue though, no thoughts of ending things.

Does St johns wort actually work for anyone?

Old 05-25-2007, 02:42 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
No I tried that. St Johns does nothing. To top it off I jhave insomnia and get 2 hrs of sleep. (fall asleep at 4 AM- need to get to worrk at 8). Not a good experience as I feel like h *ll.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:06 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
The most important thing of all is to get the proper diagnoses.
One can be depressed, can be manic depressive (bi polar) have some type of anxiety disorder or even a combo of all!

Medications can help as I alluded to earlier- but you will still have periods where you do not feel well. Some people go off the meds and have a 'meltdown'. Even on the meds I have difficult periods- but I think the difference is, I am able to stabilize more easily and balance things out better.

Its not easy, its frustrating. And it really sucks- some people are gifted in the fact they are balanced mentally- while many of us because of genes and environmental factors or both are not gifted and chemically balanced in the attic.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:48 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,635 times
Default Forest or chocolate

A walk in the forest with no restrictions on when you have to get back usually works for me- hopefully for you too.
(But the last hurricane took most of my forest, so now I get depressed only thinking about going into the forest...)
Chocolate. That's something they can never take away from you!

Old 05-27-2007, 04:32 PM

83 posts, read 733,970 times
I have read that Omega 3 is very good for treating depression, and is often used in conjunction with meds for bipolar disorder, as well. It's so good for you anyway - it would definitely be worth a try. The supplements are very inexpensive at Costco.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:47 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,991 times
So sorry to hear you're dealing with this, but just try to think of it as a way to get to where you'll be more optimally healthy and happy...Sending you a big hug and lots of love...And kudos for asking for help here too

Let's see...what's worked for me...

Hugs and love
Unconditional love and acceptance of myself (I'm a work in progress though)
Exercise
Sunlight
Raw vegan diet
Regular massage and bodywork (activating the parasympathetic nervous sytem or relaxation response helps to regulate hormones, so if you do this and relax and meditate on a regular basis, it can really help)
Counseling and support from others
The Bach Flower Essences (they carry them at your health food store...)
Affirmations
Having fun
Honoring my creative side and inner child
Listening to music
Honoring yourself for who you are where you are right NOW

Much love and hugs,
L

Old 05-28-2007, 12:47 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,220 times
I have found that taking Vitamin B12 makes a big difference. Whenever I slip into a funk that turns to depression I start taking 1000 - 2000 mcg of Vitamin B12 and I notice I begin feeling better in a few days. I don't know why but it works.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:21 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
I am taking Omega 3 which helps a little (physical symptoms) but the moods are more difficult- as well as the insomnia. Thanks God- dr appt in a week.

I watched 'Prozac Nation' last night and it was dead-on- (a bit exaggerated) but the parts where she is alienated, and has alot of issues she gets overwhelmed- that is what depression is- you cant just snap out of it. Skytrekker thanks for your posts and I agree with you.

sunny

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 05-28-2007 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-29-2007, 08:40 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,220 times
Vitamin B12 definitely helps with mood. I have found that within a few days of taking it again (once I'm better I end up forgetting to take it and eventually stop altogether until my next bout of depression) I feel like I have more energy and my mood starts to lift. It's like the darkness starts to fall away and I feel myself come back into the light. Give it a try and see if it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health