Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
That's the problem.... the thought never ends, sometimes it even goes in circles. Even if it doesn't go in circles, the conclusions are less than satisfying. Let me ask you then, what conclusions have you come across?
Here's the thought I've come across...

self-absorbed people are boring, unappealing, and usually a bit neurotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM

297 posts, read 899,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Here's the thought I've come across...

self-absorbed people are boring, unappealing, and usually a bit neurotic.

when I refer to the meaning of life, I mean the meaning of any particular individual or society, not myself. Thinking deeply about this issue is an honest question, not a narcissitic trait.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:20 PM

174 posts, read 230,381 times
Quote:
What do you do, and how often do you feel this way? what normally makes you feel this way? (when, why, etc)
I tell myself that "life is short" but this isn't much of a consolation either, knowing that I don't really believe in an afterlife.

I've noticed also that deep, philosophical thinking in this manner does not lead to any answers
Or has it for someone on CD forum...
Don't over-think nor over-analyze. It does make it worse.

I try to surround myself with happy people and keep myself busy.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I have come to the conclusion that people who spend too much time in their own head just make themselves crazy. I know I do.

When I'm feeling down or lost I do a couple different things; get together with a friend and have a biatch session, go out and do something fun, visit my family, or find a diversion I can temporarily get lost in like a good book or some DVDs. Anything to get my mind off of ME.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
when I refer to the meaning of life, I mean the meaning of any particular individual or society, not myself. Thinking deeply about this issue is an honest question, not a narcissitic trait.
You asked what to do when you are depressed and life seems meaningless - my answer means to go forward and GIVE LIFE MEANING by taking some action, not wasting your time getting more down about the things you think about.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,141 times
take up a new hobby
go somewhere fun
treat yourself to something
smoke a bowl
pet a puppy

Old 01-18-2010, 06:34 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
What do you do, and how often do you feel this way? what normally makes you feel this way? (when, why, etc)
I tell myself that "life is short" but this isn't much of a consolation either, knowing that I don't really believe in an afterlife.

I've noticed also that deep, philosophical thinking in this manner does not lead to any answers
Or has it for someone on CD forum...
Any or all of the following:

1 Go for a drive in the M, or a ride on a bike.
2 Hit the gym for a fierce workout.
3 Go for a hike, this can be combined with #1 if needed.
4 Go hunting or fishing, if something is in season.
5 Read something about WWII, for example The Forgotten Soldier, this puts my annoyances in perspective against real problems.
6 Spend some quality time in the Garage Mahal, there is always something useful to do.
7 Cut or split some firewood.
8 Read any classic literature, particularly something in the original Russian, like Master and Margarita.
9 Pay some attention to my cats. Clearly they do not think I am worthless.
10 Do some farm work, even with only 13 acres of pasture, there is always something useful to do.

You get the idea.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:41 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
I find myself in the same boat. I know that I can't change the influences around me, either, so no advice there, but I will tell you that you can, literally, feel better -- and this actually works:

Do a google for "Buried Treasure vm-100 Liquid Vitamin." I'd scoured reviews while looking for vitamin supplements before getting this and they don't exaggerate -- you will be in a better mood/feel better. It's all good stuff in there.

(I have no affiliation with this product -- can only say firsthand that it helps with mood (health). Just be sure to shake it well before each use and keep refrigerated!)

Not a solution, but it's a heck of a good start, along with finding favorite old songs on YouTube.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Any or all of the following:

You get the idea.
All good ideas. To stop the 'over-thinking' I go do something.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:32 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
  1. Step 1
    Recognize that you are depressed. Most of us have an expectation that we are to be happy all the time. Life isn't that way. Life can be tough sometimes and it is normal to have feelings of depression occasionally.
  2. Step 2
    Talk about it with a confidential friend. Many people are helped by just talking about step one... "I am feeling depressed." Just verbalizing your struggle is a huge step toward recovery.
  3. Step 3
    Have patience. Some feelings of depression last a day, others weeks or months. This is where the tool of patience comes in. Take it one day at a time. If the feelings last for more than a month, consult your physician for some extra help.
  4. Step 4
    Keep moving. By it's very nature, depression brings you to a dark place and doesn't want to let you go. Figure out what you can continue doing to help keep your life moving. My first suggestion is exercise. The chemicals in your brain that are released counter the physical affects of depression and it gives your body a restart in the health department.
  5. Step 5
    Look for encouragement in the Bible. God has designed and built you. He knows you personally and offers help in every situation in life. The Bible is His word to you. Look up these verses for comfort and hope:
    *Psalm 42:5
    *Psalm 77
    *Philippians 4:6
    *Matthew 6
How to Fight Depression | eHow.com

You say you don't believe in a after life, but this is your life now. I don't know your spiritual beliefs or stance, but in private opening your soul and opening all the pain and helplessness and uncertainty and praying for help, asking for all that is divine and good to be part of your life, to ask for light and love and be wanting to give the same in return, you may find that relief and change may come to you. In my opinion it is a personal thing that should be private in a way because to boast of "knowing the truth" tends to become perverted by a unchecked tongue, which is why I don't talk about such things often but when you feel the real of it you know it anyway. I mention this now because you ask for possible relief to depression.

This website above was recently a starter point for bringing me back to where I knew I should have been anyway.

Some comforting points of wisdom

Matthew 6 - Passage*Lookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com
Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health